Impact Investment Analyst
- Manchester Capital Management
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Job Description: The Investment Analyst will assume leadership of the firm’s research activities in the evolving discipline of sustainable and impact investing. They will act as a centralized resource for the firm and work in concert with our wealth managers and investment committee to identify, evaluate and implement sustainable and impact investing strategies on behalf of our clients. In this role he/she will be responsible for sourcing and analyzing relevant investments introduced by clients or sourced by Manchester’s wealth managers and investment research team. He/she will be involved directly with clients, including regular travel to attend meetings of their private foundations or personal meetings as needed. Most importantly, the candidate for this position will have a deep personal commitment and demonstrated experience of working with investments that have the purpose of meeting both social and financial objectives. The Analyst position is to be located in Manchester’s Montecito, California office.
1. Source and conduct due diligence on investments, including individual private companies, managers and funds for SRI, PRI, MRI, Impact and ESG investments and portfolios.
• Evaluate and communicate the risk/reward potential for individual private investments, managers and funds.
• Review investments on ESG factors per GIIRS, Ceres, GRI, SIF, SIRAN and other.
• Work with the Wealth Managers to build portfolios and integrate these strategies where requested.
• Further develop and manage a platform of suitable managers, funds and strategies under the guidance of the Director of Investment Research.
• Attend and participate in weekly Investment Committee meetings and annual Investment Committee retreats.
2. Consult to key clients.
• Meet with clients and prospective clients to determine the needs and preferences they have relative to investing with both social and financial outcomes as objectives.
• Introduce relevant investments and issues to clients to increase awareness of Manchester’s offering.
• Help to prepare agendas for foundation, investment committee, and family meetings based on values informed investment objectives.
• Incorporate assessments and updates during formal client reviews to be used as a supplement to the current financial update.
3. Formulate a centralized third party network of specialists.
• Network with third party professionals – client and industry contacts.
• Perform due diligence on third party providers.
4. Work with the Wealth Managers.
• Share examples and knowledge of investments and the market status on a quarterly basis.
• Act as an internal resource for educating MCM staff and act as central repository of knowledge across firm for sustainable and impact investing.
• Significant investment due diligence expertise evidenced by work experience and academic qualifications.
• 3 year minimum experience in sustainable and impact investing.
• MBA or other advanced degree and CFA or other specific industry certification preferred, but not essential.
• Proven ability to independently analyze investment strategies and management teams and document perceived strengths and weaknesses from an investment and operational perspective.
• Access to a third party network and familiarity with trends, resources, investment opportunities and demonstrated history of involvement with issues surrounding sustainable and impact investment metrics and strategies.
• Team player; ability to collaborate with wealth managers, families and advisors.
• He/she will serve as a credible liaison and bridge builder between experts in social impact and experts in portfolio management to effectively integrate these converging disciplines into client discussions and portfolios.
• Good communicator; ability to listen to key objectives of the family before making a recommendation. Explore options with wealth manager before presenting a thoughtful response. Good presentation skills.
• Resourceful; ability to tap into experts and bring them into conversation where appropriate. Comfortable researching a range of topics areas.
• 25% to 50% travel required.
Manchester Capital Management (MCM) is a wealth management firm focused on the diverse needs of wealthy individuals and families. Manchester’s core competency is investment management and we also provide a full range of family office services, including wealth transfer strategies, philanthropic guidance, educational programs, governance assistance, family meetings, and much more. We take great pride in having no conflicts of interest and in placing our clients’ interests first in all decisions taken. We serve exclusively as the clients’ advocate and integrator of financial affairs as we provide the following key benefits:
Open Architecture – access to world class managers, utilizing both traditional and alternative investment strategies, who have consistently outperformed their peer group. Our clients have access to investment vehicles and strategies not available to the public.
Professional Experience – MCM’s staff consists of individuals with truly exceptional talent, including professionals who have significant experience in wealth management, serving wealthy families, and managing back office operations.
Client-First Service – a team approach ensures exceptional levels of client service dedicated to considering clients as partners, rather than as customers. MCM carefully limits the growth of the firm to maintain the core values and culture born from its family office origins.
Dynamic Culture – Manchester offers an engaging, team-oriented working environment, a culture of mutual respect and commitment to maintaining the highest quality and service standards, along with the opportunity to play a vital role in the growth of the firm.