Head of Engineering – Zoona Digital
- Zoona Transactions
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Zoona is an African Start-up that offers Emerging Entrepreneurs an opportunity to provide money transfer and other payment services to their communities, while earning commissions and creating employment. We provide a mobile money platform, working capital financing, business management tools and entrepreneurial support focused on helping businesses grow and increasing financial inclusion in Africa.
As part of Zoona’s next chapter, we invested heavily in building a world-class Fintech digital banking platform that we are now leveraging to roll out digital profiles and offering mobile-first financial services to our customers as well as building Open API’s for 3rd party companies and applications to leverage our financial platform and regulatory licenses.
We are currently looking for an exceptional and visionary technology leader who will lead the Engineering team of Zoona Digital to best align business and technology strategy to drive the success of this disruptive and innovative team.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
DRIVE TECHNICAL STRATEGY
– Set the technology vision for Zoona Digital services and define the long-term goals and strategies
– Provide expert technical guidance to all functional areas, including strategy, operations, and product
– Involvement in the direction for Zoona’s Open API strategy and fintech marketplace
– Work with the Digital Product team to ensure a unified strategy and prioritised digital product roadmap
– Manage the blend between driving innovation and ensuring scalability
– Drive continuous product improvement across the digital product portfolio
– Identify opportunities and challenges in the marketplace, with constant evaluation of technological advancements and innovation to mitigate impediments and drive success
– Evaluate and identify appropriate technology platforms to drive growth, profitability, and value
– Lead ecosystem partnerships and relationships as a senior technical expert to drive growth
– Effectively align resources to achieve key business priorities, including appropriate scope, high quality, and timely product releases
– Build an efficient and agile end-to-end application infrastructure, with best practices in software delivery
– Proactively mitigate business, operational and governance risks while remaining innovative and aligned to business priorities
– Enabling Open API and API management that enables 3rd Party applications to leverage Zoona’s Fintech platform
– Align with the group CTO around internal processes and external services comply with security and privacy regulations
– Define the correct blend of repeatability and consistency vs. speed of delivery for product for quality assurance for all digital products and services
DRIVE TALENT & TEAMS
– Cultivate a high performing, one-team engineering culture emphasizing customer centricity, innovation, growth, business value and development
– Evangelize technical vision and strategy internally and externally
DAY TO DAY TEAM CADENCE
– Work together with Product Managers to plan and execute projects
– Ensure that the engineering team has appropriate product and technical specifications and direction as well as resources
– Manage prioritisation of roadmap aligned to business priorities
– Develop products effectively and establish realistic estimates for timelines
– Develop quick prototypes to test the market
– Constantly seek improvement on the SDLC and CI/CD
– Responsible for the quality of code and QA sign-off on each production release
– Stay up to date with the newest technologies in the market and review how to leverage these
– Help developers resolve technical problems
– Monitor team performance and guide delivery and timing
– Provide leadership and guidance to teams
– Collaborate with the group CTO on system architecture
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
– 10+ years of software engineering experience, with at least half of that time at a high growth tech company
– Experience leading and scaling a high growth start-up
– An entrepreneurial spirit that can operate independently with little direction
– Proven track record of demonstrating ability to scale and build large engineering teams from scratch
– Proven track record of bringing highly-rated mobile and web applications to market in a startup environment
– Experience managing engineering teams of 3 years or more, preferably at a high growth tech company
– Experience with software best practices in:
– Continuous integration/continuous deployment
– Microservices architecture and design patterns
– Full stack developer (Android, Web, Back-end).
– Understanding of Microservice Architecture
– Kafka or other distributed messaging layers
– Functional Language (Clojure advantage)
– Hunger for experimentation
– Managed Engineering teams of +4 people
– Experience in FinTech or basic accounting
– Agile and Scrum
– Values fit: You must live and breathe Zoona’s values of Being Real, Entrepreneurship, Integrity, Commitment, Togetherness, and Fun in both your professional and personal life.
– Multiplier leader: You must be a consistent A-player and Multiplier leader who is never satisfied with the status quo and constantly seeks to learn and improve.
– Flexible and Agile: In a rapidly growing company like Zoona, the only constant is change Agility and an ability to fail quickly and learn are a key part of how we work.
– Confidence and belief: You must possess the highest confidence and belief in yourself, your teammates, and your direct reports.
– Performance under pressure: You must consistently meet and deliver on rising expectations and make an impact immediately.
– Passionate about your field: You must have a passion for learning and its role in creating value and driving impact to change the world.
WHO WE ARE
In Africa, high unemployment, frequent household shocks, and a lack of access to formal financial services create the need for people to rely on their extended families and communities for financial support.
Zoona exists to make a difference. We start by identifying emerging entrepreneurs and providing them with a franchise “business-in-a-box” solution to make money and serve their communities as Zoona agents and tellers. We specifically focus on girls and young women who can multiply our impact by becoming role models and accelerating the Girl Effect in their communities.
Our core service is to help people send and receive money when they need to most. By consistently delivering an exceptional experience when it truly matters, we will earn the trust of our consumers and create wealth and well-being for our agents and tellers. We will nurture these relationships and listen attentively to our customers to develop a suite of innovative financial services that solve real pain points and enhance their dignity.
This is how we will help communities thrive.
We are based in Cape Town, South Africa, with trading operations in Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique. We have attracted $26 million in international venture capital investment, have grown to 2 million active customers, and have processed over $2 billion in transaction value across a network of 2,000 agent outlets that employ 3,000 people.
But we are just getting started. Over the next 5-years, we will:
– Become the leading financial services brand for 30 million monthly active consumers
– Develop a high-performing customer-centric culture where people are unleashed to fulfil their potential
– Establish the top-performing and most-trusted agent network in 10 countries
– Build a highly flexible and robust FinTech platform that adapts to customer needs and industry standards
We bring together the drive of young entrepreneurs and the power of cutting-edge technology to bring safe and reliable financial services to underserved communities all over Africa.
We have support offices in South Africa with operations in Zambia, Malawi, and Mozambique. Since inception we have processed over $2 billion in transactions and been recognised by the Nike Foundation and the Unreasonable Group as one of the top ten start-ups best positioned to take girls out of poverty by helping them become entrepreneurs.
Please have a look at this video to learn more about our business: https://youtu.be/ki6gj9GEVqI