Manager of Major and Individual Gifts
- Living Goods
- Location flexible, with a preference for New York City, Washington, DC, or San Francisco Bay Area
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Apply via our Careers Page: https://livinggoods.applytojob.com/apply/Va5ualmw3b/Manager-Major-And-Individual-Gifts?source=https://app.jazz.co/app/v2/job/3324962/edit/advertise%23custom-link
- Where to Apply
About Living Goods
Living Goods (LG) is a leading non-profit organization innovatively transforming the health of vulnerable communities. We support networks of trusted community health workers (CHWs) to transform health outcomes for women and children, and work to advance system change by partnering with governments to sustainably lead. We focus on ensuring CHWs are treated as essential health workers who should be digitized, equipped, supervised and compensated—so they can make the greatest impact—and harnessing community-level data to transform health systems. We focus on treating some of the deadliest but most easily treatable deadly childhood diseases, supporting women of reproductive age with pregnancy support and family planning, and ensuring every child is fully vaccinated. At the end of 2020, Living Goods was supporting more than 11,000 CHWs in Kenya and Uganda to deliver care to more than 8.5 million people.
Living Goods is looking for an experienced, pro-active individual excited for the role of Manager, Major and Individual Gifts. This position will join our geographically diverse Business Development team of 10+ individuals and have a tremendous opportunity to contribute to improving community health systems in East Africa.
This newly created role will support the Major Gifts team in qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual and family foundation prospects and donors. Under the leadership of Deputy Director, Major Gifts, this individual will develop strategy for and manage a mid-level donor portfolio to ensure ongoing annual support for Living Goods’ work and develop additional pipeline for major gifts. Together with the Deputy Director and our Major Gifts Associate, this person will support current efforts to cultivate and steward individual donors, as well as prospect, research, qualify, and outreach to new individual and family foundation donors.
Living Goods has been very successful in fundraising, growing from $10M revenue in 2016 to $30M in 2020, the organization’s most successful fundraising year to date. More than 80 percent of Living Goods’ revenue comes from private foundations, corporates, and major donors, and the majority of it is unrestricted. Partners include The TED Audacious Project, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, GAVI, J&J, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, and USAID.
Fundraising Strategy and Support (20%).
• Work with the Deputy Director, Major Gifts and Major Gifts Associate to refine and implement comprehensive major and individual gifts funding strategy, owning specific projects, in order to meet and grow our organization’s current $5M major gifts line item.
• Create specific donor engagement plans, establish workplans and implement overall funding strategy for mid-level donors (giving or with capacity to give $10K-$50K annually), under Deputy Director’s guidance.
• Serve as one of our internal experts trends and strategies within individual and family foundation giving, including emerging UHNWI philanthropists.
• Work within Major Gifts team to align fundraising efforts to Living Goods priorities; identify new and different ways of framing our work for potential funders.
• Contribute to the larger BD team’s collaborative work, including sharing learnings and results, brainstorming new ideas, and maintaining strong working relationships across revenue streams.
Frontline Fundraising and New Business/Prospect (35%).
• Engage with existing funders to leverage networks and opportunities for additional streams of funding (i.e. workplace giving, peer-to-peer giving), including execution support for donor-initiated fundraising projects, as appropriate.
• Identify new fundraising opportunities and work with the team to develop a significant pipeline of prospective donors. This may include prospect research, writing, editing, and tailoring LOIs & proposals, and/or working within LG’s existing networks to identify and leverage connections and introductions to new prospects.
• Work with Major Gifts team to maintain and improve relationships with third party donors who raise significant funds ($10K+ annually) for Living Goods on their own platforms.
• Solicit funds directly from donors and prospects, both independently and collaboratively, via meetings (video or in-person, as safe; phone calls; email; or other methods).
Writing and Donor Materials Production (35%).
• Build collaborative working relationships across geographically diverse team in order to liaise with colleagues on the Programs and Finance teams, as needed, to receive inputs for donor-facing materials.
• Draft, edit, finalize, and submit donor LOIs, proposals, and reports.
Data Maintenance and Reporting (10%).
• Maintain donor records in organization’s CRM and work with Major Gifts Associate and Business Development Coordinator to ensure clean data and accurate reporting on revenue stream donors and prospects.
• Track, report on and – where appropriate – work with Deputy Director to pivot fundraising approaches based on donor intel and trends.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
• 4+ years of major donor and/or individual fundraising experience.
• Bachelor’s Degree in any field preferred.
• Experience directly soliciting and closing 5-figure gifts preferred.
• Experience at multiple organizations of varying sizes a plus.
• Experience at international and/or public health focused organization a plus.
• Experience designing and implementing mid-level donor program, email marketing programs, annual fund programs a plus.
• Experience with CRM systems other than Salesforce a plus.
Competencies and Attributes
• Strategic thinker
• Relationship builder
• Communication skills (interpersonal and written)
• Collaborative spirit
• Project management skills
Want to learn more?