Impact Venture Builder
- Platform Impact
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Email your CV with “[Impact Venture Builder] > Application _Your Name” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where to Apply
THE CONTEXT YOU WILL BE WORKING IN
Platform Impact creates, develops and empowers Impact-Driven Enterprises aiming to overcome poverty, reduce inequalities and maximize improvements in human and environmental well-being in Cambodia and Southeast Asia.
They define Impact-Driven Enterprises as new forms of business organizations re-thinking their essential purpose, innovation processes and guiding operational practices to genuinely serve the collective interests, protect their planet and ensure that all people live their lives in peace and dignity.
Impact-Driven Enterprises are hybrid organizations blending business with mission, and combining an unwavering focus on meeting societal needs with entrepreneurial energy and market discipline to prove that making a profit and having positive impacts on society are not mutually exclusive ideas. They are inclusive, environmentally sensitive and use the Sustainable Development Goals as a framework for decision making and actions.
As a values-oriented team, they pledged to focus their mission on promoting, catalyzing, and scaling Impact-Driven Entrepreneurship and Responsible Finance movements in Cambodia and across the region.
As part of their growing Venture Building team, they are looking for someone to provide Founders and C-Level Executives of the Impact-Driven Enterprises they support, with intense strategic leadership, guidance and hands-on management advisory services to help them develop relevant overarching growth strategies and secure the funds they need to implement those successfully. It will allow Impact-Driven Enterprises to expand operations, extend geographic reach and maximize positive impacts in Cambodia.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about sustainable development, with a robust social entrepreneurship and/or impact investing background, and interested in mobilizing her/his strong business intelligence capabilities, creative problem-solving skills and networking power to promote a more sustainable, inclusive and equitable economy in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
This is a full-time role, based in Phnom Penh and expected to start in September 2021.
YOUR DUTIES, ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Platform-Impact is shaping the next generation of Impact-Driven Enterprises in Cambodia, and they’re looking for the brightest minds to help them. Their world-class multidisciplinary team will challenge you to push the boundaries of the industry. If you have the passion, tenacity, and curiosity to build innovative businesses from the ground up, they invite you to join them on this exciting, demanding and rewarding journey.
You will join the Innovation and Venture Building arm of Platform Impact. The department’s mission is to invent, uncover, build, finance and scale industry-disrupting businesses with Cambodia’s most influential companies committed to the principles of accountability, inclusivity, and sustainability.
You will work very closely with growth stage Impact-Driven Enterprises in purposeful and methodical ways, to get them investment-ready in 12-14 months. During the process you will be leveraging their untapped strategic assets to create new revenue streams, business units, product/service ranges and distribution channels to tackle Cambodia’s most pressing poverty, social and/or environmental issues.
As a Venture Builder, you will help Cambodia-based Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SME) to fast-track their transformational journey towards greater impacts. From investment strategy, fundraising to execution, you will provide advice on business models, product management, technology, and growth.
Your key duties, roles and responsibilities will mainly include:
Bring Impact-Driven Enterprises to Investment Readiness and Maturity for New Product, Service and/or Market Launches (50%)
• Develop a deep understanding of the problems that their Impact Ventures can tackle, through in-depth (primary and secondary) research,
• Bring innovative business ideas to the table and then find suitable entrepreneurs to lead and grow them in Cambodia with the extensive support of Platform Impact,
• Be sparring partner for Impact-Driven Enterprises’ founders and senior leadership team, to help them challenge status-quo and design long-term strategies, with the goal of maximizing positive social and/or environmental benefits in the Country through financially self-sustainable ways,
• Use reliable data, market analysis, evidence, and user insights/feedback to test assumptions and advise on strategy,
• Oversee, monitor and understand in-depth requirements of relevant industries, including applicable laws, rules and standards, to provide Impact-Driven Enterprises with valuable advice on how to act properly in complex regulatory frameworks,
• Design solid, reliable and accurate data-driven monitoring & evaluation systems to track, measure and communicate the positive impacts generated by the ventures they jointly build with daring local entrepreneurs,
• Ensure high quality proactive supports to their Impact-Driven Enterprises through 1-on-1 work sessions as well as workshops and retreats,
• Establish mutual trust and win-win relations with key external partners and stakeholders to solicit, when appropriate, their complementary mentorship, expertise and network to take the Impact Enterprises they empower to the next level in terms of credibility, trustworthiness and investment-readiness.
Support Their Impact-Driven Enterprises to Raise the Patient Capital They Need to Scale Their Operations in Cambodia (40%)
• In consultation with Platform Impact’s Board of Directors: plan, develop, implement and coordinate ambitious fundraising strategies for their Impact-Driven Enterprises,
• Lead end-to-end process to successfully secure the right types of funding for their Impact Driven Enterprises,
• Research, identify, assess and implement new fundraising opportunities and relationships amongst Financial Partners (including but not limited to Impact investors, sustainable finance organizations, institutional donors, private foundations, trusts, and individuals) to diversify and increase their sources to facilitate access to patient capital for the Impact-Driven Enterprises they support,
• In cooperation with Impact-Driven Enterprises’ Founders, C-Level and Senior Management, prepare compelling high quality funding applications, develop comprehensive due diligence materials and submit them to relevant Financial Partners,
• Be an effective liaison: Follow up approaches, facilitate conversations, organize field visits, and check on progress to ensure funding applications are fully considered by their Financial Partners, ensuring relevant data is provided as required in a timely manner,
• Ensure smooth funding, term sheet and contract negotiations between their Impact-Driven Enterprises and financial Partners,
• Help us to maintain excellent relationships with their portfolio of Financial Partners,
• Assist investees in timely financial, compliance and impact reporting.
Grow and Curate Their Member Community of Impact-Driven Enterprises in Cambodia (10%)
• Contribute to creating, activating and engaging their vast networks of strategists, thinkers and problem solvers helping them to de-risk impact entrepreneurship and investment in Cambodia,
• Curate the Platform Impact membership, bring together like-minded Impact-Driven Enterprises who understand the value of collaboration and are able to positively contribute to each other’s development,
• Identify successful Impact-Driven Enterprises operating (mainly) in emerging and developing Countries. Formulate recommendations on how to strategically approach them for establishing partnerships to test, replicate or scale their models in Cambodia.
THEIR IDEAL CANDIDATE
You will be an essential member of the team and they will rely on you to be a friendly, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and professional face of Platform Impact.
• Entrepreneurial: You have at least 5 years of professional experience in accelerators, strategic consulting, investment banking, venture capital, economic development, entrepreneurship or related fields supporting a genuine “business for good approach”,
• An inspirational strategic thinker with proven execution excellence, negotiation skills and hands-on management capabilities,
• Extremely cognizant of the principles of impact-driven entrepreneurship, sustainable finance, and corporate social responsibility,
• Commercially minded – you are comfortable speaking the language of impact-driven entrepreneurship, know your way around a business model, and have strong financial analysis and modeling skills,
• Well aware of the challenges associated to the launch, development and management of businesses in developing countries and emerging markets,
• Able to manage complex and multiple stakeholder relationships as well as communicate and influence senior leaders effectively and with ease,
• Goal oriented, Doer vs. Talker, willing to roll-up your sleeves to deliver projects successfully,
• A natural networker taking initiatives and actions to build lasting, functional relationships,
• Passionate about moving tasks forward, take full ownership of projects and show leadership skills that inspire the people you work with to continuously, think in unconventional ways, challenge the status quo and strive for improvement,
• A curious learner continuously applying strong research skills to be up-to-date on what happens in the impact entrepreneurship and investing sectors and adjacent industries,
• Creative, process-driven, proactive – while you’re great at jumping in and doing things last-minute, when necessary, you have strong skills in creating processes to ensure that nothing is forgotten and your work flows smoothly,
• Ideally strongly familiar with the local, regional and international impact entrepreneurship & investing ecosystem – working with multiple stakeholders in this impact ecosystem is a big part of this role,
• Comfortable working autonomously and within a team – their team is small, so being able to balance independence with collaboration is really important,
• A true team player: You share, discuss, ask for advice, and report on your work regularly. You will work independently; they don’t want to be on your back 😉
• A master of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
• Fluent in English (written and spoken),
• A Cambodian National (preferred), with previous international exposure and multicultural sensitivity,
• The kind of person who goes the extra mile – you’re genuinely helpful and committed; and these qualities will not go unnoticed with them, they believe in giving credit where credit is due.
WHAT WILL BE OFFERED TO YOU
A 1-year renewable contract, full-time position, $20,000 – $22,000 USD annual gross salary based on experience.
You will be in great company – every Platform Impact team member is smart, fun and friendly. They genuinely apply strong participative management principles in their day-to-day activities,
You will work in a fast-paced, international, constantly-evolving environment that is never boring; where you will support smart, creative and inspiring individuals who are developing innovative, disruptive, and cutting-edge solutions to tackle Cambodia most pressing social and environmental issues.
You will be work in a fast growing flexible and agile work environment enabling a fast-learning curve and development of your entrepreneurial side.
Your growth and personal development are at the top of their leadership team’s agenda. Their purpose is to make teams grow together. They know that an aligned core allows them to master every challenge, which is why they recruit for cultural fit.
• Email your CV with “[Impact Venture Builder] > Application _Your Name” in the subject line to email@example.com,
• Include a cover letter in your email. They will not consider applications without a cover letter! Tell them why you’re interested in the role and why they should hire you – they want to know why you’re excited by this particular opportunity,
• Detail relevant experience and skills in the cover letter – no need to write about your entire work history – concentrate instead on the parts that you consider most relevant to this position, as outlined in the job description,
• Include your earliest start date,
• Be professional but with personality – don’t write like a corporate drone, let your real self-shine through your cover letter.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
If you are interested in joining them, they strongly encourage you to apply as early as possible.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.