Health & Nutrition Advisor
- Job Type
- One year contract, full-time
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Apply on their website
- Where to Apply
February 2021 | 12 months | Khartoum – frequent travel to the field
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Health & Nutrition Advisor for their program in Sudan, which operates as the American Refugee Committee (ARC). You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, they’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. They know they need to always be better, and they believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to their customers –as they help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, they ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
Based in Khartoum with extensive travel to all program locations, the Health and Nutrition Advisor (HNA) is responsible for the strategic development of, and overall leadership on ARC Sudan’s health and nutrition portfolio. S/he will provide technical leadership, strategic vision, and day-to-day guidance to the health and nutrition sector team, and is accountable for the sector programmatic development and implementation of high-quality services through an integrated program that meets, or exceeds national and international standards. ARC Sudan will recognize 16 years of service in East Darfur and South Darfur this fall as of July 2020, a new health and nutrition program lunched in East Sudan. This is an opportunity for an experienced professional with an entrepreneurial approach that brings innovation to the program, one of the largest humanitarian programs in Sudan. The candidate should also be passionate about building capacity of staff, leading by example and providing a spirit of collaboration, motivation, and mentorship that aligns with the ARC/Alight’s values. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate that is looking for an opportunity to lead ARC/Alight Sudan’s health and nutrition program through a period of critical evolution and growth.
The HNA will report to the Country Program Manager under whose supervision and direction s/he will represent ARC/Alight at donor meetings, sector/cluster meetings and other inter-agency meetings, and establish collaborative linkages with GoS departments, national counterparts and other key stakeholders (Ministry of Health, WHO, UNICEF, WFP, HAC). Within ARC/Alight, the HNA will coordinate closely with other sectors technical advisors and support specialists (Finance, Operations) to contribute to strategic country program development and growth, ensure effective country program integration, standardization of programming and effective utilization of resources.
Building a shared organization takes time and intention. They will always be becoming Alight, which means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Technical Guidance and Leadership 40%
• Lead implementation of health and nutrition services in the project areas as guided by project objectives and goals, Sudan Health Policy, international standards, and ARC Global Health Strategy.
• Provide technical oversight to ensure integration of health and nutrition activities with other sectors, including WASH and food security.
• Lend technical expertise and vision to design, plan, and implement ARC Sudan’s Country Strategy and Annual Plan, and supporting the Country Program Manager and Country Director to innovate the current program approach, identifying and developing innovative interventions in current programming and leading assessments to identify potential program and geographical growth and expansion.
• Lead in drafting health and nutrition grant proposals and budgets, and facilitate coordination of all proposal development for health and nutrition sector.
• Provide technical input in drafting grants management tools
• In conjunction with the MEAL Advisor, develop/adapt requisite tools for data collection, analysis and reporting, taking lead in analyzing and interpreting collected data in health and nutrition programs.
• Leverage key findings to develop quantitative and qualitative reports of health and nutrition activities for different stakeholders (donors, ARC Board of Directors, HAC and Ministry of Health) in accordance with appropriate reporting guidelines and with an additional objective of a) deepening understanding of the health and nutrition needs in Sudan and b) influencing future private and public investment in Sudan’s health and nutrition sectors.
• Mentor health and nutrition team members (including clinical staff) to build capacity and enable them to take on leadership roles, establishing a formal mentorship program across all program areas with quantifiable milestones.
• In coordination with health and nutrition program staff, facilitate trainings on clinical management, service provision, staff management, data collection and reporting.
• Guide staff in development of annual performance plans and ensure that all health and nutrition staff have completed appraisals at the end of the fiscal year.
• Lead development of Technical Agreements related to health and nutrition sectors to ensure alignment with beneficiary needs and government objectives; provide strategic response with verifiable supporting evidence to audit and program evaluation findings, as necessary.
• Lead ARC’s emergency responses related to health and Nutrition in coordination with ERP Coordinator and SPM
• Assess ARC readiness and develop plans that ensure rapidly response to public health outbreaks (Cholera, COVID 19, Measles, Polio etc) in ARC’s operation areas.
Program Design, Development, and Implementation 40%
• Plan and oversee (in conjunction with health and nutrition program staff) implementation of all health and nutrition activities, and ensure progress toward established indicators by motivating, coaching, and guiding staff toward success.
• Ensure that all services and case management are based on MoH standards, donor requirements, and WHO guidelines and protocols, providing leadership to pivot when necessary to ensure minimum standards are met.
• Support the State Program Managers and their teams in ensuring ongoing and careful monitoring of program implementation, and provide timely advice to address unexpected implementation delays, costs or quality issues to CPM/CD proposing options/solutions needed for appropriate corrective actions.
• Monitor budget verses actuals (BvAs) monthly and advise and monitor field teams on necessary adjustments to program plans.
• Ensure accurate budget spending for health and nutrition programs in accordance with Donor and ARC requirements, based on monthly spending and procurement plans.
• Work with COM, SPMs/teams to ensure supply chain management for all health and nutrition supplies.
• Lead in developing program summaries, updates, success stories, information leaflets, and other collateral in close collaboration with the Communications/Advocacy Advisor.
• Assist in the recruitment of all health and nutrition program and facility staff, including identifying gaps, drafting JDs/ToRs.
Representation and Coordination 20%
• Maintain ongoing relations with health and nutrition sector actors (donors, bilateral and multilateral coordination bodies, research organizations and academics, and relevant government institutions) in Sudan.
• Liaise with donors, local authorities, government ministries, including ministries of health at the federal and state levels, UN, and international and national NGOs, attend Khartoum-level health and nutrition sector cluster meetings/forums to promote ARC programs.
• Collaborate with MoH, UNICEF, WFP and others to ensure availability of supplies and vaccines in the health facilities, working closely with SPMs.
• Collaborate regularly with other sectors, especially WASH to monitor, prepare for and respond to disease outbreaks.
• Collaborate with the HQ Global Health Advisors to provide updates on the program, discuss emerging challenges, and collaborate on the design of new programs or changes to existing programs.
Education, Technical Skills & Knowledge
• Master’s degree in MPH, or related experience.
• Minimum 5-7 years of experience in managing health programs in emergency settings.
• International experience required.
• Experience in analyzing and interpreting health and/or nutrition data and writing reports to a high technical standard.
• Experience in managing and working with a multicultural staff.
• Strong participatory leadership and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to motivate and counsel staff working in a complex emergency environment.
• Experience in developing and implementing projects funded by USAID/OFDA/UNHCR is preferred.
• Experience and/or knowledge of East Africa a plus; experience and/or knowledge specifically of Sudan (history, politics, culture, etc.) and sensitivity to cultural issues involved in working in Sudan preferable.
• Strong verbal and written communication experience.
• Strong computer literacy; strong skills in Microsoft Office.
• High level of computer literacy including functional experience with statistical packages such as ENA, Epi Info or SPSS.
• Must be fluent in English, knowledge of Arabic a plus.
• Highly motivated self-starter who takes direction well, but also works independently.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, effectively managing multiple priorities.
• Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful, fluid, and ambiguous situations.
• Ability to adapt well in competitive, dynamic, multicultural and security sensitive contexts with basic living conditions.
• Cultural sensitivity essential.
You strive for…
• Humility. You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
• Inclusivity. Their diversity is their strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of gender, ethnicity/tribe, sexual orientation, or physical/mental ability.
• Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
• Joy. Seriously! They believe that play and joy are core to co-creating value with customers.
• Flexibility. They’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
• Creativity. You have the ability to apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
Health, dental, and MedEvac Insurance – They strive to offer the best-in-class healthcare plans to their staff each year. They cover 100% of the cost for your health premium and 75% of the cost for coverage for your spouse/dependents.
Retirement – They contribute 6% of your salary regardless of your contribution amount, after one year of service.
Generous Leave Time – Between general leave, home leave, and R&R, you have ample opportunity to take time off when you need it.
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
They are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.