Head, Marketing & Communications
- Husk Power Energy Systems Nigeria Limited
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Fill the application online by using the link
- Where to Apply
When people have electricity, incredible things happen. Placing ‘power’ in the hands of rural customers helps them realize their aspirations and dreams that they never thought could happen. Making this possible in every village is at the heart of everything we do.
Husk is the industry leader in Asia and Africa, operating the largest fleet of community solar microgrids, and offering a range of clean energy services, including power sales, appliance sales and financing, and rural C&I. We provide reliable power to households and businesses, entirely from renewable energy sources – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – at a price they can afford.
We design, build, own and operate the lowest cost hybrid power plant and distribution network in India and Africa. We offer our customers a flexible ‘pay-as-you-go’ energy service, using a smart, scalable digital solution. We provide low-cost energy that matches the growing needs of our customers; for households, community services and productive uses. Our grid-compatible solution can be rolled out quickly and cost effectively to support national electrification plans.
In Nigeria, Husk has 12 microgrids in operation, with the capacity to impact 50,000 people, and is significantly reducing the use of expensive, polluting diesel generation. Husk is poised to grow rapidly over the next four years, and envisions building 500 microgrids in the country during that period as part of its “Nigeria Sunshot” initiative.
Are you a determined and friendly professional with an advanced understanding of human behavior and a desire to help consumers find exactly the right product or service to suit their needs? Are you a stellar communicator and storyteller? Would you like to pioneer new, data-driven marketing strategies that will unlock the vast potential of the rural customers in Nigeria and other parts of sub-Saharan Africa? If so, you might be a great fit for our company. The ideal candidate for this position has a positive attitude, a tireless work ethic and an insatiable appetite for growth.
Husk is seeking an experienced leader for the role of Head of Marketing & Branding in Nigeria. This individual will play an integral role in the creating high-impact Go-to-Market (GTM) strategies for its three business lines (microgrids, energy efficient appliances and C&I), designing creative campaigns, benchmarking performance of all campaigns, effectively utilizing marketing analytics and ultimately driving the initiatives responsible for attracting potential customers as well as retaining existing ones. The candidate is expected to drive sales through effective marketing campaigns, manage and motivate the team under him/her and coordinate and implement all marketing campaigns in the field. The candidate is expected to analyze daily, weekly and monthly results, spot trends and act on them quickly. We are looking for someone who has a solid experience in managing customer relationship and loves to grow customer satisfaction. This position provides the opportunity to join a growing team that is changing the face of rural electrification in many countries in India and Africa, including Nigeria.
Key responsibilities include:
• Design GTM strategies to drive growth of customer base by 10x in 3 years.
• Devise effective traditional and digital marketing plan and engagement process for
rural customer base.
• Organize brand promotion and awareness in our communities of operation to meet
the aspirations of rural customers.
• Hire a team of marketing associates and help field sales team acquire customers for
Husk microgrids and for energy efficient electrical appliances (household and
• Leverage customer data and focus groups to create relevant insights that can be
used to define strategic and targeted marketing activities.
• Communicate with senior management about marketing initiatives and project
• Build a measurement system for determining the success of each marketing
program. Measure and report performance of all campaigns, and assess against
goals (ROI and KPIs).
• Leverage Husk strategic partnership with OEMs and other stakeholders (across
countries) to build co-branded marketing and branding plan.
Overall leadership and management
• Lead overall GTM strategy across entire product and services portfolio that Husk
offers to customers in all states of operation.
• Prepare and manage marketing budget for Nigeria.
• Recruit and lead a stellar team of marketing personnel to drive our goal of rapid
customer acquisition and ensure retention.
• Ensure the sales and operations team is seamlessly plugged in the marketing
activities to ensure ongoing customer acquisition and product/service sales.
• Mentor direct reports to cultivate skills that makes our B2C strategy successful on
• Support the implementation of creative technology solutions for the brand that
increase efficiency, reduce spend and increase marketing reach.
• Prepare marketing report by collecting, analyzing and summarizing campaign and
GTM strategy and managing marketing & brand campaigns
• Manage the execution of marketing plans and programs, both short and medium
range, to support sales and revenue objectives.
• Develop B2C electrical appliance sales campaigns to capitalize on festival season and
encourage our customers to acquire modern branded appliances like LED TVs, fans,
refrigerators and freezers etc.
• Identify weaknesses in existing marketing campaigns and develop pragmatic
solutions within budgetary constraints.
• Engage creative agencies to help produce stellar and effective campaign collaterals.
• Identify strategically aligned local partnership opportunities (traditional and non-
traditional) and develop local programs (including outlet visibility and activation) to
Analytics and generating actionable insights
• Analyze historical data from campaigns and available research reports to build and
improve marketing campaigns regularly.
• Use data to inform decision-making for strategy development and adjustments as
• Track platform engagement and effectiveness through appropriate analytical tools
• Exceeding customer expectation is what Husk aspires to do every day. You will be
responsible for developing a customer satisfaction model and tracking satisfaction
• Ensure that customer satisfaction matrix is deployed at multiple tiers
Finance and Budget Management
• Track fluid on-the-go budget spend framework informed by real-time campaign
performance analysis that minimizes ineffective spend and maximizes ROI
• Track costs across agencies and technology platform spend
• Track marketing ROI by optimizing content and channel marketing investments
• Test faster and lower cost options for acquiring, engaging and retaining consumers
• Bachelor’s degree is required;
• MBA (with a Marketing concentration) is strongly preferred
Relevant Experience in years:
• 7+ years of total experience in Consumer Marketing function (B2C) with a preference
to the ones who are exposed to retail/fast moving consumer goods industry
• Proven track record of innovative consumer marketing accomplishments/high
impact results (based on metrics/ROI)
• Good understanding of consumer insights and primary research concepts and
tactics such as home use testing, focus groups, surveys, attitudinal, ethnographic
and concept testing.
• Ability to work under pressure and to deadline in an independent capacity. To be a
self-starter and self-motivator, working effectively with minimal direction
• Strong in storytelling and have excellent communication skills
• Analytically inclined with ability to run numbers to determine ROI and effectiveness
• Passion for rural development; experience in rural markets a plus
• Influential leader. Knows how to build, communicate and defend a position and has
a demonstrated ability to engage and influence others—up, down and across—to
• Experience in FMCG/telecom/MFI sector preferred
Location and Travel:
• This role is based in Abuja, Nigeria
• Intermittent travel to rural areas required.
This is an exhaustive list of all principal accountabilities, dimension of the job, and person specifications. While this is intended to be accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g. emergencies, change in personnel, workload, technological developments, or organization developments).