Kiva San Jose Lead
- San Francisco Bay Area
- Where to Apply
Kiva (www.Kiva.org) is a mission driven technology company. We run a global marketplace platform for crowd-funded micro-loans that serves the impoverished and financially excluded. Kiva combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit with the drive to address poverty at global scale. We aim to drive social impact and enable opportunity while providing a borrower-to-lender connection: “Loans that change lives.” In just 10 years, Kiva has raised $850 million in loan capital for over 2 million borrowers in over 85 countries. Kiva’s lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month.
The Kiva U.S. program was launched in 2011 to lend directly to Kiva’s entrepreneurs. Endorsed by President Bill Clinton and Senator Cory Booker, and featured in Fast Company and the Wall Street Journal, Kiva U.S. aims to expand access to capital beyond conventional microfinance, lower interest rates for small business owners (ours are 0%!), and more closely connect U.S. entrepreneurs with Kiva’s global community of 1.5 million lenders.
The Kiva San Jose Lead will be responsible for the growth, development and management of all aspects of the Kiva program in San Jose. This position reports to the Senior Program Manager, Kiva US. This is a full-time temporary position that is expected to last for 18 months, until early 2018.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Help set the strategic direction for the Kiva program in San Jose;
- Identify and manage relationships with partner organizations in San Jose with a specific focus on long term sustainability and success;
- Seek out opportunities to market the Kiva program directly to potential borrowers through both online and offline channels;
- Manage volunteers and Kiva Advisors to support the growth objectives of the program in San Jose;
- Cultivate an engaged community among the various Kiva ‘actors’ in the San Jose community – borrowers, trustees, lenders, volunteers (e.g. through marketing emails, quarterly meetup events, etc.);
- Coordinate the logistics for our Kiva San Jose launch event.
- Highly independent, proactive and entrepreneurial. You need to be a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and defining your own direction;
- Extremely passionate about your work, and expanding economic opportunity in the San Jose community;
- Someone who enjoys being part of a close-knit and collaborative team. You get along well with others and genuinely want to help and support others;
- Able to work successfully on multiple projects. You are also flexible and comfortable with change;
- Adept at building effective relationships with businesses in the community;
- Someone with a well-developed, balanced skillset. You should be comfortable answering challenging strategic questions, executing analyses, interacting with people, and rigorously driving operational execution;
- Most importantly, we are looking for someone who can get things done!
- At least two years’ experience in business development, program management, or related role;
- Proficient in Office applications (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel);
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills with internal staff and external partners;
- Ability to work cross-functionally;
- Ready to help attitude; optimistic, energetic and passionate;
- Strong commitment to ethics, honesty, and integrity in conducting business;
- Spanish language skills a huge plus.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva’s culture. The Kiva team includes employees from a wide variety of backgrounds, educational experiences, races, nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!