- BioLite Inc.
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- website: www.bioliteenergy.com
Cutting edge clean technology company is seeking a General Manager to head up the company’s sales, marketing, and commercial operations in Kenya.
BioLite is a dynamic and rapidly growing social enterprise that develops, manufactures, and markets consumer energy products for off-grid communities around the world. Our business serves two distinct markets: 1) developing world families living in energy poverty,and 2) outdoor enthusiasts seeking fuel-independent cooking and off-grid power. We address these markets simultaneously through parallel innovation: by incubating core technologies that can serve users in both markets, we are able to invest near-term revenue to solve long-term, high-impact problems. Over the last four years, our team has quadrupled, and sales have doubled each year. Anchored by the award-winning HomeStove, our emerging markets product portfolio is growing. We are currently operating in Kenya and are excited to grow this key market with new partners and products.
TITLE: General Manager, Kenya
HOURS: Full – time
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales and Operations, Emerging Markets (based in New York, USA)
START DATE: January 2017 (or as soon as possible thereafter)
● Leader: You will recruit, motivate, and grow our Kenya team to over 70
professionals in 2017. You will be responsible for establishing and tracking KPIs with
teams across 3 core verticals: sales, operations, and finance.
● Business Development: You will be responsible for onboarding new partnerships
and maintaining existing relationships with key distribution partners, including
MNCs, finance institutions, and SMEs.
● Manager: You will work directly with BioLite’s distribution network to sustainably
grow sales of the BioLite HomeStove and other BioLite clean energy products. You
will strategize, plan, and drive commercial projects to meet project milestones and
● Reporting and Finance: Working closely with BioLite’s Global Management team,
you will frequently report on country KPIs and objectives, while overseeing BioLite’s
Kenya P&L and have oversight responsibility of local accounting and reporting
● Policy Advocate: You will serve as BioLite’s in-country lead in our work with
government officials and multilateral organizations on regulatory policy matters
affecting BioLite and the clean energy sector.
● Systems Builder: You will build and implement data management systems to
strengthen our supply chain, support our sales force, and capture customer
information from the field.
Required Qualifications & Experience
● Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred
● Relevant field experience: 10+ years of management experience , preferably
working in bottom of the pyramid (BoP) markets in Kenyan rural & peri-urban areas
● Fluency in English required ; fluency in Kiswahili and any other local languages
● Strong local networks : experience and relationships working with players in the
Kenya BoP markets and renewable energy sector
● Project management and sales : experience creating and successfully executing
timelines, budgets, and forecasts
● Leadership experience: proven ability to motivate and inspire
● Team player and self-starter: ability to work collaboratively, but also self-managing
and work well independently
● Flexibility and ability to transition across a variety of roles: easily transition from
a remote village to negotiating shipping logistics, to delivering a presentation at an
● Strong analytical and communication skills: experience to effectively synthesize
data and prepare clear, compelling and high-quality reports and presentations via
Excel, PowerPoint, Word and other analytical and visual communication tools (and
corresponding Google equivalents: Sheets, Slides, and Docs)
● Strong work ethic; willingness to work a nontraditional work schedule
● Balance: combining patience, empathy, and honesty with the assertiveness, clout and
drive to see any job through to the end
● Experience handling supply chains and logistics in emerging markets
● Experience working in a start-up environment
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and a professional writing sample to
firstname.lastname@example.org and include “General Manager, Kenya” in the subject line. Please
submit your application no later than close of business on January 15, 2016.