- Alterna Impact
- Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Full-time Fellowship
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Alterna is looking for a highly qualified and driven professional to join the team responsible for launching, managing, and growing our impact investment fund. This Fellow will be an integral part of the Cultivation team, directly supporting the high growth trajectory of Alterna.
In our experience collaborating with more than 1,200 entrepreneurs, we have seen that high-potential, early stage companies often lack access to financial tools adapted to their needs. In Alterna, we see this need as an opportunity to complement the impact investment category. Together with the Multilateral Investment Fund (FOMIN) of the International Development Bank (IDB), we launched La Ruta Alterna, a program that provides seed capital for social enterprises in a diversity of stages and levels. The program is complemented by a series of Cultivation services, highest quality advisory and resources to help them achieve traction and scale. In this spirit, we seek to stimulate the impact of the investment culture in the small but growing business segment.
This Fellow will join Alterna on October 22, 2018, with a minimum commitment of 8 months.
The Investment Fellow will support the Portfolio Manager in the management and execution of the impact investment fund. The key focus areas include:
- Management of the Financial Due Diligence process
* Conduct research (on and off site) and detailed analysis of investment opportunities (including business plan review, financial analysis and social impact assessment)
* Perform financial modeling to evaluate various investment scenarios
* Support with the development of the Entrepreneur File for the Credit Committee; analyze and synthesize materials to ensure that each file is in order and complete
* Make field visits to entrepreneurs with investment potential to verify on site the conditions of each business
* Conduct research on relevant issues (i.e., market trends, commercial strategies, best practices, etc.) to deepen and integrate local market expertise
- Support in the analysis, management and ongoing oversight of the portfolio
* Generate status reports for entrepreneurs and the investment portfolio
* Support the implementation of impact monitoring mechanisms
* Legal Due Diligence support, providing follow-up to complete documentation
* Support with the follow-up and control of repayment
- Provide support in other Cultivation activities and objectives, such as:
* Support the development and dissemination of knowledge, tools, and learning resources for Alterna staff in impact investing and innovative finance, as needed
* Continually research innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of impact investing and social entrepreneurship
* Participation in a variety of sector events, such as FLII CA & C (Latin American Impact Investment Forum for Central America and the Caribbean), a globally recognized forum led by Alterna in November 2018 that brings together more than 500 international and regional stakeholders in investment impact and social entrepreneurship
Please note that the Fellow will work directly with the Portfolio Manager and the members of the Cultivation team to execute and receive feedback and support in defined activities.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Key areas of expertise for a successful candidate include:
* Prior professional experience (ideally 2 to 5 years) in related areas, including but not limited to Finance, Investment Management and Economic Development.
* Bachelor’s degree in related area required; Advanced degree (MBA, MsC, etc.) highly preferred
* Professional experience and / or prior exposure to Latin America or developing region highly referred
* Solid essential financial knowledge and accounting principles
* Skills in financial modeling, projections and scenarios
* Ideally, previous experience in due diligence processes
* Professional language competency in Spanish and English, with excellent written and verbal communication
* Knowledge and passion for social entrepreneurship and the impact investment sector
Personal skills and abilities include:
* A demonstrated balance of autonomy and self-motivation with strong team collaboration skills
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity and adapt to challenges with minimal resources
* Humility, empathy and cultural sensitivity
* A sense of humor and contagious energy
The Fellowship will be located in Guatemala City. Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow; in return of this investment of your talent and experience, Fellows will get the unique opportunity to:
* Join the pioneer organization of the impact sector in Central America and gain unparalleled exposure to initiatives that are breaking boundaries in a rapidly developing region
* Advance a diverse professional skill set and generate a lasting impact on Alterna and on the ecosystem
* Gain hands-on experience in a developing context and the Latin American entrepreneurship ecosystem, granting first-hand insights on systematic complexities and best practices in social innovation
* Connect with a network of over ~1,000+ regional entrepreneurs and a wide-reaching network of global impact leaders, presenting invaluable opportunities for professional connections and opportunities
* Work in an exciting, multicultural setting with the international, passionate, and fun-loving tribe of Alterna
* Seize a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live the rich history, culture, and reality of Guatemala, the heart of the Mayan civilization and Central America’s most diverse country, with extraordinary access to captivating landscapes, adventures, and cultural experiences
HOW TO APPLY
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you like to have fun while you work we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellow Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows) and send it with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see our “Frequently Asked Questions” section on our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows).
Have a question that you couldn’t find there? Email a member of our team at email@example.com.