General Manager, Uganda
- Impact Water
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Job Title: General Manager, Uganda
Organization: Impact Water
About Us: Impact Water is a for-profit, social enterprise dedicated to providing safe drinking water solutions at scale. We sell high-performing water purification systems to social institutions (like schools, hospitals and health clinics) and workplaces, often with zero-interest financing so that providing safe, great tasting drinking water to students, patients and employees is easier than ever. We’re the first drinking water solutions company to allow schools to time their installment payments with the receipt of schools fees. We’re also the first to provide a 2-year preventive maintenance program included in every installation. Impact Water is growing quickly and expects to reach 5,000 Ugandan schools by 2018 and to open two new country offices in 2017. Impact Water’s parent company, Impact Carbon, is a nonprofit with a 10 year track record in social enterprise.
Job Description: We seek an experienced business leader with entrepreneurial drive to manage operations, grow the business and increase profitability for the company in Uganda. The GM will be responsible for developing and executing national business strategy, as well as all financial, administrative and operational management. This person must enjoy a client-facing role and offer proven leadership and management skills in entrepreneurial contexts. The Ugandan office is Impact Water’s flagship office and this position offers a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing global social business with potential for promotion to a global leadership role and/or new country leadership assignments.
Specific position responsibilities include:
• Lead and manage Uganda operations, assuming full profit and loss (P&L) responsibility within 6-18 months
• Develop and execute responsive and appropriate operations management systems (procurement, inventory, sales, installations, maintenance and repair, customer service, impact measurement, finance and administration)
• Define department and team-level goals, ensuring full attainment with significant hands-on involvement; Note: active management is vital to the company’s ability to scale rapidly and in a cost-effective manner
• Manage country staff of 20+ members; hire, train and develop employees, and manage terminations when needed
• Represent the company to a diverse group of clients and stakeholders, including business partners, schools, health facilities, NGOs, and various levels of government
• Cultivate an entrepreneurial culture that develops and implements ideas in support of innovation and scale
• Produce satisfactory business performance reports (monthly, quarterly and annual)
• Demand integrity and verify the accuracy of information and adherence to company practices and protocols on an ongoing and steady basis; enforce zero tolerance for fraud
• Demonstrate professional growth potential and ability to assume greater levels of responsibility over time
Qualifications and Experience:
• Minimum of Master’s Degree in business administration or a related field or equivalent experience
• Extensive and proven team building, general management and business development experience in challenging environments
• Financial management experience, including internal controls and accountability
• P&L management experience and a track record in aggressively growing top and bottom lines
• Strong leadership, management, analytical, mentorship and organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal, cross-cultural, active listening, writing and presentation skills
• Intention to lead and grow Impact Water’s Uganda business for many years
• English proficiency with 100% fluency, additional language skills are welcome
• Experience in Africa and East Africa in particular is preferred
The General Manager will work from Impact Water’s Kampala office located in Muyenga. Frequent domestic travel will be expected, estimated to be 6-8 weeks per year. The GM will report to our Managing Director based in Lusaka and be expected to complete a three-month trial period.
Compensation is highly competitive and includes significant performance-based earning potential, as well as other relevant benefits for qualified candidates.
How to Apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please highlight your relevant experience. Please use the subject “General Manager” in all e-mail correspondence. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.