- SVX and Upper Canada Equity Fund
- Prince Edward County, Ontario
- Job Type
- Full-time Fellowship (Two years)
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please send your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter should be addressed to the Chair of the Fellowship Selection Committee: Eoin Callan, Executive Director Upper Canada Equity Fund 280 Main Street, Suite 103 Picton, Prince Edward County, Ontario K0K 2T0
- Where to Apply
The Upper Canada Equity Fund and SVX are seeking applications for a unique two year Impact Fellowship based in Prince Edward County, Ontario. The Impact Fellow will be responsible managing and supporting projects including a women-led social enterprise support program, impact fund development, issuer advisory work, and investor relations activities for SVX and Upper Canada Equity Fund.
The fellow is responsible for the following activities:
Project management and development
● Lead the implementation of the Women of Ontario Social Enterprise Network (WOSEN) in Eastern Ontario;
● Provide project support to local impact investing fund development activities in Eastern Ontario with the SVX and UCEF teams; and
● Provide project support to strategic initiatives for SVX on an ad-hoc basis.
Fund design and development
● Provide support to discovery, design, and deployment of place-based fund activities, from supporting partner meetings to market research to beta testing with prospective investors and investees;
● Participate in regular meetings of the Scaling Impact collaborative of impact investing funds and intermediaries across Canada;
● Support investor relations efforts, and as appropriate for fund capital raising activities, provide assistance to SVX national team with Know Your Client (KYC) documentation and reviews for investors, including accredited, eligible, and non-accredited investors and support suitability for investors to ensure transactions align with the investor profile and Canadian regulatory requirements; and
● Manage other regional and place-based fund design and development projects as designated by SVX Director and UCEF Director.
Women-led social enterprise support and community building
● Recruit and support new and existing women-led social enterprises;
● Support women-centered innovation training sessions;
● Support the growth of underrepresented women entrepreneurs, including those with disabilities, Indigenous women, women identified, two-spirited women, women in rural regions, and who identify as visible minorities and newcomers by supporting a suite of programs and services to women and social entrepreneurs in Eastern Ontario;
● Identify and engage co-working and culturally supportive spaces in Eastern Ontario where women-led enterprises will access professional advisory services, industry coaching and cluster learning in a healthy entrepreneurship community; and
● Provide support for SVX and community building activities (eg. All-in Impact Gathering).
Venture advisory and review
● Identify and support potential advisory clients in Eastern Ontario for SVX team; and
● Work with pipeline partners, UCEF and SVX team members to recruit and review quality ventures for the fund(s), WOSEN, and SVX platform.
● Support for investment review committees and board committees, including preparation of investment review packages and meeting materials and minutes;
● Provide coaching to Upper Canada Equity Fund supported entrepreneurs;
● Monitor social investment trends and strategies and contribute to thought leadership as possible;
● Manage and supervise interns;
● Meet bi-weekly with project supervisors, meet regularly with SVX colleagues and attend SVX-wide staff and Upper Canada Equity Fund meetings; and
● Contribute to the strategy and vision for SVX and Upper Canada Equity Fund.
● Post-secondary degree;
● Two (2) years business experience in a similar role preferred but not required;
● A background in investment analysis, financial analysis, venture analysis and data collection;
● Understanding of early stage investing and the exempt market is an asset;
● Demonstrated interest and passion in impact investing;
● Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written);
● Strong capabilities in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Salesforce experience an asset;
● Collaborative team player who thrives on coordinating and interacting with multiple people and on multiple projects and who is able to manage shifting priorities;
● Excellent organizational, planning and time management skills: ability to manage details and organize processes without losing sight of the big picture;
● A self-starter with personal accountability and a commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives;
● Flexibility and adaptability to seize new opportunities and change existing programs to further meet and exceed clients’ needs; and
● Canadian Securities Course (CSC) or Exempt Market Proficiency (EMP) course would be an asset but it is not required.
SVX is a nonprofit financial services firm that designs strategies, manages funds, and operates a platform for impact ventures, funds, organizations, and investors. We work across sectors that deliver meaningful impact: cleantech, health, education, food, and social inclusion, helping investors find and make impact investments and issuers raise impact capital.
We work with issuers from enterprises focused on early cancer detection to community power co-operatives producing renewable energy. We work with all investors, from foundations and family offices to everyday investors, to help them identify opportunities and to support their decision-making efforts so they can match their money with meaning.
SVX is regulated by the Ontario Securities Commission and is registered as an Exempt Market Dealer (EMD) in British Colombia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Québec. We have partners and operations across Canada, as well as in the US and Mexico.
ABOUT UPPER CANADA EQUITY FUND
Upper Canada Equity Fund is a place-based impact fund that invests in innovative early-stage enterprises in pursuit of social and financial returns.
Unlike traditional venture capital firms that work towards an exit or the sale of a company to gain a return, Upper Canada Equity Fund deploys patient capital through a unique private-public investment model with the goal of building enterprises that boost rural economic diversification and contribute to sustainable development goals.
The Upper Canada Equity Fund is part of the SVX network of place-based funds and is located in Prince Edward County, Ontario, where it is co-located with a local Community Futures organization.