- Optimizer Foundation
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Founded in 2017, Optimizer Foundation is an impact investing organisation (org. structure is non-profit), based out of Stockholm, Sweden. The Foundation strives to improve access to education and health services for low income populations across East Africa and India. As such, the Foundation invests capital (equity/debt), coupled with business advisory support, into for-profit early stage social businesses demonstrating innovative and scalable solutions that drive access to high quality education and healthcare.
The Foundation is now looking to strengthen its presence in East Africa, through a permanent position based in Nairobi.
The Investment Manager will support Optimizer Foundation in growing the pipeline (sourcing/ analysing) of high potential investment opportunities across education/health sectors in East Africa, and be the focal point for select portfolio companies, including providing business advisory support to the portfolio companies. The role is a unique opportunity to join a young and fast-growing impact investing organisation and play an instrumental part in building the portfolio for East Africa, improving the lives for millions of low income people over the coming years. As the first hire in East Africa, the person will work independently out of Nairobi, reporting to the Stockholm based team.
Key responsibilities include:
– Deal scouting/assessment: growing the pipeline of high potential social businesses across Kenya/Uganda/Rwanda. This includes identification and assessment of investment opportunities; and support across the full due diligence process
– Portfolio management: managing the growing portfolio of social businesses, including participation in investor meetings, reporting (financial/social impact), providing/coordinating business advisory to the social businesses etc.
– Impact assessment: supporting development of impact assessment frameworks across the portfolio; collating and analysing data
– Building sector expertise: deepening the Foundation’s expertise in the education and health sectors through continuous research/monitoring of sector trends; policy development etc.
– Other: developing relationships with key ecosystem actors including impact investors, accelerators/incubators and other organizations; represent the Foundation at key events in the region (i.e. conferences etc.)
– Travel: The role includes brief regular trips to Uganda/Rwanda and annual trips to Europe
– Compensation: Competitive
– Starting date: As soon as possible
The role can be slightly adapted to the ideal candidate based on experience.
– A minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience – i.e. investment management; strategy/management consulting; or equivalent business advisory roles
– Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills – i.e. qualitative/quantitative research; financial analysis (i.e. assessment of financial models/business cases) required
– Track record in the social impact sector – i.e. experience working with social businesses or in impact-oriented role
– Previous experience working in East Africa, including existing network amongst start up sector/(impact) investment sector in the region strongly preferred
– Strong project management skills
– Demonstrated self-starter/ability to work independently; thriving in an entrepreneurial environment of a young and fast-growing impact investing organisation
– Kenyan citizen (i.e. permanent residency holder) preferred but not a requirement
Kindly send your application including CV and cover letter to email@example.com latest by 2nd of April. Please include your name in the subject line of the email. Applications will be assessed /interviews scheduled on a rolling basis.