Investment Associate or Manager
- AHL Venture Partners
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Apply via link
- Where to Apply
|About AHL Venture Partners:
AHL Venture Partners is a leading impact investor committed to advancing financial inclusion, energy access and food security through investment in scalable businesses across the African region. As a fund manager with $75M in assets under management, the ambitious team based in Africa aims to create value in the portfolio as well as innovate new financing products to meet the needs of the market.
Backed by a Swiss based HNW family, AHL is a permanent capital vehicle structured as a Limited Partnership and General Partnership out of Luxembourg. We invest in early and growth-stage companies capable of delivering impact at scale alongside healthy financial returns. AHL’s primary investment themes are financial inclusion, food & agribusiness and energy access. AHL invests in equity, venture debt and secured debt (senior and mezz), and we’re an LP in 10 funds across Africa. Our goal is to grow to >$100M in AUM in the next 3 years. We are looking for ambitious individuals to join us in building our vision.
Why should you join us?
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
– Join a collaborative, local and dynamic team, looking to achieve impact
– Join a well capitalised fund, looking to innovate its product offering to meet the needs of the market
– Work with a high degree of autonomy and in an environment which celebrates entrepreneurship, innovation, and taking initiative
– Enjoy a competitive package and flexible working environment
Position Objective & Role and Responsibilities:
The Investment Associate/Manager will play a critical role in managing AHL’s impact investment and portfolio management activities.
Deal Sourcing, Due Diligence and Deal Structuring:
– You will represent AHL in the African VC space, identifying new companies, co-investors and other partners to create meaningful partnerships.
– You will lead due diligence and present investment recommendations to AHL’s investment committee. This includes performing market analyses, evaluating financial projections, sensitivity analyses, valuations, and preparing investment memoranda.
– You will help us continue to refine our product offering to better meet the needs of high-growth, venture-backed companies while managing risk,return and impact.
– You have particular interest for venture debt, mezzanine and other innovative structures to invest in early and growth stage companies in sub-Saharan Africa.
Active Portfolio Management and Value Creation:
– Working with our Head of Portfolio and platform, you will act as portfolio manager for a sub-set of investees; pro-actively working to create high-trust relationships that enable you to identify both challenges and strategic opportunities for our portfolio companies, leveraging our team and network of partners to solve these challenges and unlock opportunities.
– You will perform financial and operational analyses of investee companies to monitor their performance.
– You will build and execute exit strategies for several current AHL portfolio companies.
Building AHL’s brand and marketing strategy:
– You will collaborate with the team to identify insights from our work and from our companies’ growth journeys and develop content to be shared externally to grow AHL’s reputation as a thought leader via social media publications, ecosystem events and our quarterly newsletter.
– You have 3-7 years of relevant and high-quality professional experience in impact investment, private equity, financial advisory, management consulting, or working in a senior role at a start-up. This experience should include independently managing transactions or client-facing projects from start to finish with limited oversight.
– You have a bachelor’s degree in business, finance or similar discipline and have preferably completed, begun or are interested in pursuing further certification (such as the CFA) or master level education (such as an MBA).
– You are a citizenship of a country in Sub Saharan Africa, preferably in East Africa.Candidate profile:
– You are an independent thinker with strong critical problem-solving skills who thrives in an environment where you are encourages to push for what you think should be done.
– You never want to stop learning; you love tackling a new challenge but have the humility to request feedback and advice, enabling you to deliver consistently stronger results and take on more responsibility.
– You thrive in an independent working environment, using your best judgment, high ethical standards, strong communication skills, passion and adeptness with start-ups/SMEs to execute on AHL’s mission;
– You have deep empathy for founders and are an entrepreneur advocate. You bring a genuine curiosity about their business objectives and goals — and use this deeper understanding to tell us how we can better support our investee business’ needs.
– You understand the power of connections. You can identify organic growth opportunities with existing relationships and understand how to strategically expand our network to make sure that AHL Venture Partners is top of mind for the right people at the right time.
– You have strong financial acumen. You can quickly scan the financials of a company to identify the key drivers of performance or challenges, sense check appropriate metrics and develop a narrative around the company’s trajectory.
– You are aligned with AHL’s values of entrepreneurship, collaboration, integrity and high performance and support our impact mission to build an inclusive and thriving economy in Africa.