Impact Solutions Associate
- Y Analytics
- Washington, D.C.
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- See job description
- Where to Apply
- See job description
Application Instructions: In lieu of a cover letter, please prepare written responses to the questions below. Please send your responses along with your resume to Jobs@YAnalytics.org. Write in the subject line: “Last Name, First Name – Associate Application”.
Application Questions – please limit responses to a single page total:
1. How would you go about conducting a market scan for an industry about which you have little prior knowledge?
2. What steps would you take to estimate the health benefits of drastically reducing the cost of a life-saving drug?
3. Imagine you are trying to quantify the potential impact of a microcredit company in a particular country. You have found 3 sources with 3 different estimates covering the same time period. What would you do?
About Y Analytics
Y Analytics’ mission is to increase the amount and effectiveness of capital allocation for the greater good, as described in the UN SDGs, by increasing trust in the social and environmental impact achieved by that capital.
We are an independent organization launched in parallel to The Rise Fund and founded in partnership with TPG/Rise. Our rigorous approach to impact assessment draws on evidentiary academic and economic research, which enables greater use of evidence in capital allocation decision making and impact valuation. Our Impact Solutions Team serves The Rise Fund platform ($4 billion under management) and has also worked with other types of capital and capital allocators (e.g., private equity, catalytic capital, corporations). Y Analytics is also responsible for the ESG mandate across all of TPG Global, via the ESG Performance Team.
One of the core principles of Y Analytics is that transformational change occurs by working side-by-side with people on real decisions. Y Analytics is a working organization, not a think tank.
The Associate will join our Impact Solutions Team which is responsible for driving Y Analytics’ impact assessments. His or her primary responsibilities will include:
• Partnering with The Rise Fund – and occasionally other capital allocators – to determine the impact of their investments or other business decisions, based on evidentiary research. For example, associates may examine questions such as “What is the value of the net impact of a company that purchases milk from smallholder farmers in ways that ensure steadier streams of income, veterinary care for cows, etc.?” or “What is the net impact of delivering cataracts treatments in a drop form that does away with the need for surgery?” This work entails a balance of attention to detail/high degree of scrutiny to interpret, interrogate and apply academic and microeconomic research, as well as a pragmatic client service orientation given the quick turnaround times of private equity deal flow.
• Working with Y Analytics and TPG/Rise leadership to improve impact management processes and decision-making tools. As our methodology and The Rise Fund’s portfolio matures, we are continuously improving how we analyze and manage impact performance. The Associate will be key to generating insights on portfolio impact and will help define the processes and tools that enable improved impact management decisions following investment.
• Leading internal database management and user interface development. The Associate will be responsible for building upon Y Analytics’ existing database of deal and research data, to glean new insights and improve the way in which the team and clients interact with the database.
Reports To: Senior Director of Impact Solutions
Other Key Relationships: Broader Y Analytics leadership team, The Rise Fund deal teams and sector leads, Y Analytics ESG Performance team, and other stakeholders
• Commitment to Y Analytics’ mission to improve the future of humanity and our planet through effective capital allocation for the greater good
• Exceptional quantitative analytics capabilities: must be able to quickly and accurately analyze data and create complex quantitative models, with an aptitude to quickly get familiar on academic research, company and/or public data, and impact valuation models
• Exceptional written and verbal communication: must be able to quickly identify key drivers and sensitivities in quantitative analyses, synthesize these findings in presentations and written documents, and communicate these to senior leadership and clients
• Strong sense of ownership and entrepreneurism: must be comfortable driving work forward in a teamwork-heavy environment, delivering high quality outputs to clients, and taking initiative to build beyond what is called for in a narrow action plan
• 1 to 3 years of full-time work experience
• Authorization to work in the U.S.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Experience and enthusiasm for conducting, interrogating, interpreting, and applying third party academic research
• Prior full-time experience performing highly quantitative work at a top tier strategy consulting firm, financial firm, or similar
• International experience, including exposure to developing countries
Other Desirable Personal Characteristics
• Positive and solutions-oriented attitude, with a drive for excellence
• Strong team player who is collaborative, and who listens to and values others’ opinions
• Commitment to fairness and ethical behavior; values and treats others with respect
• Awareness of and sensitivity to cultural differences; values diversity and its importance to an organization’s performance
• Sense of humility and humor