Government Services Manager – Ethiopia
- One Acre Fund
- Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
- Contact Information
Exceptional leader to oversee the field operations of our primary government services program in Ethiopia.
Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
African governments have the most presence in rural communities of any entity. One Acre Fund has partnerships with three African governments and is seeking to grow these efforts and establish new partnerships to increase yields for farm families. Our Government Services Unit does not simply write reports and drop them off at government offices – we work closely with national, regional, and local officials to improve the design of services provided by the government and to work side by side with the government in the field to ensure high quality implementation.
In Ethiopia, the Government employs tens of thousands of qualified extension agents with nationwide coverage in many markets. We are working with the Ethiopian government to update the information which the extension system is disseminating to farmers, improve the delivery of this information at the village level, and promote adoption of best agricultural practices to significantly increase yields for farm families. Our current partnership with the extension system affects over 150,000 teff farm families in Amhara Region, and operations involve over 700 extension agents and 7000 model farmers. We are also trialing larger innovations with the extension system, from designing and manufacturing simple handheld tools to improve planting practices to use of new technologies such as video and mobile to get the right information into farmer’s hands.
We are seeking an exceptional individual to join this early-stage team and manage the field operations of this program to enhance farmer education and extension agent field strategies. In addition to ensuring impeccable implementation, you will oversee program planning, expansion, refinement and content creation while building a world-class team.
Key responsibilities and skills will include:
- Manage Program Execution: You’ll lead the team that is ultimately responsible for the timely implementation of our unique program that fights poverty and hunger on a daily basis. You exemplify our belief in putting Farmers First by determining and implementing methods to deliver on plans and keep our program growing in scale and impact from season to season. You’ll systematically review what works and what doesn’t, and you\’ll integrate this knowledge into a continually improving program. This will include contributing to developing our overall growth strategy and adjusting the design of operations to maximize our impact.
- Manage Key Relationships: You will lead staff who are responsible for managing relationships with local government partners. You’ll work through strategy and messaging with them on a regular basis so that the program can grow in impact and scale. Your team will also be responsible for updating key officials.
- Lead Content Creation: Your team will develop and improve essential content for the extension system, from simple pictorial guides for farmers to training guides for extension staff, to drive behavior change and maximize our impact in the field.
- Team Leadership and Staff Development: You’re passionate about people development. To scale this operation, you will need to build a team of top national team members. You’ll plan and oversee teambuilding, ensure accountability, and find creative ways to inspire and unite a large team. You’ll establish and cultivate strong relationships to ensure that all staff on the Field Operations team can maximize their career performance and job satisfaction as part of the One Acre Fund family. You’ll epitomize One Acre Fund’s value of being a family of leaders by developing and maintaining processes ensuring that everyone is continually mentored, challenged, and supported by the organization.
- Innovation Strategy: You dream big – you’ll be creating and supporting ideas that will help One Acre Fund reach its goal of serving 1 million farmers by 2020. Among other things, this will entail providing regular feedback on trial ideas and practical support to our innovation team as they work to integrate new products and new program design ideas into our core program.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking candidates with 3-5+ years of work experience and a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience (e.g. leading a conference, starting a business, solid Peace Corps accomplishments).
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work.
- A proven passion for developing the skills and leadership capacity of others.
- Experience managing multiple projects and the deliverables of others.
- Top-performing academic background (include GPA on your resume)
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: Starts modest. However, this is a career-track role with fast raises for performance, paying a meaningful salary for long-term placement in developing nations.
Benefits: Health insurance, immunizations, flight, room and board.
Sponsor International Candidates: Yes
To apply, please click the following link and complete the application on our website. http://grnh.se/8d1sji