Healthcare & Education Program Specialist, Nuru Ethiopia
- Nuru International
- Zefine, Ethiopia
- Where to Apply
Nuru International’s plan to address our partner communities’ healthcare and education needs is central to our overall, holistic and integrated set of solutions. The Healthcare and Education Specialist will mentor, train and assist their counterpart Ethiopian staff in the continued refinement and scale-up of Nuru Ethiopia’s Healthcare and Education programs.
The Healthcare program’s model is designed to decrease unnecessary death and disease focused on mothers and children. This is done by equipping Nuru farmer families and local community health workers with knowledge about targeted healthy behaviors that can save lives and tools to move from knowledge to action including small support groups. The Healthcare program activities include: supporting healthy births, addressing basic hygiene issues and helping to make connections to eliminate gaps within the existing systems.
The Education program’s model is designed to improve child literacy, with a specific focus on primary school aged children. Activities include training teachers in local public schools, providing training on leadership and management to local education Ministry officials, provision of reading materials in and out of schools, and reading activities outside of schools through Nuru Ethiopia’s farmer cooperatives.
The Healthcare and Education Program Specialist will report to the Nuru Ethiopia Team Leader and be advised by the Nuru International Healthcare Program Strategic Advisor and the Nuru International Education Program Strategic Advisor.
- Train and mentor the Nuru Ethiopia Healthcare and Education Program teams.
- Empower local leaders in the Healthcare and Education Programs to continually take ownership of the program.
- Work with the Ethiopian teams to build out effective and efficient processes and supervise daily activities.
- Work closely with the Ethiopian staff to meet strategic program milestones, address challenges, and efficiently implement activities.
- Collaborate with the Monitoring and Evaluation Team to design, implement, and refine effective monitoring and evaluation systems for Nuru Ethiopia’s Education and Healthcare Programs.
- Increase integration and facilitate collaboration with the Rural Livelihood and Cooperative programs.
- Maintain strong communication and relationships with the community, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, and other stakeholders at all times.
- Co-create a financially sustainable and scalable budget and mentor and assist local staff with budget management.
- Ensure the Education and Healthcare programs are truly sustainable, scalable, and create impact.
- Maintain thorough documentation of programmatic lessons learned, decisions, and achievements.
- Achieve pre-determined seasonal goals.
- Maintain clear and consistent communication channels with the Nuru International Healthcare and Education Program Strategic Advisors.
Skills & Attributes:
- Master’s degree strongly preferred (Bachelor’s degree required). Degree in development studies, NGO management, public health, education, sociology, or similar field preferred.
- At least 2 years of project management in international development projects with a focus on rural poverty eradication, healthcare, education, and/or integrated programming.
- Prior experience living and working in developing countries. Ideal candidate would have experience living and working rural Africa and specifically Ethiopia. Preferred but not mandatory
- Solid quantitative skills including the ability to use data to make decisions and experience with Excel.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building and mentorship of teams or managers.
- Experience with behavior change communication programs preferred.
- 1 – 2 years of experience creating or implementing health promotion solutions and /or child literacy programing for poor communities preferred.
- Strong commitment to organization’s mission, vision, and theory of change.
- Strong leadership, management and team building experience.
- Effective crisis management and rapid, innovative problem solving skills in uncertain environments.
Please apply by uploading your resume/CV and cover letter – outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Nuru International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.