Leadership and Advisor Roles 2016/17
- Tony Blair African Governance Initiative
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Over a billion people in Africa need their governments to provide basic public services such as hospitals, schools, sanitation, employment opportunities and much more. When governments fail to deliver, it’s the poor that suffer most. That’s why AGI’s mission is to support effective government in Africa – to make government work for the world’s poorest people.
To achieve this vision, we provide practical advice and support to help African Leaders bridge the gap between their vision for a better future and the capacity of their governments to achieve it. In the last year, this has included helping to end Ebola in West Africa, supporting the set-up of the Development Bank of Nigeria, and reforms in Rwanda that will increase farmers’ incomes and exports.
Our model combines the experience of AGI’s founder and Patron, Tony Blair, with on-the-ground teams of professionals working shoulder-to-shoulder with counterparts in the heart of partner governments to develop capacity and put in place the skills, systems and structures needed to drive delivery on the ground. Currently, AGI is working to support the governments of Sierra Leone, Liberia, Rwanda, Guinea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mozambique and Nigeria.
AGI teams understand that politics is as important as technical knowhow when it comes to getting things done. They are excellent at building and maintaining relationships, possess strong leadership skills, and skilled in helping our partner governments solve some of the continent’s most complex delivery challenges. We are bound by a unique set of shared values; we’re bold in our approach, relentless in pursuit of impact, led by our government partners not by our own agenda, passionate about Africa’s potential and independent in our advice and analyses. Our work has the potential to help change millions of lives for the better.
Upcoming Opportunities – 2016/2017
We are seeking individuals with 7+ year’s relevant professional experience within public/civil services worldwide; strategy consulting; relevant industry sectors; private equity and finance; and international development. AGI is committed to building multi-disciplinary teams and are particularly interested in candidates with experience planning and delivery, performance management processes; change management, executive/private office support; or government and strategic communications. For any of our roles, experience of living and working in developing countries is desirable but not essential.
Candidates who speak fluent French and/or Portuguese, will be prioritized for roles in our Francophone and Lusophone countries.
AGI Country Heads have full responsibility of all programme activities, including managing a team of 4-10 people, project budget oversight, strategic programme design and the delivery and evaluation of project goals. This includes managing relations with senior government stakeholders, including, in some countries, the President. For these challenging and demanding roles we are looking for exceptional performance in the AGI competencies and proven experience of building senior relationships and managing high performing teams.
Governance Advisor roles
AGI’s Governance Advisors work within Centre of Government institutions – Presidents’ and Prime Ministers’ offices; cross-government co-ordination offices; and strategy, policy and delivery units, as well as within Priority Ministries. These include:
• Finance and Investment – individuals with experience of economic planning, project finance, innovative public finance models, donor and financier coordination, and/or securing access to finance for the private sector and farmers. We are also seeking individuals with experience of the ICT and innovation industry.
• Energy – individuals with government, consulting or industry experience in the electricity sector, e.g. in energy policy, the performance of energy utilities, public-private partnerships, and the management of power generation and distribution projects.
• Transport Infrastructure – individuals with government, consulting or industry experience e.g. the performance of infrastructure ministries and agencies, public-private partnerships, project management and oversight of major infrastructure projects in developing countries.
• Private Sector Development – individuals with experience in investment facilitation/ promotion, business linkages and value chain coordination, managing investment deals in emerging market economies and/or delivering organisational change.
• Agriculture – individuals with experience in value chain development, investment appraisal, and business planning and market analysis. Experience in emerging market economies preferred.
For further information on upcoming opportunities please visit our careers website
In order to apply for an AGI role you are required to complete an online application form which includes uploading your CV (no longer than 2 pages) and completing a 300 word personal statement explaining why you want to work at AGI and your suitability to the role.
For more information please contact email@example.com. We will be looking to fill roles throughout 2016/2017 and will let you know if your application is being considered.