Innovative Impact Deal Terms
- Impact Terms Project, Blue Dot Advocates
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
About the Project
Impact Investors often rely on conventional term sheets to structure investments. This can create challenges and even potential conflict between capital providers and companies given that not all investments in social enterprises conform to traditional investment terms. To address these challenges, investors have begun to test new models for structuring investments, and are adding entirely new terms to address impact. Through interviews and group discussions with investors, entrepreneurs and other leaders in impact investing, this project has developed an online toolkit of innovative terms. The toolkit is intended to be dynamic and to track and share new innovations as they develop. The project is funded by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, F.B. Heron Foundation, the Piton Foundation, The Social Entrepreneurs Fund, Blue Haven Initiative and Pi Investments.
Project leads: Bruce Campbell, Chief Happiness Officer at Blue Dot Advocates, has worked as a corporate finance lawyer for 15+ years and has an extensive track record structuring impact investments. Diana Propper de Callejon, Managing Director at Cranemere Inc., has 20+ years of sustainability investment experience and developed the term sheet project as a part of her Aspen Institute and Capital Institute Fellowships.
The team has interviewed over 100 impact investors, enterprises, legal experts, and advisors from around the world and uncovered numerous innovative deal structures and impact terms. The project’s leaders seek an individual to manage the project’s public launch and to manage the day-to-day tasks involved in ensuring that the content on the site is dynamic and compelling. In addition, this individual will assist with the process of transitioning the project from a fiscal agency project under a temporary arrangement with a non-profit to an organization that will commit to funding and sustaining the project indefinitely. We are a small team looking for an individual that is a self-starter and comfortable in unstructured, professional work environments.
Key tasks include:
– Manage the final revision and launch of the website, including coordination and project management with the design firm and developers, and coordination with publicity partners
– Provide Q&A support for site users, and using this user interaction to identify and prioritize revisions to the site content as well as new content development opportunities
– Continuation of research and interviews, documenting new and innovative deal structures
– Drafting new content for the website, and launch publicity content in conjunction with publicity partners
– Provide logistics and administrative support to the Blue Dot team leading the project, including scheduling and presenting webinars, coordination with project funders and content experts, and logistics for finding a permanent project host
This is a part-time contractor or intern position, which will generally require 10-20 hours per week of effort. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and time committed, starting in February 2016. The ideal candidate will be in a position to commit to the project for up to 13 months. The minimum commitment period is 6 months.
We are looking for applicants that are excited to contribute to a project that could have significant influence in the impact investment market. We are flexible about candidate backgrounds, career paths and qualifications, although ideally applicants will have:
– At least 3-5 years of professional experience, ideally in impact investing, social enterprise or with a funded start-up
– Background in finance or related fields preferable
– Familiarity and comfort with deal structures and term sheets preferred
– Strong, professional verbal and written communication skills
– An interest in impact investing and/or social enterprise
– A friendly, team-oriented disposition
– A facility with social media tools
– Experience with WordPress would be ideal