- Open Road Alliance
- Washington, DC or New York, NY
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
We are looking for a mid-level professional to help source, vet, recommend, and manage Open Road’s core investment portfolio. The ideal candidate will have minimum 5 years experience managing a loan portfolio or other finance experience and a proven interest in the philanthropic/impact investing space. While our portfolio is global, they will have direct experience working with social enterprises or nonprofits in Sub-Saharan Africa. The ideal candidate will be confident, organized, able to work autonomously and eager to join our passionate, impact-driven, and humor-loving team.
About Open Road
Open Road Alliance is a private philanthropic initiative that provides grants and loans to fill a market demand for fast, flexible contingency funding.
The world is unpredictable – from delays in committed funding to government policy changes, good organizations run into unexpected obstacles. To address this funding gap, Open Road offers financing to nonprofits and social enterprises facing discrete, unexpected roadblocks during project implementation via two portfolios: Charitable Grants and Loans. Open Road Loans are below-market-rate and disbursed via a loan fund, Open Road Ventures. ORA has no sector or geography focus – its focus is to keep impact on track. This approach ensures that the impact of the original project preserves the ROI of the original funder’s investment and generates significant leverage for Open Road.
In addition to its portfolio of investments, Open Road conducts research, develops tools, and generates data on best practices for risk management in philanthropy. By disseminating learnings around risk management and advocating for the adoption of best practices, Open Road is working to make risk management as commonplace in philanthropy as monitoring and evaluation. For more information, visitwww.openroadalliance.org.
The Investment Officer is an integral member of the Social Investments team, specifically responsible for managing Open Road’s increased volume of applicant pipeline. This includes origination, vetting, and relationship-management. The Investment Officer will be the primary, external facing point of contact for qualified applicants, managing up to 40 relationships per year. The Investment Officer will also support the Social Investments team in post-investment portfolio management, as needed. Open Road’s primary portfolio is comprised of low-interest loans, with a smaller portfolio for charitable and recoverable grants. To successfully manage these portfolios, the Investment Officer will have financial structuring experience, a deep knowledge of the social sector, a strong commitment to the mission of Open Road, experience working with a range of financial products, and a knack for excellent customer service. Since Open Road is a philanthropic investor, portfolio success is evaluated in terms of social and financial indicators, including assessing social impact and other non-¬financial criteria. This position will report to the Director of Social Investments.
Open Road is a “21st Century” work environment and does not operate out of a fixed office. This position will ideally be based in New York or Washington DC, to enable regular in‐person meetings with other Open Road staff.
Portfolio Origination – Intake and Outreach
• Maintain a robust pipeline of potential investments through pro¬active sourcing of potential grantees and borrowers.
• Regularly speak with potential applicants and referrals to explain the investment strategy and criteria of Open Road.
• Serve as primary, external facing point of contact for qualified applicants, managing up to 40 relationships per year.
• Shepherd potential applicants through the due diligence process including: conduct initial conversation, provide feedback on draft applications, conduct reference checks, coordinate final interviews, prepare briefings for investment team, participate in all aspects of vetting, and make investment recommendations.
• For loans, analyze financial statements, structure transaction and negotiation of key terms, including term sheets and loan agreements.
• Conduct research and compile briefings on prospective grantee/borrower organizations, foundation and impact investing partners, and other topics, as needed.
Support post-investment/grant portfolio management for Social Investments team, including:
• Maintaining an open line of communication with grantee/borrower partners at all times
• Act as relationship manager once grant or loan has been made, checking in with partners on a quarterly basis,
• In conjunction with Portfolio Administrator, manage reporting on the portfolio including monthly reports in Excel and Tableau.
• Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparing investment updates, identifying best practices across the portfolio, and documenting learnings to be shared within Open Road and externally
• Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in relevant field a plus though not required
• Minimum 5 years of work experience, preferably in impact investing, finance, philanthropy, and/or consulting
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills; including ability to identify and assess risk and analyze and understand complex financing structures. Comfort with financial statements and corporate finance required.
• Experience working or living in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferred
• Project management-related or analogous experience preferred
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
• Ability to work on multiple opportunities across products and sectors while working to deadlines and managing time effectively;
• Highly proficient with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel for financial modeling
• As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite;
Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics
• Exceptional critical thinker that is hungry to learn;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent attention to detail, time management and organizational skills
• Highly communicative, proactive approach
• Very strong ability to self-manage in remote work environments;
• Proven ability to successfully work with a team of stakeholders based in various locations;
• Reliable and deadline¬‐driven
• Humble and compassionate
• Good sense of humor;
• Absolute and unquestioned integrity
Position Location & Travel:
Open Road is a “21st Century” work environment and does not operate out of a fixed office. We leverage technology and digital communications on a daily basis to stay connected and foster an efficient and effective working environment.
This will be a remote position with frequent virtual and occasional in-person meetings. Candidates based in New York or Washington, DC, will be given preference.
Must be able and willing to travel up to 10% for in-person meetings, conferences, and/or other events.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position with comprehensive medical, retirement, and other benefits.
Budgeted salary range for this position is $80,000-90,000 with final offer to be based on the individual candidate’s qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
• Email résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Ensure the subject states “Investment Officer—[YOUR NAME]”
• Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. We regret that we are not in a position to personally respond to all applicants.
• Applications received by February 15th will be given priority.