Head of Sales & Marketing
- Waste Ventures India
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Please apply with your cover letter and resume via our careers portal. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Organization description and opportunity
Waste Ventures India employs low-income individuals to environmentally process waste and then sell the compost to farmers. We are not content in creating a profitable venture, we create waste picker livelihoods, prevent 90% of waste we sort from being dumped, reduce greenhouse gases, and increase agricultural productivity. We are an India-based company with operations in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, and soon in other locations throughout the country.
We recently raised a round of finance and are rolling out projects across India. As such, we are seeking a Head of Sales & Marketing who can help develop and implement our marketing strategy for our compost byproduct and future byproducts we may launch.
The Head of Sales & Marketing will be responsible for developing and implementing a go-to-market strategy for our core compost byproduct and other future byproducts, including:
1. For both current and potential projects:
- Define and segment customer needs – relevant for our compost byproduct – based on regional crops grown, competitors in the market, etc.
- Align our byproduct profile (physical and chemical characteristics) to customer needs via working with our composting expert and sites
- Determine and implement our distribution and marketing strategy (e.g. direct-to-consumer vs. distributor, and with what timing)
- Build out a customer relationship management (CRM) database in Salesforce
- Manage all efforts to gain any regulatory certifications necessary
2. For current projects:
- Work with site Supervisors and Business Unit Managers to implement a sales and marketing strategy (customized for given market) and build out sales customer relationships where possible
- Manage the entire sales pipeline across all project sites
3. For potential projects:
- Identify cities with high market potential for Waste Ventures India byproducts
- Assess market potential of cities with which we have ongoing discussions, and develop an assessment tool that can be applied to any city to determine financial viability
Beyond the specific aforementioned core objectives, the role will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage a small and growing team of full-time employees and Fellows
- Report to the CEO/Founder and work closely with the Principal
- Lead recruitment of new team members
- Provide support as needed to company leadership such as investor or Board of Directors reports, internal strategy, and so on
- High-performing undergraduate background required, graduate degree preferred
- Agronomy and business and/or entrepreneurial backgrounds are preferred
- Minimum 5 years of professional sales and marketing experience – preferably in agronomy, and/or agriculture
- Operational experience is a plus
- Mix of Western and emerging markets work or educational experience is a plus
- Telugu language ability is a plus but not required
Waste Ventures India’s work culture is one of ‘Innovators but Doers’ (with track records to prove it!). Our culture is one of no egos: we foster a casual, honest, smart, and open environment where our team is not afraid to admit what we don’t know or learn from others. Specific skills/qualities we seek:
Passion for financial, social, and environmental outcomes is a must
Strong problem-solving/analytical skills: intellectual horsepower to break down a problem and create practical solutions
Perseverance to implement with urgency
Self awareness and humility – as an innovative start-up team member, you are expected to challenge all assumptions and be challenged in your own assumptions
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and willingness to operate with independence and reasonable flexibility
Strong written and verbal communication skills: ability to convey complex ideas and questions in a straightforward fashion
Excellent interpersonal skills: able to interact comfortably whether with government officials or farmers
High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
Sense of humor and humility are musts!
Compensation and logistics
Compensation for full-time positions is competitive and based on experience
The position starts immediately and is based in Hyderabad, India
Some travel will be required
How to apply
Please apply with your cover letter and resume via our careers portal. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.