Grant and Donor Communications Writer
- Living Goods
- San Francisco, CA
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
In the last two years Living Goods rapidly scaled our impact and size to reach more almost seven million people across the developing world. We are on a rapid growth trajectory and our path to success requires changing the way local governments, the biggest non-governmental organizations, and public and private funders plan, finance, and deliver community health. To make this a reality, Living Goods will need to raise an ambitious level of funds.
At Living Goods, you will have the chance to use your creativity and work with your teammates to innovate and test new ideas every day. We think big, but we operate small and nimble. If you work well in a dynamic, collaborative culture, if you set high standards, if you know how to fail fast and learn fast, if you meet challenges with determination and a sense of humor, you will thrive at Living Goods.
We are seeking a highly capable and motivated Grant and Donor Communications Writer to serve as a key member of our fundraising team. You will be responsible for developing funding proposals, producing reports and other donor communications materials, and writing and editing content about Living Goods’ work and impact. After receiving in-depth exposure to our programs and becoming an expert in our work, this individual will soon be writing proposals and reports for our strategic funding partners. You will help our development team operate efficiently to win new awards, streamline our writing and reporting processes, and ensure we’re communicating effectively with our key stakeholders. This position can be located in San Francisco or Washington D.C.
You will thrive in this role if….
You have a passion for translating complicated ideas into powerful content that wins hearts and minds. You are a versatile and inspiring writer, with strong business acumen, solid experience writing for a diverse funder audience, and a passion for international development. You have a unique ability to understand complex programs and needs and craft strategic proposals tailored to the funding opportunity at hand – whether it’s for an individual donor, a complex foundation, or a corporate partner.
You’re a hungry learner. You’re excited to soak up information while learning and continuously improving. You bring a problem-solving orientation to your work and instinctively seek opportunities for reflection and feedback. You have a knack for strengthening processes and systems to improve quality and efficiency.
You appreciate quality data. You’re diligent about maintaining accurate, up-to-date records because you know that strong knowledge management is the foundation for solid writing. This attention to detail permeates your work.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions to obstacles. You can juggle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritizing.
You want to learn and grow with us. You’re excited to take on new projects and learn new skills and always have an eye out for professional development opportunities. Living Goods is an organization quickly growing and changing where opportunities for growth and advancement are available to those who excel. We plan to expand our business development team over the next few years and are looking for someone who is interested in building a career with the organization in the long term.
* Write proposals and grant applications, in collaboration with other members of the team.
* Produce and/or edit reports and other communications for donors and clients to demonstrate Living Goods’ impact and results.
* Research information and statistics needed to support proposals and reports. Monitor developments within the development sector using published reports and articles.
* Craft compelling content and stories to illustrate the impact of Living Goods for donor materials (e.g. fact sheets, annual report, pitch decks) and online communications.
* Manage opportunities and proposals in our grants management software, including maintaining accurate records of proposals and reports, tracking deadlines, and ensuring that documentation is up-to-date for access by other team members.
* Propose and implement process improvements for greater effectiveness in our communication with donors, including drafting compelling response to donors when needed and maintaining and updating a database of core language and stock responses that team members can draw from.
* Other related research, writing, and editing tasks, as assigned.
* Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, communications, English or related field, or equivalent experience required. Candidates with journalism experience and/or MFAs encouraged.
* A minimum of two years of professional experience in writing, editing, or producing print and online content. Experience in grant writing and fundraising is preferred but not required.
* Very strong communication skills. At its core, this position is about communicating complex ideas simply and effectively; we are looking for candidates who can demonstrate their ability to do so.
* An ability to understand business and work with impact data. Our funders are sophisticated and many of them come from business and/or international development. They look for business rationale, simple language, logical flow, and clear data analysis.
* Excellent research skills and experience conducting research in a professional environment. An ability to process and synthesize data and research into clear and convincing materials for a wide range of audiences. Attentive to nuance and your audience.
* Proficient at all aspects of Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
* Experience working with Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, and Photo Shop to format and design writing materials is a plus.