Global Security Advisor
- East Africa-Nairobi, Kenya preferred
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Where to Apply
Title: Global Security Advisor
Reports to: Director of Security
Department : Executive, HQ
Duty Station: Preferred location: Nairobi, Kenya. Other locations to be determined by home country of successful candidate within the East Africa Region where Alight is registered to operate
Hello Hello! Welcome, they’re happy you’re here!
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. They know they need to always be better, and they believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as they help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, they ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
The Security Department provides leadership, direction, guidance, oversight and monitoring of all aspects of field safety and security within the Alight and its affiliates.
Primary purpose of the position
The main purpose of this role is to provide security and crisis leadership for Alight’ global operation with a main focus on the operations in Africa that is informed by an understanding of the complex operating context to help the organization deliver programs, respond to changes quickly and systematically manage security risks to an acceptable level. The work involves contributing to the creation of an adaptive and resilient organization that is prepared for, responds well to, and recovers quickly from adverse events using a ‘continuous improvement’ approach. In addition, providing support and as a member of the global team, including providing surge capacity and acting as Director of Security when needed. Importantly, this role is tasked with seeing the bigger picture, thinking collaboratively, and taking action.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY – PRIMARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES
The Global Security Advisor shall, as directed by and in close coordination with the Director of Security:
• Advise and support the Country Directors on all aspects of security risk management, crisis readiness and preparedness regarding maintaining the safety and security of Alight personnel, operations, and facilities.
• Undertake security risk assessments/ ad hoc security risk managements analyzing security factors and levels of risk related to Alight activities and programmes
• Evaluate existing security risk management measures to determine their appropriateness and identify areas needing improvement. Follow up with actions to oversee or implement those improvements
• Make visits to field sites to monitor security preparedness
• Work closely with the external security service providers and make sure they are well aware of the Alight security management protocols and guidelines.
• Develop and maintain relationships with security-related actors, including Host Government law enforcement authorities and other stakeholders to ensure effective information sharing
• All other duties assigned by the Director of Security
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in related area
• NGO security, military or law enforcement background
• Minimum of eight years implementing humanitarian field security programs strongly desired
• Extensive knowledge and working experience from the East Africa Region including the Horn of Africa (Somalia and Ethiopia)
• Experience working in humanitarian operations in conflict and post-conflict settings a plus
• Experience conducting training for small groups
• Familiarity with humanitarian mission, mandate, and principles
• Knowledge of security management principles in complex environments – conflict, post-conflict, and disaster settings
• Knowledge of risk assessment and mitigation methodologies
• Familiarity with current global humanitarian and security issues
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to influence and deliver effective organizational outcomes related to all aspects of security and risk management.
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Working knowledge of Somali language desired.
• Strong analytical skills
• Solid presentation skills
• Proficient with MS Office tools: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• One-to-one interviews or small group facilitation
• Research using available open sources
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to establish effective relationships at senior levels, gain credibility and influence senior decision makers.
• Solid interpersonal, negotiating and networking skills. Strong analytical (tactical & strategic), organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Must be able to travel to international sites as needed. Position requires 40% travel to austere and complex environments.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
• Design, develop, deliver, and facilitate training at multiple levels
• Conduct presentations at the senior and executive levels
• Organize and prioritize tasks, requirement, functions, and projects
• Strong interest and knowledge in international affairs
• Solid judgement
• Ability to accurately assess situations and provide appropriate guidance without undue influence from external entities
• Maintain confidentiality and discern when specific information should be brought forward to supervisor/leadership (delegation and escalation)
• Ability/flexibility to travel for unpredictable and extended periods of time to difficult and rustic areas with limited or no amenities of comfort
They are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.