Industry Engagement Summer Associate
- Accion International
- Washington, DC
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Global Advisory Solutions:
Accion’s Global Advisory Solutions (GLAS) team provides experienced operational and management support to help build sustainable and scalable companies focused on serving the financial needs of underserved individuals and small businesses. We strengthen our partners and maximize their impact by leveraging innovations in technology and financial services to lower costs and increase quality at scale.
GLAS is a global team of advisors with hands on experience and deep technical and managerial expertise in building and supporting a range of financial service providers (FSPs). We work with organizations in emerging markets across Latin America, Africa and Asia to help them plan, implement, scale and enhance technologies and business models that can reduce bottlenecks to and catalyze the growth of financial services. In addition to our advisory work with FSPs, we contribute to industry development through case study work and research, knowledge sharing, as well as training and capacity building activities.
We are currently recruiting a Summer Associate who will be based in Washington, DC to support GLAS’s industry engagement efforts. This unique role requires a diverse skill set, spanning management consulting, marketing, research, and microfinance with a focus on cutting edge innovation and technology in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will lead story framing, information gathering/synthesis, analysis, and production of thought leadership pieces to share learnings from and promote GLAS’s work with industry. S/he will also work with the team to support GLAS operations and contribute to global consulting engagements as needed.
The length of this internship position is minimum 8 weeks, with a target start date of May 15, 2018.
The Accion Industry Engagement Summer Associate will gain a deeper understanding and first-hand exposure to financial inclusion trends, tools, resources and digital solutions for Accion’s FSP clients and partners. This position will work alongside colleagues passionate about working toward a more financially inclusive and interconnected world.
• Provide detailed analytical research and hands-on project support
• Conduct needs assessments, identify and advise on value-enhancing projects
• Provide project management support, including tools development and review (e.g. business requirements documentation, vendor analysis, etc.)
• Contribute to thought pieces, blogs, public relations and other modes of information dissemination to maximize demonstration effects, showcase lessons learned and build our brand as a thought leader in the space
• Assist in the development of marketing collateral to showcase and communicate Accion’s work, prioritizing key messages for external stakeholders.
• Collaborate closely with global team based in Africa, Asia, and Latin America
Qualifications and Requirements
• Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including information technology, international development, or international relations degrees)
• Generally 3+ years of professional experience
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit and passion for market-based solutions to poverty
• Business background with technology knowledge, ideally mobile banking or other innovative project experience
• Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics
• Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills (including powerpoint); comfortable working independently and confident to query senior managers
• Willingness to embody Accion’s values of Excellence, Respect and Passion for Social Change
• Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery channels such as agent banking, POS, mobile, etc.
• Microfinance experience highly valued
• GIS or advanced data analytics skills a plus
• Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets
• Language skills beyond English, Spanish preferred
Apply directly at https://jobs-accion.icims.com/jobs/1868/industry-engagement-summer-associate/job