Major Grants Officer
- Fair Trade USA (FTUSA)
- Oakland, Boston or New York City
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
The Position & Key Priorities
FTUSA is now investing significant capital in its global expansion and is well positioned for its next phase of growth, impacting the lives of millions of families. The Major Gifts Officer will join this incredible journey and help provide the resources to drive innovation to enable the organization to scale.
Reporting to the Vice President of Resource Development, the Major Gifts Officer is charged with driving FTUSA’s ambitious growth plans by growing and managing a portfolio of major and planned giving prospects.
Working in collaboration with the Vice President of Resource Development, the Director’s key priorities include:
– Grow and manage an active portfolio of at least 100 donors and prospects with the capacity to make gifts of at least high-five and six figures.
– Identify new individual major donors using creative and entrepreneurial approaches.
– Develop and implement meaningful engagement strategies for donors and prospects to achieve revenue targets defined in the strategic plan in collaboration with the Vice President, C.E.O. and the team.
– Support and grow major gifts from current donors.
– Collaborate across the organization to develop proposals and reports for donors and prospects.
– Demonstrate and deploy excellent working knowledge of Fair Trade USA’s mission, strategy, goals and programs in writing and in person.
– Work with and support colleagues throughout the organization to become fundraising ambassadors.
– Ensure all development activity is tracked and deployed to make continual improvements.
The Ideal Candidate
Fair Trade USA is seeking an outstanding, accomplished Major Gifts Officer who can significantly grow the organization’s revenue and impact over the next 3 to 5 years. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in identifying, cultivating, and closing six figure gifts including highly personalized proposals.
Fair Trade USA is a fast-paced, dynamic environment driven by a passion for doing good in the world. It values integrity, innovation, idealism and impact. The Director must thrive in this highly entrepreneurial and results-focused setting and bring the analytical strength to help the organization prioritize opportunities and execute successfully.
– Bachelor’s degree.
– Minimum of 8 years’ fundraising experience with demonstrated success in major gifts with a preference for experience in human services or international development.
– Experience with qualification and growing a portfolio.
– Familiarity with basic planned giving concepts.
– Familiarity with fundraising information systems and experience with donor management.
– Excellent written and oral skills, confident public speaker, strong presentation skills.
– Independent, entrepreneurial thinker who also thrives in a team setting.
– Previous experience with an international NGO is beneficial.
– Frequent travel required, within the U.S. and internationally.
– The location is flexible, although a location in the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston or New York metropolitan areas is preferred.
– Must demonstrate passion for Fair Trade USA’s mission.
To Be Considered
Fair Trade USA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified candidates to apply as soon as possible by submitting both a resume and a cover letter to the attention of Ruskin Hartley, Vice President of Resource Development
Fair Trade USA (FTUSA), a four-time winner of Fast Company Magazine’s Social Capitalist award, is an internationally renowned social enterprise that promotes sustainable development and corporate social responsibility. Founded in 1998, FTUSA is the leading independent third-party certifier of Fair Trade products in the United States. Its unique market-based model for sustainability links millions of farming families in the developing world to leading U.S. and global companies through more direct, equitable trading partnerships. Fair Trade empowers working and farming families to improve their living standards while protecting the environment. At the same time, it strengthens global supply chains and makes sustainability a driver of profitability for the business community. To date, FTUSA has channeled over $450 million in additional income to hardworking farmers and workers around the world.
How It Works
Fair Trade USA takes pride in having developed strong partnerships with over 1,200 U.S. and global companies – from importers and exporters to leading brands and retailers of coffee, tea, chocolate, sugar, fresh produce, fish, apparel, home goods, and dozens of other product categories. Our unique, “shared value” model ensures that farmers and workers in the global supply chain achieve better working conditions, incomes and living standards. At the same time, Fair Trade enables brands and retailers to develop stronger supply chains, reputations and consumer loyalty. Today, 64% of U.S. shoppers recognize the Fair Trade Certified™ label and 20% are buying Fair Trade products. The rapid growth of the Fair Trade market over the last 18 years suggests that a more enlightened model of Conscious Capitalism is emerging – enabling people, planet and profit to thrive together. As both a market phenomenon and a grassroots movement, Fair Trade is reaching a tipping point, promising dramatic growth in scale and impact in the coming years.