Human Resources Officer
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
The Business Development Associate’s role is to support the Business Development team in raising funds and developing partnerships to meet organizational strategic initiatives.
Role & Responsibilities
• Raise funds. We are seeking someone with a strong business mind, who is also an excellent and professional communicator. The partners we work with do not just want smooth prose – they want business rationale and a tailored message. The BD Associate must learn and articulately communicate our business, strategic initiatives and vision to inspire and convince partners to support us financially and technically.
• Develop Partnerships. The BD Associate will be responsible for developing and analyzing leads for partnerships in line with strategic initiatives. They will support leadership in building networks and strategic partnerships putting Sanergy on the map as a lead private sector solution for sustainable sanitation in urban informal settlements, and a pioneer in innovative, climate-smart waste management, processing and re-use technologies.
• Seek and analyze strategic funding opportunities. The BD Associate will generate leads, identify co-funding partners, analyze opportunities, pitch ideas and develop internal stakeholder buy-in to go after opportunities. We are a fast-moving organization and we are seeking someone who can respect teammates’ time completing their core responsibilities while meeting proposal deadlines.
• Write concept notes and proposals. The business development analyst will write concept notes and proposals toward developing partnerships with identified leads. We write for a variety of audiences with various agendas to align with our strategy. Topics include, but are not limited to design, sanitation, hygiene promotion, schools, sanitation marketing, behavior change, youth, gender, public health, livelihoods, entrepreneurship, impact measurement, waste collection, fecal sludge management, waste re-use technologies, organic fertilizer, renewable energy, environment, climate change, biogas, biochar, animal feed, chemistry, physics, economics, talent development, innovation, policy and advocacy. We tailor our materials to the potential partner and we go after funding that grows our business strategically. Like our Fresh Life toilets and Farm Star organic fertilizer, we want our writing to stand out. Use of visuals, tables, graphics, and charts encouraged. We emphasize clear logical flow in our writing.
• Develop Budgets. Ability to coordinate teams to align project budgets to strategic initiative budgets. Liaise closely with finance to determine funding gaps and needs in annual budgets. Familiarity with finance, budgeting and excel, preferred.
• Report to and keep Partners engaged. Sanergy values our current funders above all others and keeps them closely informed. The role includes gathering information from operational and financial teams, liaising with the partner with regular high quality updates, and developing partnerships strategically.
•Hire, develop, and manage others. In five years, we envision having a significant business development team. We are looking for someone that ideally could see themselves growing their career with the organization
Education & Experience
• A business Degree from a recognized university
Knowledge and Skills
•Strong ability to network, understand the audience, build consensus internally and externally, and bring diverse partners together
• Powerful writer, excellent communication skills, strong story teller
• Ability to consolidate large amounts of strategic and technical information into articulate compelling paragraphs that flow logically.
• Excellent research skills, and ability to organize and communicate findings to teammates
• Ability to manage time, keep calm under pressure, navigate several moving parts, meet deadlines with ease, and coordinate to help others meet deadlines with ease.
• English fluency in speaking and writing, other languages a plus
• Program management, budgeting and Excel Skills
•Other languages besides English, a plus.
• 5 years’ work experience, preferably in a developing country context
• Experience in program management, completing deliverables and coordinating teams
• Experience in fundraising, program design, partnership development, or similar.
• A collaborative mentality, positive attitude and resiliency
• A continuous, restless desire to improve yourself, your team, and your organization
• Deep-rooted empathy and humility
-Holds others accountable to confront breaches of the organization’s code of conduct or values. Constructively confronts potentially unethical behavior in others.
– Recognised by all colleagues and customers as a team player who genuinely connects with all others, shares responsibility, provides unsolicited assistance to others and shares recognition and credit\”
Building Value for stakeholders
– Takes responsibility to make sure that teammates believe in the vision and ensures alignment between teammates’ duties and actions and the organization’s vision
– Evaluates customer feedback for trends, adjusts team behavior, and influences the organization’s strategy based on findings.\”
Collaboration & Team work
– Understands their level of influence so prioritizes listening to others and allowing others to share their views first.
– Encourages and facilitates others to build professional relationships within and beyond the organization by actively making connections
– Determines root causes when teams are not collaborating, and finds ways to resolve them
– Specifically considers less obvious ideas when creating new or adaptive products and processes
– Provides feedback to teams about viability of potential innovations based on what is desired by the organization and breaks down barriers as necessary
– Remains focused on achieving results, even in the face of significant obstacles, such as uncertain outcomes, strong internal or external opposition, market changes and organizational roadblocks
– Is passionate about growth and focuses on delivering new ways to gain competitive advantage for the business
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life – as small businesses. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training, and marketing. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. We convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the by-products to Kenyan farms.
Since November 2011, we have launched nearly 700 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of more than 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 3,500 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 200 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in Africa.