- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Angaza builds technology to solve global energy poverty: we enable financing of solar energy solutions for off-grid consumers in developing countries. To do so, Angaza develops a mix of custom hardware and software for some of the most demanding and dynamic markets in the world. We are a for-profit company, based in California and Kenya, that aims market forces at the linked challenges of climate change and global development.
We are recruiting an experienced Human-Centered Designer, with a customer empathy mindset, to join our team in our Nairobi office. In this role, you will help drive the successful development of Angaza’s technology platform for “pay as you go” sales of solar energy solutions by uncovering customer needs, prototyping solutions, and ensuring continuous product improvement through iteration. This role is an exciting opportunity to be a key influencer of Angaza’s product design choices, as we rapidly scale our partner network and impact millions of people living without access to clean, reliable electricity.
This position will require frequent travel (~30% time) to partner headquarters, field operations locations, and end user homes, within Kenya and around the world. This role is perfect for someone who is a daily practitioner of human-centered design, has a deep empathy and understanding of the craft of design, and is excited to influence product strategy in a growing social enterprise.
- Directly influence the design and development of Angaza’s software platform, mobile app, and solar device feedback by synthesizing user needs and observations using a human-centered design approach.
- Develop Angaza’s product design approach, prototyping methodology, user testing processes, and iteration techniques to ensure an overall high quality and usability of our Pay-As-You-Go platform. Help create innovative technology that our customers love!
- Develop a deep understanding of all stakeholder needs in the Pay-As-You-Go value chain and consistently disseminate these user research findings throughout the Angaza team.
- Instill an understanding of the human-centered design process throughout the Angaza team and cultivate a culture of implementing it.
- Assist Angaza’s sales and marketing teams with developing customer stories, case studies, and media announcements.
- Utilize both qualitative and quantitative research, from user observations to software analytics, to create and validate design hypotheses.
Typical Day to Day:
- Gain inspiration and empathy through direct interaction with our distribution partners, local sales agents, and off-grid consumers by conducting field research in East Africa and around the globe.
- Develop personas and craft user needs by using media (video/photos) and observation/interview notes as the foundation for your recommendations.
- Test software feature prototypes with users to discover usability pain points in order to recommend improvements.
- Work closely with Angaza’s product management and software development teams to ensure design decisions are based directly on learnings from the field.
- Influence the evolution of Angaza’s distributor sales and training processes by identifying new partner pain points.
- 3+ years of experience leveraging user research, human-centered design, or design ethnography in a professional setting.
- Real-world experience applying design thinking to software development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an effective approach to collaboration.
Happiness in a very dynamic, fast-paced, flexible (and fun!) atmosphere.
Send your résumé, cover letter, and design portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Angaza Human-Centered Designer – YOURNAME”. Due to application volume, we can only follow up with the most promising candidates. We plan to fill this position quickly, with a start date as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you!