Senior Investment Associate
- Illumen Capital
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
You are mission driven, action oriented, data-driven, and a team player. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by revolutionizing investment practices that will change the way capital is allocated. If that sounds like you, the Illumen Capital team can’t wait to meet you.
The Senior Investment Associate will manage a diverse portfolio of projects that will change the way investors and limited partners see the world. In doing so, you will work closely with our funders, fund managers, and other key stakeholders. We will rely on your finance and relationship management expertise to ensure Illumen Capital executes our mission at the highest quality. You will also have the opportunity to work closely with our Managing Director, Daryn Dodson, our Investment Committee, and Advisory Board, each possessing decades of experience in impact investing, venture capital, and private equity.
- Significant involvement in the fund investment process, including leading the sourcing, due diligence, and preparation of investment memoranda
- Driving implementation of our research alongside our partners at Stanford University
- Leading measurement and monitoring of positive impact through our portfolio, research publications, events, impact assessments, and fund manager enhancement strategies
- Supporting fundraising efforts from top foundation endowments, family offices and high net worth individuals
- Leveraging your personal network to expand Illumen Capital’s reach
- Engaging Illumen’s networks, especially our limited partners, foundation endowments, family offices, corporate executives, university partners, and subject-matter experts
- Monitoring the effective fund operations, including liaising with Illumen’s service providers
- Quantitative & Analytical. You have demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis within finance, accounting, statistics, and related fields. You have exceptional analytical abilities as shown through your work experience and academic accomplishments.
- You have approximately 6+ years of relevant work experience. Valued experience includes: investment management, investment consulting, portfolio management, PE/VC fund selection.
- Bachelor’s degree required for the role. An MBA and/or CFA equivalent is preferred though not required.
- Entrepreneurial. You’re self-motivated, and comfortable taking on new tasks or projects with little direction and adjusting course quickly under tight deadlines. You love learning new things. You are excited to contribute to the team and organization’s significant year-over-year growth by innovating our operations and processes.
- Passion for Impact. You are passionate about making a positive impact in the world, especially as it relates to racial and gender equity. Several impact areas excite you include but are not limited to: impact investing, private equity, venture capital, social innovation, impact measurement, systems thinking, and social justice.
- Dynamic Communicator. You have strong writing, oral and interpersonal communication skills, and can express ideas with clarity and conciseness. You are excited to be a relationship and project manager for a portfolio of projects, drawing upon skills that include client relationship management, proposal and grant/contract management, and financial and legal compliance.
- Willingness to Travel. Travel is approximately 25% of the time and primarily domestic. The Senior Investment Associate will be based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and relevant writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to reviewing your application!
ABOUT ILLUMEN CAPITAL
Illumen Capital is the world’s first private equity firm focused on reducing implicit bias. Our unique fund of funds approach applies pioneering research through our partnership with Stanford University to help the fund managers we invest in see past bias to impact and financial returns. We target investments spanning a range of impact sectors, including: education technology, health and wellness, renewable energy, sustainability, financial inclusion, and opportunity communities.
Illumen Capital is led by Daryn Dodson, Founder and Managing Director. Previously, Daryn led impact private equity investing at the Calvert Funds as a consultant to the Board. Calvert is a $12 billion family of mutual funds that pioneered the socially responsible investing field, which has a private equity portfolio of over forty impact funds and forty direct impact investments. Daryn also serves on the Board of Ben & Jerry’s and chairs its Social Audit Committee, which measures the company’s social impact in 35 countries globally. Daryn has an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he is a member of the Dean’s Management Board, and an AB in Public Policy from Duke University.
Illumen Capital is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Illumen are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Illumen will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.