- Global Impact Investing Network
- Remote or New York / Hybrid
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- mail cover letter and CV to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. State “General Counsel _ First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your cover letter.
- Where to Apply
About the Job
The GIIN is currently at a dynamic point in its organizational life cycle, where emerging business needs and opportunities have necessitated the creation of our first, in-house, General Counsel role. Reporting to the Chief Program and Operating Officer, the General Counsel is a strategic partner to the leadership team. The General Counsel is expected to provide legal guidance and solutions that meet our business needs and allow us to maximize opportunities to achieve our mission while mitigating risk. The GC will also own the GIIN’s existing relationships with external pro bono counsel and ideally build new pro bono relationships as needed. The ideal candidate will be solutions oriented, creative, and genuinely enjoy creating concrete solutions in the face of ambiguity.
This position is part-time and is estimated to require 20 hours per week. Exact number of hours can be flexible according to the candidate’s needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Advise the CPOO and the Executive Team on mission-critical strategic priorities from a legal perspective and resolve legal questions associated with business needs.
* Work closely with the GIIN CFO to inform the design of new revenue models and ensure the compliance of our financial management systems with tax codes in multiple international jurisdictions.
* Draft, review, and negotiate contracts and legal agreements.
* Ensure the GIIN conducts operations in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations, foreign and domestic.
* Maintain strong relationships with existing pro bono external counsel and develop new relationships as needed to meet the GIIN’s business needs; manage the appropriate use of outside counsel and serve as a relationship manager for GIIN staff.
* Draft and file or deliver legal documents, including demand letters, employment VISA applications, and trademark applications.
* Represent the GIIN in legal proceedings or arbitration, if applicable.
Location: This position can be remote within the 50 United States or in-person, based in our New York City office with significant remote work flexibility offered through the GIIN’s hybrid in-person/remote work model. Candidates must possess valid authorization to work in the United States that does not require employment visa sponsorship.
Compensation: The GIIN is committed to pay equity. The salary range for this role is $65 per hour.
We aim to offer competitive salaries and benefits and are committed to equity, trust, and transparency in compensation. Basing compensation on someone’s willingness and ability to negotiate or on their prior salary leads to wide inequities and bias in how people are paid, particularly for groups experiencing historical oppression. Therefore, we do not ask for prior pay history from our candidates and our offer-making process is negotiation-free for salaries and benefits.
We determine the best possible salary offer based on relevant experience and the extent to which candidates demonstrate the competencies for the role during the entire hiring process. The GIIN also uses our annual performance evaluation process at the end of each year to determine raises.
The ideal General Counsel for the GIIN will be a proactive, solutions-oriented individual who enjoys building concrete solutions in the face of changing circumstances. The GIIN seeks a highly collaborative, forward-thinking individual who has a strong base of legal expertise as well as deep networks in the legal community.
* Prior experience serving as internal counsel to a growing nonprofit or business and a track record of creating solutions to maximize business opportunities, including navigating employment law, securities law, intellectual property law, tax law, data privacy laws, and other compliance issues and business counseling.
* Strategic thinker with impeccable ability to execute.
* Ability to process multi-dimensional and complex business needs into coherent viewpoints and solutions.
* Strong judgment and moral compass.
Strong networks in the legal community; ability to build and maintain strong internal relationships as well as those with external pro bono counsel.
* J.D. degree required.
* Commitment to equity and justice. Successful candidates will be aware that race, income, age, immigration status, sexual orientation, gender and gender expression, and other identities can play, and have historically played, a role in equity disparities, including within organizations. Successful candidates will be committed to continuous learning about diversity, equity, and inclusion and how to manifest these principles in the workplace.
Email cover letter and CV to Human Resources at email@example.com. State “General Counsel _ First Name Last Name” in the subject line of your email. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your cover letter.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. The GIIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Note: Candidates should be aware that all NYC-based staff must provide proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by GIIN Human Resources.