Housing Market Systems Consultant in Mexico
- Habitat for Humanity, Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter
- Mexico City, Mexico
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
In Mexico, through the Centro para la Innovación a la Vivienda (CIV), The Center has contributed to improving housing conditions by working through partners (mainly Financial Institutions) to make markets function more effectively for low-income households. As such, the Center’s team in Mexico provides advisory services and technical assistance to support their partners’ abilities to help households obtain decent housing
During last year, the CIV strategy has evolved to include non-financial housing solutions and the exploration of partnerships with market actors. To do this, the CIV has conducted research on low-income housing markets, consumers barriers in accessing adequate housing, housing value chain and potential market-based solutions to address barriers and constraints. The main geographic focus of this research has been the State of Mexico, with an emphasis in Ecatepec Municipality. Currently, the CIV is in the process of identifying potential private providers interested in implementing initiatives to expand or develop the products and services they provide to low income households.
At this stage, building partnerships and leveraging funding become essential in the development and expansion of the market systems strategy in the country.
The purpose of the assignment is to support the Terwilliger Center’s team for the rapid expansion of its market systems operation in Mexico. The major area of focus of this consultancy will be to strengthen and support the implementation of a housing market systems strategy in the country, aiming at reducing the adequate housing deficit and increasing the quality of life for low-income households through market base solutions.
Objectives and deliverables
1. Based on the research conducted by the CIV and other sources of information, identify opportunities and challenges for the implementation of the housing market systems development program in the country, with emphasis in the State of Mexico:
– Description of opportunities and challenges identified.
– Action plan with recommendations to leverage opportunities and overcome challenges.
2. Design and prioritize a portfolio of potential market systems development initiatives in alignment with TCIS priorities and goals.
– Portfolio of potential initiatives, including what, how, with whom and potential roadmap.
– Facilitate linkages, negotiations and partnerships building to implement these initiatives.
3. Identify opportunities to leverage funds for market systems strategy implementation.
– List of potential sources of funding to be leveraged by Mexico TCIS program (impact investors, corporations, national and international organizations, etc.) including investors profile, contacts and investment priorities.
– Facilitate introductions and partnerships building with the sources identified.
4. Identify and facilitate the creation of partnerships with a network of consultants, subject matter experts and key players from the private and public sectors, which can be of value in growing the market systems program in the country.
– List of potential partners, contact information and potential value add in relation to the housing market systems strategy.
– Facilitate linkages, negotiations and partnerships building.
• A Master’s degree in business-related disciplines, social entrepreneurship, international development studies or economics.
• A minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in work requiring a good understanding of market and value chain development or an experienced entrepreneur in related sectors with good business acumen.
An excellent understanding of the Mexican context in relation to the housing and construction industries.
• Experience leading/working on market development or inclusive businesses programs would be a plus.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
• Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of one of the following:
o Affordable housing sector in the Mexico. Professional experience working in the housing sector is a plus.
o Market systems programming and value chain analysis
o Monitoring and evaluation experience, experience bringing data into projects and using it to drive decision making.
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to this consultancy with your CV/resume by email. Please include examples that can reference experience in similar work.