GSBI Alumni Engagement Program Manager
- Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship at Santa Clara University
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Cyndy Ainsworth
Founded in 1997, Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship is one of three Centers of Distinction at Santa Clara University. Miller Center accelerates global, innovation-based entrepreneurship in service to humanity. Its strategic focus is on poverty eradication through three departments: the Global Social Benefit Institute (GSBI®), Impact Capital, and Education and Action Research.
The GSBI supports social entrepreneurs (SEs) who are developing innovative solutions to the problems of poverty and climate change. GSBI supports these entrepreneurs at every stage of their organization’s lifecycle through in-depth mentoring, instruction in best business practices, and connection to impact investors through three distinct capacity development programs: GSBI Boost, GSBI Online, and GSBI Accelerator. As of November 2015, 281 SEs have completed our GSBI Accelerator or GSBI Online programs.
GSBI Alumni are an important asset to Miller Center and Santa Clara University. For example, the Global Social Benefit Fellowship program places high-potential, interdisciplinary teams of juniors in the field to conduct action research for GSBI alumni, providing transformational social justice learning experiences. Maintaining strong relationships to them is essential to our future success and for effecting SCU’s strategic plan. The GSBI Alumni Engagement Program Manager will lead the development of an active, collaborative network of GSBI Online or GSBI Accelerator alumni and create programs to enhance the ongoing value of Miller Center and Santa Clara to those organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Alumni engagement: lead the development of and implement strategies to engage GSBI alumni across Miller Center departments and Santa Clara University, with particular focus on how to help GSBI Alumni scale their impact.
1. Create an active GSBI Alumni online community (GSBI Connect) by articulating value exchange; set and meet or exceed metrics for alumni engagement, participation, and contribution.
2. Research, select, and implement appropriate technology platforms that foster communication among the GSBI Alumni community and facilitate connections to impact investors.
3. Conduct ongoing needs assessment and translate findings to continual improvement of online resources available through Connect.
4. Partner with Miller Center business development to evaluate, select, and promote pro bono services useful to GSBI alumni, through strategic partnerships with accounting, legal, design, and other services firms.
4. Research, curate, and promote existing and new resources and opportunities available to GSBI Alumni.
5. Assess follow-on training needs based on alumni feedback; collaborate with Miller Center staff and other SCU units to develop and deliver appropriate training.
6. Develop and implement an integrated event strategy, both virtual and in-country, to create a sense of community among GSBI Alumni.
7. Partner with Miller Center marketing to curate and promote newsworthy events from GSBI Alumni community to media and the social enterprise and impact investing ecosystems.
8. Provide ongoing information to GSBI Alumni about potential funding sources and facilitate access to financial capital appropriate to their sectors, geographies, and lifecycle stages
Data management: Develop and implement strategies that enable ongoing collection and analysis of key impact metrics for GSBI Alumni organizations.
1. Ensure Miller Center records are up-to-date and available with information on the social enterprise (organization) and the social entrepreneur (individual). Develop and continually improve processes that ensure basic contact information as well as impact metrics, major milestones, funding successes, and media coverage are stored in a centralized database.
2. Recommend and implement enhancements to the platforms used to collect and store GSBI Alumni to improve ease of access and usability by Miller Center for business development, marketing, and other uses.
Internal and external collaboration: Understand, promote, and develop opportunities for GSBI Alumni to take advantage of the broader base of resources and support within Miller Center, across the University, and though external partners.
1. Regularly analyze and report on trends in social entrepreneurship and impact investing to ensure the ongoing relevance of GSBI services to our alumni.
2. Use the knowledge gained from the GSBI Alumni community to contribute to the development of Miller Center strategic objectives and the ongoing refinement of all GSBI programs.
3. Serve as primary point of contact for internal and external partners providing services, seeking information, and seeking connections to GSBI Alumni.
This position requires the ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a fast-paced, diverse, multicultural environment.
• Ability to partner effectively with social entrepreneurs, volunteer mentors, Miller Center staff, and other members of the social enterprise ecosystem
• Ability to work on a flexible schedule, including ability to work online remotely, participate in early morning and evening calls, and participate in occasional weekend events
• Some travel, including travel to developing countries, is required
• Experience living and working in the developing world, ideally working directly with a social enterprise; experience participating in, or working in, a capacity development training program a plus
• Experience building or managing community/multiple stakeholder engagements
• At least three years of experience in the field of social enterprise
• A minimum of five years progressively responsible work experience, including program management activities
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including strong writing skills
• Ability to handle multiple projects, set priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain a high level of performance
• Proficient with PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Docs for reporting, information sharing, and collaboration; experience with Salesforce strongly preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; Masters in Business Administration or similar coursework preferred
For a complete job description and an opportunity to apply, please visit: