Investment & Portfolio Associate Manager
- MCE Social Capital
- Barcelona, Spain
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Portfolio Associate / Manager application” in the subject line.
- Where to Apply
Investment & Portfolio Associate / Manager – Central Asia & Caucasus Impact Investing in Developing Countries
MCE Social Capital (MCE) is a nonprofit impact investing firm with a mission to unlock capital to empower families living in poverty to build a better future. MCE uses a pioneering blended finance model to leverage the excellent credit of high-net-worth individuals and foundations (Guarantors) to borrow capital from U.S. and European financial institutions and accredited investors. MCE then strategically deploys this capital to small and growing businesses and microfinance institutions in developing countries, with a focus on reaching women and families in rural areas. Since 2006, MCE has disbursed over $240 million in investment capital to 140 institutions in 55 countries across Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Caucasus, with current assets under management of $60 million. MCE is actively exploring how to increase its impact – by sharpening its focus on promoting gender equity, elevating its attention to climate effects and mitigation, and by developing additional financing models.
MCE manages two investment portfolios:
• Small and Growing Businesses that create jobs, help smallholder farmers improve productivity and income, and facilitate clean water and energy. MCE seeks to address some of the critical market gaps by providing catalytic loans of $100k to $2 million to support small and growing businesses in the “missing middle”.
• Inclusive Finance, investing in microfinance institutions and other financial service providers that help people living in rural areas gain access to credit, savings accounts, insurance, and business education. MCE provides loans of up to $4 million.
MCE is a growing, dynamic organization with hubs in San Francisco, CA and Barcelona, Spain.
MCE Social Capital (MCE) seeks to hire a Portfolio Associate / Manager who will develop and execute on roadmaps for achieving MCE and Portfolio team goals in region(s) of responsibility, including: deal sourcing, due diligence, financial analysis, deal structuring, performance monitoring and asset management across both investment portfolios.
The position has a primary region of responsibility for Central Asia & Caucasus and also offers coverage within at least one other region of the world, fully owning the investing process in several countries.
The Portfolio Associate / Manager reports directly to the Chief Investment Officer and will be part of a team of seven Portfolio staff and will also coordinate workstreams across other MCE functions. The position works with and supervises the work of Portfolio Analysts and interns.
An ideal candidate will possess the skills, abilities, and the engagement that will allow him/her to quickly take over relationships with existing clients, generate pipeline, complete investment analysis, and recommend a long-term strategy for the countries under management, in particular the development of the SGB portfolio. The candidate will strive to generate positive environmental and social impact in line with MCE’s mission, while managing portfolio economics and risks.
They are looking for individuals with a “can do” attitude, who are passionate about supporting businesses in developing countries. The candidates are able to work in a dynamic environment, have entrepreneurial drive, an analytical mind with extreme attention to detail, and pride in the quality of their work. Their approach to work, whether with colleagues, partners or clients, is collaborative.
Lead debt finance transactions:
• Deal sourcing and deal screening for Inclusive Finance and SGBs, including financial, operational and impact metrics
• Term sheet negotiation
• Due diligence
• Financial modeling and analysis
• Country risk analysis
• Investment structuring and risk mitigation; for SGBs, that includes mezzanine type transactions (revenue-based funding, venture debt, etc.)
• Approval process, including presentation of loans to MCE’s Loan Committees
• Proper management and execution of all investment legal documents
Portfolio Monitoring & Analysis:
• Monitor on-going financial and operational performance of clients
• Analyze country risks and trends
• Monitor and communicate internally relevant trends in the SGB and inclusive finance sectors that may inform MCE’s investing strategy and/or individual investments
• Restructurings and workouts
• Work along the Impact Analyst to collect and monitor social & environmental impact data across MCE’s portfolio. Contribute to impact analysis for annual Guarantor report, Board memos, and general MCE communication
Strategy and Process Improvement:
• Support the CIO and the Senior Management team in refining the portfolio strategy (sector, geography, etc.), investment theses, and enabling process improvements
• Participate in industry conferences in regions of responsibility
• Cooperate with peers in the impact space (equity investors, lenders, accelerators, etc.) in various capacity: process improvement, deal coordination, workouts, etc.
• Translate external learnings into internal process improvements
• Master’s degree.
• Minimum of four years of full-time professional experience.
• Minimum of two years of direct investing experience.
• Fluency in English and Russian (mandatory).
• Strong understanding of financial accounting: must be able to quickly analyze financial statements, draw conclusions, and produce questions.
• Thorough knowledge of Excel and ability to create complex financial models.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to present complex information concisely and communicate in a highly professional manner.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and lead various workflows with and across teams and organizational functions.
• Self-motivated and proactive work ethic, with a demonstrated ability to see tasks through to completion independently and carry new ideas to fruition.
• Highly organized with a strong attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities and projects.
• Capacity to connect with individuals and build professional relationships across cultural, language, and socio-economic differences.
• Strong commitment to and passion for MCE’s mission and strong belief in the value of “impact-first” impact investing.
• Strong operational experience either in agriculture, energy, business or manufacturing processes a plus.
• Ideally one year working in or with developing countries.
• Willingness to travel about 6-8 times (8-16 weeks) a year
Barcelona, Spain (EU citizenship required).
Compensation & Benefits
MCE provides competitive salaries.
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Portfolio Associate / Manager application” in the subject line.