General Manager Malawi
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Over the past three years, SunnyMoney www.sunnymoney.org has been the leading ‘last mile’
distributor of solar lights in Africa, selling an unprecedented 1.75 million lights. We currently operate in Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Kenya and Malawi. Our award winning work has kick-started solar markets across five countries and is providing economic opportunity for businesses and local entrepreneurs whilst making clean, safe light accessible in remote rural areas.
We are looking for a dynamic, bottom line driven sales and general management executive to lead our business operations in Malawi. He/she will be responsible for overall management of our country operations with a focus on sales of solar lights and chargers with application of sustainable management practices to ensure viable growth and success of our Malawi business. Ultimately he will contribute to the creation of a viable and vibrant solar market in off-grid communities in Malawi that will result in the elimination of the use of the paraffin lamp and cheap torches using disposable batteries in off grid communities.
Reporting to our Nairobi based CEO, the successful candidate will be responsible for development and delivery of the SunnyMoney business plan in Malawi with a key emphasis on ensuring cost effective route to market strategies, robust operational and sales management systems and effective cost control guided by principles of prudence and personal integrity. The candidate will be the most senior in-country member of staff and must thus have the ability and interpersonal skills to engage, collaborate and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders including staff, suppliers, government agencies, customers, funders and collaborators and especially in relation to variables that impact on business performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead the SunnyMoney operation in Malawi, maximising sales and profitability through effective route to market strategies and prudent cost management;
2. Reinforce the presence of SunnyMoney in Malawi as the leading solar distributor and respected brand with an unquestionable commitment to off grid communities in relation to their need for quality lights and chargers;
3. Work closely together with senior management in the SunnyMoney Global team to meet and
exceed all targets within our business plan;
4. Recruit, motivate and manage an appropriate team of A-player sales and support staff who will successfully work towards meeting organisational objectives;
5. Engage and work with key stakeholders necessary for the furtherance of the Organisational
Objectives to eliminate the use of the paraffin lamp in off grid communities in Malawi;
6. Oversee the preparation and timely submission of periodic management reports for ongoing
management oversight and periodic Board meetings in the correct format and to a high
7. Ensure the organisation is complying with all legal requirements in Malawi;
8. Work with Solar Aid staff and other funders to facilitate potential funding opportunities;
9. Represent the Organization in relevant forums and engagements in Malawi within the broad
framework of our Organisational objectives;
Person Specification Skills/ knowledge
1. Strong business planning, sales and operations management skills; Proven ability to creatively drive sales in rural settings through innovative route to market strategies;
2. Substantial staff management skills (recruiting, developing, motivating and rewarding for
3. Strong financial literacy skills (prepare budgets and financial reports to monitor expenditure
against budgets for management control)
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively represent the Organisation in
meetings and conferences and write clear and concise management and other reports;
5. Able to make optimal decisions from a range of options, initiate actions proactively and take full responsibility for the decisions made;
6. Excellent oral and written English. Knowledge of local languages, an advantage.
7. Computer literacy (project planning, spreadsheets, word processing, email/internet)
8. Educated to degree level (or considerable professional management and operational
9. Five years experience of leading successful commercial or social enterprises, preferably in rural Africa bottom of the pyramid;
10. Experience of managing human and financial resources that demonstrates ability to set
objectives, monitor and evaluate progress and outcomes.
1. Commitment to our mission and developing the solar market
2. Participative and collaborative working approach
3. Self-starting, passionate, trustworthy, dependable and decisive leader who communicates
effectively and consistently works efficiently to high standards.
Terms and conditions
– Full-time, Two years contract renewable
– Notice period: one week within probationary period, three months thereafter
– Annual leave: 25 days (calculated over 12 month period)
– Salary commensurate with experience. Salary : To be negotiated
– The employee will have a contract of employment containing more details of the terms and
conditions relating to the post.
– Location: Lilongwe, with frequent travel to regional offices and rural Malawi
Interested applicants please email CV together with a covering letter addressed to John Keane which explains how you meet the criteria in this job description to firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: Please entitle your email subject line with: Your Name and Ref: SunnyMoney General Manager Malawi and save letter together with CV in one attached file.
Deadline for applicants: 4th December 2015