Head of School
- Rwanda School Project - Rwamagana Leaders School
- Job Type
- Contact Information
We are hiring a Head of School!
About Rwanda School Project and Rwamagana Leaders School
We believe in Rwanda, and we prepare youth to be changemakers and leaders in their country in order to answer some of the complex and exciting questions of the future, including transport, urban development, education, environmental sustainability and governance.
RLS is a Secondary School focused on developing critical thinking, confidence, and character for service, compassion, perseverance and initiative. Students are encouraged to ask questions and develop effective solutions to problems. In addition to the standard curriculum, we have an exciting remedial support approach, and college readiness and leadership programs. We focus on research skills and environmental stewardship, as well.
We started with 24 students in 2010 and no buildings on campus. Today we have 140 students, of which 40% are receiving some financial support. Of our 70 graduates, around 80% are in tertiary education with high aspirations.
The Rwanda School Project is a United States non-profit organization supporting The Rwamagana Leaders School.
Our next priorities are strengthening our STEM curriculum and implementing an Environmental Studies combination, offering even more exciting and demanding options for A level. Further building and strengthening our Rwandan board will a key milestone on our journey, as is growing our tertiary education fund. By involving parents and working closely with key partners, we want to spread our vision for leadership development and quality education in Rwanda and beyond.
About the role
After 10 years of active leadership, our Founder and Executive Director is transitioning out. We are looking for an energetic and passionate leader and manager to help the organization reach new and bold heights.
The Head of School will build an institution that contributes to the powerful vision of Rwanda as an environmentally and socially sustainable leader in East Africa.
You will be overall responsible that our students receive an excellent education and become leaders in Rwanda, East Africa and are globally competitive. By delivering strategic leadership, working with the staff, and the Rwandan and US Boards you will establish and accomplish long-term goals, strategies, plans and policies.
Essential Functions Inherent in this Position
Overall Leadership, developing and carrying the vision
• Provide visionary and strategic leadership for the school and collaborate with staff members and boards to develop short and long-term goals.
• Provide leadership to successfully implement those goals and to develop our students into future leaders.
• Set a positive tone for the quality and character of school life and culture.
• Supervise the team leaders: principal, instructional guide, and finance & business manager or any other future leadership positions.
• Establish credibility throughout the organization and with the board as an effective problem solver.
• Monitor team goals and structures to assure they are effective and efficient.
• Incorporate Expeditionary Learning within the school fabric.
• Be a spokesperson for school mission, vision and values and school charter.
• Oversee the development of marketing and advertising initiatives.
Lead curriculum development and support student program
• Develop curriculum, for academic and extracurricular activities (EL, environmental studies program, WASP, STEM, etc.)
• Assist in development of technology goals to continue to drive implementation of new technologies for students.
• Attend important school functions.
• Make occasional classroom visits and support the teacher coach in her work.
• Collaborate with principal in key disciplinary decisions.
Business & Financial Oversight
• Direct the organization’s financial goals, objectives, and budget development and review together.
• Guide and oversee the business manager and book keeper in procurement, payroll, reports, sponsorship administration etc.
• Perform regular review of financial reports and expenditures.
• Facility oversight and development. Oversee construction.
• Over time, contribute to fundraising activities and sustainability strategy.
Build and manage the team
• Promote teamwork and spearhead a culture of collaboration.
• Coach and supervise team leaders, including professional development, setting goals, performance evaluations, discipline as necessary and compensation evaluation.
• Develop and implement personnel policies and procedures.
• Hire, train and terminate employees as needed, in coordination with administrative team leaders.
• Maintain regular cadence of meetings with staff.
• Manage our international exchange partnerships. Supervise the vetting and managing of the application and reporting process for volunteers and fellows.
Manage key relationships
• Act as ex officio member to the US Board of Directors of the Rwanda School Project and the governing board in Rwanda.
• Write annual report.
• Manage visiting groups and relationships with various organizations and partners.
• Support the board in their fundraising activities by providing relevant data, documentation, stories and photos. Host and join donor visits and make presentations
Who we are looking for
• You are passionate about youth leadership development as means of shaping the future, you want to build platforms that help youth discover and develop their potential.
• You have spent at least 5-10 years in education or youth-centred programs, with at least 3 in innovative educational programs or initiatives.
• You have team management experience of at least 3-5 years, and have handled a wide range of staff situations and decisions.
• Proven knowledge and significant experience of applying innovative pedagogical approaches that are student-centred (active learning, expeditionary learning, technology enhanced learning or similar educational philosophies).
• Expertise in STEM subjects or environmental studies is preferred, and can be replaced with a strong passion for the same.
• Good skills and experience in leading others in implementing good pedagogy.
• You have overseen budgets, and know how to exercise fiscal prudence and communicate it in a team
• You effectively lead in innovation and change, with a track record of involving people and stakeholders in creating behaviour change and building systems.
• Ability to find the balance between collaborative and executive decision making. Comfortable with making a final call when needed, and communicating the same effectively.
• High level of integrity.
• You are comfortable engaging and interfacing with a wide range of external stakeholders, including government partners, individual and institutional donors and faith-based organizations.
• The ideal candidate has life or work experience with both, developing economies and Western cultures.
• We are open to candidates from all Nationalities. For international candidates, strong intercultural awareness, and willingness to immerse in local culture including learning at least basic Kinyarwanda is important. Rwanda/East Africa experience is an added plus.
• Interest to work in a small town setup within an hour from Kigali. Ideally you’d live within 20 km of Rwamagana.
• A relevant bachelor degree.
Ideal start date is January or February 2019. We will agree on a 6-month probation period with learning and performance objectives. You will enjoy a 3-month hands-on transition from the outgoing manager. The role is located at the school premises in Rwamagana, Rwanda, around one hour East of Kigali on a good road.
Travel is primarily local. Travel to the United States and other parts of Rwanda is expected at times. A school vehicle is available for local business-related transport.
3-year contract with mutually agreeable extensions possible. Salary level depending on experience. Medical insurance provided. If not a citizen of Rwanda, candidate must qualify for and obtain required approval to be able to work in Rwanda.
How to apply
● First, read this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
● Apply by filling out the application survey under this link: http://bit.ly/LeadRSP
● You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is in PDF format, no longer than 3 pages and relevant to this role.
● Depending on the number of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates may be contacted.
● The selection process will include a personality test, case study and interviews.
Selection process in collaboration with www.edgeperformance.co.ke