- Kampala, Uganda
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please email a short cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject "Innovation Fellow” in all e-mail correspondence. No phone calls or posted mail applications, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Where to Apply
UpEnergy (www.upenergygroup.com) is a distribution company that makes clean energy technologies available to people in the developing world by addressing the last mile distribution challenge. UpEnergy is a technology agnostic organization that sources high quality, energy-efficient technologies like cookstoves, water filters and solar lights from reputable manufacturers. These technologies are then warehoused, marketed and sold through our own in-house sales force as well as through other local distributor channels. UpEnergy creates carbon credits from the distribution of these products which reduce carbon emissions for every year that they are in use.
In Uganda, UpEnergy has been in operation since 2011 and has built a network of sales and distribution partners to support ongoing sales of our products. We have a dynamic and fully operational local team that operates under the SmartHome brand. The Kampala team performs sales, finance, marketing and inventory management functions. The company is presently in an exciting growth phase and is looking for passionate and talented professionals to join our team.
UpEnergy’s administrative headquarters are in Mauritius with our Uganda office located in Muyenga, Kampala.
The Social Innovation Fellowship – Kampala, Uganda
We are seeking an aspiring social entrepreneur interested in clean energy, rural distribution, international health and development to serve as a 1-year Fellow in our Kampala office. This position will hold significant levels of responsibility in multiple areas of the business over time, including program design and management, business strategy and execution, monitoring and evaluation, and communications, and will have the potential for advancement to longer-term leadership positions within the company (national and/or global level).
The Fellow position is designed to provide the candidate with a broad exposure to a social business that is pioneering last-mile distribution of energy-saving products. The Fellow will help manage specific areas of the business as well as lead distinct initiatives in the company, under the mentorship and direction of the Managing Director. The role requires cultural sensitivity, entrepreneurial drive, strong sales and marketing ability, and analytical business thinking. This person must enjoy and thrive in a hands-on business role which requires ingenuity, attention to detail, and a lot of grit.
Specific position responsibilities include:
• Develop and lead a broad marketing initiative to develop impactful programming initiatives across Uganda, which will appeal to potential carbon buyers
• Conduct rigorous testing of innovative programming initiatives in the field and develop method for measuring impact
• Analyze data to assess effectiveness of innovative programming initiatives in driving sales and support that marketing and sales functions of UpEnergy Uganda as possible
• Design and implement initiatives to communicate the high and unique impact of UpEnergy’s projects to potential carbon offset buyers
• Draft communications designed to appeal to potential UpEnergy carbon offset customers
• Communicate launch, progress, and impact of UpEnergy’s programming initiatives to stakeholders
• Represent the company to a diverse group of clients and stakeholders, including business partners, schools, health
facilities, NGOs, and various levels of government
• Help advance an entrepreneurial company culture that develops and implements ideas in support of innovation and scale
• Maintain working knowledge of emerging trends in social innovation and social impact
Skills and Experience:
• Degree in business, marketing, economics, or another field complemented by demonstrated entrepreneurial talent
• 5+ years of work experience, including experience in social impact or innovation, sustainability, or similar
• A proven track record of implementing and/or managing social impact, innovation, or sustainability programs in a business context
• Strong business experience with excellent quantitative and analytical skills
• An entrepreneurial mindset, creative, ambitious and able to take initiative on new projects and demonstrate strong leadership
• Passionate about UpEnergy’s mission and entrepreneurial approaches to global development challenges, with basic knowledge of clean energy products and rural marketing and distribution
• Experience with managing new (and ideally growing) programs/projects preferred
• High level of creativity and the desire to develop new, innovative programs
• Superior relationship management skills and the ability to hold parties accountable to tight deadlines
• Fluent English and excellent written and oral communication skills required
• Interest in working and living in a bustling African capital city and contributing to the success of a scaling, innovative cookstove company
• Must possess grit, emotional intelligence and a good sense of humor
Location: The Social Innovation Fellow will be based in Kampala with occasional travel around Uganda.
Compensation: Locally competitive, commensurate with experience
UpEnergy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.