General Manager, East Africa
- African Management Initiative
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis so please submit ASAP explaining why you would be suitable for this role and providing current salary details. Applications close on October 15. Please also send any questions about the role to this address.
AMI is an entrepreneurial African social business that is pioneering a scalable approach to developing Africa’s management and business skills. We work with organizations to drive performance and empower their people through practical and accessible learning and coaching tools, delivered on web, mobile and in person.
AMI combines cutting-edge technology, world-class content, offline workshops and an innovative peer accountability process, helping groups of managers, professionals and entrepreneurs apply what they learn on the job to build their organisations.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have successfully raised impact investment, generated international press coverage with CNN, Euronews and the Financial Times among others, and already reached over 10,000 individuals in over 25 countries. We are looking for an exceptional entrepreneurial leader to help us move to the next level of scale as we target organisations in Kenya and the rest of East Africa.
The General Manager East Africa will leading AMI’s operations on the ground in East Africa and play a key role in driving business development. The position is based at AMI’s head office in Nairobi.
This is a chance for an outstanding entrepreneurial leader to be part of Africa’s transformation, and to help shape, build and scale one of the continent’s most innovative social impact businesses.
The General Manager East Africa must be a practical leader with a proven track record of working with high-growth entrepreneurial businesses in East Africa. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic international team, and will lead execution of AMI’s strategy and drive growth on the ground in East Africa.
Core responsibilities include managing AMI’s small but growing team and office in Nairobi, working closely with the business development team to expand our growing client pipeline, and building back office, operating, HR and reporting systems that will underpin AMI’s growth.
We are looking for someone with an impressive track record in sales and general management. Leadership experience at a senior level in a high-growth entrepreneurial environment is a must, and experience with learning and development, management education and training or enterprise development is strongly preferred. The candidate must be based in, or willing to relocate to Nairobi, Kenya.
Strategy, partnerships & brand |
– Work with the leadership team to help develop and implement overall strategy
– Identify, establish and manage new strategic partnerships to expand AMI’s reach in East Africa
– Take overall responsibility for establishing AMI’s brand at the forefront of learning and professionals development in East Africa
– Represent AMI at a senior level in East Africa
– Lead the Nairobi-based team serving East Africa, including day-to-day management
– Identify staff requirements; manage hiring, training and on-boarding process
– Maintain and improve HR systems, policies and processes, including contracts, compensation and benefits
– Drive team performance and manage performance reviews
B2B learning and development business |
– Lead development of new strategic partnerships in East Africa
– With head of business development, drive expansion of B2B sales footprint in East Africa, identifying new market segments and planning entry
– Provide senior support to sales and business learning team at ‘diagnosis and design’ stage of contracts, attending meetings with senior client representatives.
– Oversee client management and project implementation
– Oversee contract negotiation, pricing and invoicing of clients
– Oversee local marketing of AMI brand in East Africa, with support from marketing team
Operations & financial management |
– Oversee general office management, including managing rental and utilities agreements as well as procurement
– Maintaining and improving systems for delivering outstanding customer service to our online customers and offline partners.
– Overseeing management of AMI events, as and when required
– Working with external providers and the bank to manage and monitor book-keeping, payments, invoicing, payroll and all financial management for AMI Kenya.
– Working with external providers and the CEO to prepare group management accounts
– Working with external providers and CEO to ensure AMI meets its fiscal duties
Reporting & impact evaluation |
– KPIs: work with the CEO and senior management team to establish and monitor KPIs across the business
– Reporting: work with the CEO to prepare required materials for all internal and external reporting
– Impact evaluation: work with the CEO to establish systems for the monitoring and evaluation of AMI’s impact framework and targets.
Skills & attributes
· Ability to think strategically and creatively, and to execute methodically.
· Outstanding commercial savvy and negotiation skills, with an eye for opportunity and a knack for closing a deal
· Ability to create order from chaos. Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment but able to design and implement effective structures and policies.
· Enthusiasm and commitment for AMI’s vision of transformation through skills development
· Excellent networker with a strong existing network in East Africa. Ability to engage confidently at C-suite level
· Decision Making & Problem Solving Skills – ability to identify and resolve problems and generate alternative solutions
· Unflinching attention to detail. Outstanding organizational and administrative skills
· Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. Presentation Skills. Work well with people.
· Proven ability to build and lead a team, motivate staff, manage performance and drive delivery. Ability to work as part of a close-knit and collaborative cross-border leadership team.
· An unwavering commitment to AMI’s values of excellence, innovation and accountability.
· Willingness to engage in robust debate alongside deep respect for others
· Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
· Absolutely rock-solid integrity
Qualifications & Experience
· Minimum of 8 years experience in sales and/or business development and general management, with at least 3 years at a senior level (essential)
· Experience working in a leadership role in an entrepreneurial or high-growth environment in Africa (essential)
· Experience in management education, corporate training or enterprise development sector, ideally in programme design (strongly preferred)
· Experience in business operations and financial management, including managing budgets and KPIs (essential).
· Experience working with a social business or enterprise (preferred but not essential)
· Masters degree (MBA preferred) or equivalent experience
AMI will consider candidates from any country, but must be willing to live and work in Kenya with frequent travel in Africa.