Ghana Country Director – VOTO Mobile
- VOTO Mobile
- Accra, Ghana
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
About the Role
You will be VOTO Mobile’s ambassador in Ghana and a leader within the M4D movement. Your main role is to make sure that every large development organization in Ghana knows about VOTO and our offering, to design impactful M4D interventions with these organizations, and supervise VOTO mobile’s service delivery in Ghana. More specifically:
- Create and oversee the implementation of an annual business plan to ensure growth and ever-greater contribution to social impact in Ghana.
- Work with partners to create and launch effective mobile engagement projects. This will include establishing and building relationships, co-designing projects, preparing budgets, writing concept notes, and responding to RFPs. This will be done in collaboration with NGOs, donors, social enterprises, private companies, government agencies, and research institutes. This will require you to become a world class M4D expert.
- Manage the Ghana Project Team and work with our global Operations team and Technical team to ensure our partnerships are successful and expectations are met.
- Manage the 3-2-1 Service: A free on-demand information resource accessible using simple mobile phones – a search engine for those without access to the Internet. Expand content available, develop commercial partnerships to diversify revenue, manage the relationship with the Mobile Network Operator (Vodafone)
- Represent VOTO to national government agencies and ensure organizational compliance with national regulatory bodies.
- Manage public relations efforts such as the development of annual reports, success stories, press releases and fact sheets
Reporting to: Regional Director, West & Central Africa
Line management of: Ghana Project team (x3)
- 8+ years of work experience. Bachelor\’s degree required, Master\’s degree preferred.
- Experience living and working in Ghana desirable
- Experience of 2+ years in as many of these contexts as possible: ICT4D, business development, startup, INGO, donor, social enterprise, mobile network operator.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills
- Proposal writing and budgeting skills
- Demonstrated self-management/
entrepreneurial skills. Adaptability and resourcefulness.
- Sense of humor; charming and fun personality.
VOTO Mobile is a fast growing social enterprise with offices in Canada, the US, Ghana, Senegal, Zimbabwe, Kenya and India. Our services help partners distribute and collect information by engaging difficult-to-reach populations through their mobile phones. We specialize in interactive voice calls (IVR) and SMS in local languages, instantly reaching across distance and literacy barriers. We serve a wide variety of use-cases including: journalists who run national public interest surveys, rural clinics who distribute maternal health education, policy makers who study vaccine supply chains, economic development organizations who reach out to farmers, urban planners who monitor water distribution access, and academics who research the effect of public health interventions. We also have an API used to empower entrepreneurs and higher-level mobile service providers.
In the 3 years since our launch, our product has been used by 500 organizations to reach over 5.6 million people across 40+ countries. We offer the most robust platform in the industry and work across all sectors. We have pioneered the set-up of international and local connections that allow us to call nearly every phone on the planet. Further, through conducting a number of tests, we have developed a large number of best practices that help our partners to push the boundaries of mobile engagement effectiveness and impact. This knowledge will soon be shared online in our “VOTO University”.
Some of our most active global users include: the World Bank, UNICEF, Stanford University, McKinsey & Company, Facebook, MIT, IDEO.org, Camfed, ONE Campaign, Innovations for Poverty Action, Vodafone Foundation, Farm Radio International, FHI360, and Equal Access.
Our culture and you
We believe that “More Voices leads to Better Choices”. This means giving valuable information to poor households to help them make better lifestyle decisions, and it also means giving a voice to those same households to influence national and development policy in their country. Three billion people are disconnected from the information economy and VOTO Mobile is using simple mobile technology to bridge the pervasive literacy, distance and infrastructure gaps.
VOTO Mobile is a technology startup. We are proud of our product, the leader in the M4D space. We are the only platform that integrates both IVR and SMS, that is set up to call every phone on the planet, and has a unique “smart delivery node” that allows organizations to perform their mobile engagement programing even in the context of non-reliable internet connections. We are at the cutting edge of M4D.
We currently have almost 50 employees, the majority of which are based in Ghana. We have a near even gender split, and a wide diversity of backgrounds. We are 3.5 years old and have been doubling our staff every year – something we are also hoping to maintain. Our ambition and growth creates a need for reliable people who can step in and be successful in their area of responsibility, and build the systems needed to grow that area.
We have a very supportive team culture. We have a learning approach and understand that most of us are working outside of our comfort zone. If you ask anyone at VOTO what their favorite part of working here, they’ll say the team… even those who are working remotely!
If you are interested in helping 3 billion people get connected to the information economy, please consider joining VOTO. VOTO Mobile is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and are excited to receive applications from female candidates and diverse backgrounds, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Send your CV and any other useful information to: email@example.com. Please include the wording “Ghana Country Director” in the subject line of your email.
More information: www.votomobile.org/careers