Major Gifts Officer
- Room to Read
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
Room to Read is a global organization transforming the lives of millions of children in low-income countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children®, our innovative model focuses on deep, systemic transformation within schools in low-income countries during two time periods which are most critical in a child’s schooling: early primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girls’ education. We work in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments to develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children and ensure girls can complete secondary school with the skills necessary to negotiate key life decisions. By focusing on the quality of education provided within the communities and ensuring these outcomes are measured, we have created a model that can be replicated, localized and sustained by governments. Room to Read has benefited 10 million children across 17,000 communities in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam and Zambia, and aims to reach 15 million children by 2020.
The Major Gifts Officer, West Coast is a part of the North America Development team and is based in Room to Read’s global headquarters in San Francisco. The Major Gifts Officer is an integral part of the Development Team and focuses primarily on the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major High Net Worth donors and prospects throughout the Western US and Canada.
This position reports to the Development Director, North America (based in New York), and manages a team of two fundraisers on the West Coast. The Major Gifts Officer must be a self-motivated team player who is committed to our cause and has a track record of delivering results including six- and seven-figure gifts. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, personable fundraiser, with the experience to continue to grow our success.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Generate $3MM+ through the careful manage of a portfolio of 150+ major gift prospects and donors in the western US and Canada capable of making gifts at the $100,000+ level
• Work with executives on key donor relationships and to achieve the above income target
• Using sound fundraising principles, develop long-term cultivation and stewardship strategies that utilize the expertise of key Room to Read staff and leadership in deepening donors’ commitment to the organization
• Identify new fundraising opportunities and work with the West Coast team to develop a significant pipeline of prospective donors
• Serve as a representative for Room to Read to important internal and external constituents
• Manage the Development Associate and Development Associate Manager (Chapters and Events); both based in San Francisco
• Assist in planning and executing major donor cultivation and stewardship events
• Participate as a member of Room to Read’s High Net Worth resource group
• Support the work of the North America Development Director as required. Including: regional business planning, income tracking and forecasting, and broader fundraising strategy for the market
• Stay current with organizational strategies and program details and plans in order to recommend potential funding opportunities to donors
• Other responsibilities as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
• At least 7 years of relevant professional experience
• Proven experience in successfully cultivating individual and corporate donors and in securing six- and seven- figure donations
• Proven ability to work successfully in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and priorities, paying close attention to details and results
• Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
• Flexible and able to proactively problem solve issues as they arise
• Ability work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
• Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead
• Ability and desire to travel within North America as needed
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Adept at using MS Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, database systems and communicating over email
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
• Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
• Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
• Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, commuter benefits, and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing the world through literacy and gender equality in education.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, with ”Major Gifts Officer_NB” in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to high applicant volume we regret that we are not able to respond to all applicants personally. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Room to Read is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.