Investor Relations Associate – Stewardship
- Root Capital
- Cambridge, MA
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Reports to: Investor Relations Officer
Root Capital seeks a motivated individual to join a growing team focused on building strong, lasting relationships with individual donors. The heart of this position is creating great experiences for members of our donor community, with a focus on those donors who currently give or have capacity to give at high levels regularly and significantly. This role balances managing operations and logistics with an opportunity for building out and implementing new ideas. The Associate will work with his/her teammates to craft and execute online/offline events, travel experiences, and other touch points for donors at a variety of levels to ensure lasting, high quality relationships. This position will also oversee the logistics of gift acknowledgement, processing, and team performance/knowledge management. This position will also share responsibility for prospect research. We are seeking an individual who loves data and details, excels at communication as well as project management, and will bring a spirit of service to the role.
• Donor Stewardship: (45%)
o Design & execute stewardship events, webinars, donor trips, written and digital campaigns
Events might include cocktail hours, dinners, brown bag lunches, etc.
Online events may coincide with quarterly investor webinars or be unique events designed by our team or in collaboration with donors or ambassadors
o Donor trips bring donors to connect with field operations of Root Capital 2-3/year. Requires coordination with field staff, travel booking, logistics, and communication with trip participants.
• Prospect Research (20%)
o Proactively research incoming donors to flag individuals for enhanced stewardship
o Use best practice research tools to identify incoming donors who might have higher capacity; develop systems for this and to flag and categorize donors and develop stewardship plans in collaboration with team and manager.
• Donor Communication (15%)
o Manage monthly donor program
o Design & implement both systematic and opportunistic communications to all donor segments
o Collaborate with Communications team on digital and written campaigns, collateral development customized for donors
• Donor Acknowledgement (10%)
o Manage donor acknowledgement for all individual donations
Work with accounting and finance teams to track grant allocation, etc.
Write and update donor thank you letters quarterly with fresh content
o Identify creative opportunities for enhanced stewardship for high priority donors
o Coordinate end of year donor acknowledgement (e.g. holiday card, gifts)
o Collaborate with Executive Office to support stewardship of CEO donor relationships
• Performance Management/Administration (10%)
o Collaborate with Salesforce Administrator to manage team knowledge management, performance analysis, etc.
o Track effectiveness of campaigns and stewardship in helping meet fundraising goals
o Measure quantitative output and effectiveness of donor meetings, cultivation events, etc.
o Develop Salesforce reports for tracking stewardship and other as needed
o Perform tasks as requested.
Qualifications and Skills
• College Degree
• 2+ years of relevant work experience
• Highly organized and detail-oriented.
• Previous experience building/improving/managing systems and processes, ownership over operations and logistics. Fundraising experience a plus, not required.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, keeping track of small details; highly organized and execution focused.
• Proactive and creative individual who will take initiative to suggest or execute improvements to existing processes.
• Experience with data analysis and making recommendations based on data.
• Experience with Salesforce or similar knowledge management/CRM system
• Previous experience with fundraising operations preferred, not required.
• Spanish working proficiency (writing and speaking) strongly preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Applications and Nominations
More information about Root Capital is available at www.rootcapital.org
Mission and History of Root Capital
Root Capital serves agricultural businesses that connect smallholder farmers to world markets. When these businesses grow, they become engines of impact that transform their communities. They increase incomes, create jobs, preserve ecosystems, empower women and give young people the opportunity to lead. We are unconventional problem solvers. We are humanitarians and environmentalists, philanthropists and investors, farmers and feminists.
We provide capital, deliver financial training, and strength market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses. Since 1999, Root Capital has disbursed more than $1 billion in credit to 632 businesses, representing over 1.2 million smallholder farmers. Root Capital’s clients produce dozens of different agricultural products, from coffee, cocoa, and cashews, to staple grains, to wild-harvested products like natural gums and shea butter.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Working with Root Capital
Our team members work hard to tackle the challenges inherent in changing the world for the better, so we strive to cultivate an environment in which it feels great to work. Working for Root Capital you can expect to enjoy the following:
• Diverse and dynamic team: With staff based in the United States, Latin America, East Africa, and West Africa, our team is highly collaborative, and we regularly consult with one another to gain expertise or a new perspective.
• Flexibility: Once a week, avoid the commute and join your team from the comfort of your home via videoconference.
• Wellness: Work for an organization that cares about the whole you. Both offices contain showers and changing rooms, so you can bike to work, take a fitness class near the office, or go for a jog during lunch.
• Dress: Dress in the way that makes you feel most productive, from business casual to jeans.
• Coffee: Did we mention the coffee? We take it very seriously; it’s high quality and always available!