Global Operations Fellow
- Where to Apply
Who we are
At EarthEnable, we believe that our clients deserve our very best, that morning high-fives are the best way to start the day, and that the best ideas could come from any part of the company. We celebrate each other’s wins, learn from our setbacks, and are deeply proud of the impact we make every day. We believe that a clean, dust-free floor means more than living in a healthy home. It means pride and dignity in the place our customers most treasure: their homes. Being a part of our team means more than building floors: it means building an organization and building a better future for rural families.
What we do
EarthEnable is transforming the way people live, by making homes healthier for families across rural Rwanda. 80% of Rwandans live in homes with dirt floors which are dusty, unsanitary, and fertile breeding grounds for parasites and germs. While replacing a dirt floor with concrete has significant health benefits (e.g. reducing diarrhea by 50% and parasitic infections by 80%), concrete is unaffordable for many who need it.
EarthEnable addresses this pressing and ubiquitous problem by selling high-quality, earthen floors that are 80% cheaper than concrete with 90% less embedded energy. Earthen floors are already prevalent in modern homes in the United States and are composed of natural materials (gravel, clay, sand, and laterite). EarthEnable trains and hires local masons to install the floors which are sealed using a proprietary drying oil that makes them waterproof, strong, and polished. In our first 3 years of operations, EarthEnable has installed over 40,000 square meters of flooring and employed over 200 Rwandese staff.
About the role
We are looking for a dynamic and gritty Global Operations Fellow who is excited to build a fast-growing and high-impact organization alongside a passionate team. The Global Operations Fellow would develop, improve, and implement our systems, find areas for continuous operational efficiency improvements, and be a strategic thought partner to the CEO and Board. We are looking for a leader and manager who can take us to the next level and beyond.
• Continuously improve and implement systems to scale (construction planning, inventory management, supply chain management, quality control management, customer relations management, financial management, etc.)
• Integrate software platforms as appropriate
• Continuously assess and refine incentive systems
• Identify and implement continuous process efficiency improvements
• Recommend refine and adapt business model to fit the Rwandese context based on field learnings
• Manage research and development agenda to continuously improve floor quality and customer service
• 2 years of work experience, ideally in management consulting and operations
• Experience with fast-growing social ventures is a plus
• Desire to live, work, and travel around East Africa (likely Rwanda, but potentially another country in the region) for several years
• Excellent analytical skills, including Excel modelling and data analysis
• Experience living and working in a developing country, preferably in Rwanda/East Africa
• Strong understanding of accounting, budget management, and financial management
• Hard working and gritty to push through challenges
• Flexible and adaptable to changing environments; thrives in a bootstrapped culture
• Ability to work on a variety of tasks at the same time
• Maturity and poise under stress
• Passionate about international development and social enterprise
• Entrepreneurial attitude, creative problem solver, patient team-player with a sense of humor
• Graduate degree (MBA, MPA/ID, MPA, etc.) a plus, but not required
Apply online at www.earthenable.org/applynow.