Head of Operations
- Bicycles Against Poverty
- Job Type
BAP Finance is hiring a Head of Operations!
We are recruiting a Head of Operations to help BAP venture through an exciting time of rapid growth and scale throughout Uganda. Over the next three years BAP Finance aims to increase our reach by over ten times our current rate by growing our customer base, adding new products, and opening up new offices.
This role will be starting in November 2018 and is based in Kampala, Uganda with 50% travel required to field branches.
BAP Finance is delivering the products and services to rural farmers to unlock potentials and propel communities forward. To catalyze farmers to realize their potential BAP offers asset financing directly to the BoP. Our first product, a bicycle, connects farmers to market and other basic life needs. Our portfolio is growing with new assets that push upward mobility.
To date we’ve disbursed over 3,000 loans that increase income by over 35% for our farming customers. Our portfolio and product offerings are rapidly growing as we add new income-generating agricultural assets each quarter. We are scaling our operations by growing from our current base of 1,000 customers a year to reach 15,000 in the next three years.
We are dedicated to serving farmers who are financially excluded and moving them out of extreme poverty. Our goal is to reach one million farmers by 2030.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a hungry, passionate, dedicated and business-savvy individual to take BAP to scale in the next three years. You will lead the team through rapid growth and transformation. You will be creating and implementing an operations strategy that delivers IT and process solutions to revolutionize how BAP approaches our procurement and business model delivery whileworking with BAP’s Director of Finance and Operations on key strategies. You will work relentlessly to ensure that BAP hits our target of serving 15,000 farming customers in the next three years.
This is an exciting time for BAP and an equally exciting position. You will be the one leading our scale strategy first-hand. If you want autonomy in your work and to be part of a social venture history then this is the right role for you.
LOCATION: Uganda: split between Kampala and Northern Uganda
REPORTS TO: Finance and Operations Director DIRECT REPORTS: Operations Associate, HR Associate
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE
Operations and Logistics, you will:
• Analyse our existing processes and identify opportunities for improvement
• Lead and implement improvement initiatives for operational processes and policies (Credit, HR, Finance), such as building a system for client feedback and improving review of portfolio management.
• Oversee supply chain management for loan products (bicycles, oxen, grinding mills, etc.)
• Implement technical solutions to enhance our credit scoring, monitoring and operational efficiency by identifying and managing relationships with relevant external partners and suppliers.
• Spearhead adoption of tech internally.
Management and Talent Development, you will:
• Oversee, develop and drive major components of talent strategy, including team motivation, employee development and training, and recruitment.
• Improve and standardize our recruitment, training and talent management processes and procedures
• Support the Regional Manager and HR in:
o Team and performance management of a 17 person (and growing) team across two offices, including recruiting, hiring, career development.
o Overseeing the continual recruiting, hiring, and on-boarding of a growing team, as well as ongoing training and career development of all team members.
• Develop progression and succession plans for key staff, particularly for National staff, to develop and take on future leadership positions.
Strengthen BAP’s customer-facing functions from an operations point of view:
• Work to improve customer service, partner with Innovations team to improve processes around our clients’ experience with us in general.
• Build policies and support for customer service.
WHO YOU ARE
• Willing to make a long term commitment to the role
• Work experience: 5-7 years of professional experience with 2-3 years in a management position.
o You have organized, managed and run a team with great results.
o You have led a department from an overall perspective.
o Preference for those with at least two years of technology or management consulting and/or operations experience.
o Previous experience in small rapid-growth environments, preferably social start-ups going to scale
o Preference for experience in the agriculture sector
• Passionate about systems, structure, and the back-end operations to make things run smoothly
• Strong experience implementing strategic operational changes
• Strong results in driving adoption of new procedures and systems in the team
• Past involvement incorporating a digital strategy to push innovation and efficiency. You’re not a coder, but can project manage the design and implementation of a tech solution
• You have experience in talent recruitment, designing candidate screening tools, and onboarding new team members
• Strong conceptual thinking skills, with the ability to understand a situation or problem by identifying patterns or connections, and creating a solution that addresses key underlying issues.
• Strong Excel analysis skills with desire to ability to quickly adapt to new programs (STATA/R a plus)
• Hard-working and relentless focus on ultimate vision, all the meanwhile ability to be poised under stress, and have fun with the team
• Sense of humor
• If expatriate: Experience living and working in a developing country, preferably in East Africa
• Bachelor’s Degree required, MBA is a plus, but not required
East African Nationals are encouraged to apply
WHY WORK WITH US
• Massive growth that you’ll lead: from 1,000 customers to 10,000 customers per year; one branch to four branches; and 17 employees to over 80. We’re focused on growth over the next few years and you’ll be right there.
• Professional development and career enhancement: we are passionate about investing in our team, through formal and informal ways. We have a strong network in the region and we will personally leverage it to help team members propel forward.
• Autonomy: you will have real autonomy to run with your ideas, try new things, and manage your projects.
• Close team: We enjoy team meals, off-site outings, after work soccer games, and lots of laughter.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include health insurance, and professional development. We will agree on a 6-month probation period with learning and performance objectives.
HOW TO APPLY
• Take a look at our website to see how you resonate with what we do.
• Please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
• Fill out the online application form under this link http://bit.ly/JoinBAPOps
• You will upload your CV in PDF format into the form. Please ensure that it is tailored to this role and has no more than 3 pages.
• Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
Recruitment process in collaboration with edge