Manager – Operations and Maintenance
- Husk Power Energy Systems Nigeria Limited
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Interested and qualified candidate should forward their CV to
- Where to Apply
The Manager, Operations & Maintenance is a leadership position responsible for organizing, motivating, and leading the operations team within the country. This role is ultimately responsible for the projects and operation, safety, quality, efficiency, and customer experience of solar and biomass installation projects. Required to drive continuous improvement through operations in alignment with functional leadership. The candidate will have a track record of proven leadership abilities (communication, relationship building, training & development, employee relations, performance management, etc.) as well as biomass/ solar installation knowledge. The role presents a pathway to grow into the Head of Operations for the Nigeria business.
The individual should also be passionate about contributing to solve one of Nigeria’s most critical challenges – energy access deficit. This position provides the opportunity to join a growing team that is changing the face of rural electrification in many countries in Asia and Africa, including India, Tanzania, Nigeria etc.
• Play a key role as a member of the Management Team in crafting a robust
Operations & Maintenance Strategy.
• Work closely with the Country Manager and other members of the Nigerian
Management Team to deliver on business objectives.
• Support the optimization of various Husk NG activities to ensure best practices are
entrenched towards more efficient processes.
• Support in driving “Best Practices” across the business. Once a “Best Practice” has
been identified, ensure that the practice is visible nationally and to another
• Support in negotiating solutions, resolve conflicts and provide solutions in the best
interest of Husk Power Systems, and our clients and employees across potential mini
grid (and other) locations.
• Understand the priorities of the country operations and support the Country Team
• Provide requisite support and inputs on building and aligning various company
processes and policies according to global best practices.
• Manage, motivate, and mentor Supervisors along with a variety of personnel
involved in the installation and maintenance of solar projects to create a positive,
constructive, and performance driven dynamic, while driving efficiencies.
• Evaluate and manage the resources and processes required for the successful
completion of solar and Bio Mass projects in Nigeria with relevant teams.
• Ensures the focus on Safety, Quality, Customers Service, and Profitability
• Uphold the importance of adhering to all safety practices, ensuring that each team
member receives the proper safety training and equipment applicable to their
• Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
• Work closely with the HO Operations team at India to provide accurate installation
forecasts, set performance targets, deliver branch performance reporting, and
create action plans as needed.
• Plan and monitor the day to day running of the plants to ensure smooth progress.
• Lead the Nigeria O&M Team in managing a portfolio of Solar PV/biomass plants,
ensuring that all O&M works are undertaken in accordance with the contractual
scope, efficiently and effectively.
• Utilize data to drive decision making, process improvement, and uncover
performance, cost or quality opportunities.
• Understand and manage sites’ performance to key performance metrics.
• Responsible for the day-to-day supervision of Operations & Maintenance activities of
• Ensures completion of Technical documents; grid outages, onsite equipment
problems, log entries, site visitation; safety and environmental inspections.
• Prepare and share monthly plant status’ reports for the Business Planning team with
a focus on targets, plant performance management and highlighting key needs for
each rolling quarter.
• Maintain daily, weekly, monthly and yearly equipment healthiness checklist;
Preventive maintenance planning; Shutdown planning; Daily reading logbook etc.
• Responsible for smooth functioning of Solar PV/ Biomass Power Plants and
implementing effective techniques to ensure plants’ efficient performance.
Business Growth and Support
• Ensure support for other Business Units to ensure alignment with operational
• Co-accountability with Business Unit Heads for the financial performance of sites
• Work closely with the Business Unit Heads to understand sales performance
trending and position resources as required by sales volume.
• Support business growth and continuous cost & quality improvements in the
• Work to ensure that we are delivering an excellent customer experience and resolve
escalated installation issues and customer concerns with all necessary internal
departments and stakeholders.
• Coordinate, maintain regular communication, and develop positive and productive
relationships with various community groups/stakeholders, internal stakeholders,
customer/client groups etc.
• Actively contribute to the development of company’s Business plan, ensuring
alignment with global directions.
• Contribute towards long-term organizational strategic goals, build key relationships,
identify business opportunities, negotiate and support the end-to-end process for
General Skills & Attributes
● Ability to develop and update professional knowledge and skills quickly and
efficiently. Ability to apply professional knowledge and skills in the advancement of
● Proven proactive approach to systems integration and management.
● Quickly and successfully implements changes and improvements in operational
activities and services. Effectively carries out tasks that are required by the Global
Leadership and Nigeria Management team in addition to carrying out own role.
● Adapts to changes in company strategy whilst developing own strategy to achieve
personal goals of competently owning and managing processes.
● Has a collaborative attitude and the ability to drive that through across other
business units and work functions.
● Understands company strategy and vision and is able to drive that through across to
other employees across the organization.
● Assesses own development needs and develops self to improve job performance
and fulfil future potential. Contributes to the team ethos and instilling the values of
● The ability to evaluate and convey complex information to others in an effective
manner through concise communication skills and clear presentation skills in both
verbal and written contexts.
● Should possess requisite skill sets- active listening, speaking, reading,
comprehension, critical thinking, performance monitoring, time management,
people management, material resource management, effective time management,
judgment and decision making, teaching, coaching, and social awareness.
● Should possess knowledge of applicable regulations and standards, customer and
personal service, administration and management.
• Could work in outdoor weather conditions at certain times
• Have adequate visual and hearing acuity to follow instructions; and determine
accuracy of the work assigned
• Ability to work in rural, peri-urban locations as required
• Ability to drive a vehicle during the normal course of business. Must possess a
driver’s licence, maintain a clean driving record with the ability to pass a driving
Does this sound like you?
● Graduate from a leading institution with a related degree in Engineering, Sciences or
Social Sciences. Postgraduate degree and/or related professional qualifications, a
● 3 – 5 years of work experience in Infra/telecom/energy/solar/ renewable energy etc
where last 3 years working as Ops or project management.
● A clearly defined strategic thought process and a continuous improvement mindset
with excellent problem-solving skills.
● Must have experience managing and coordinating large multi-cultural teams
towards achieving common goal and objectives.
● This position requires risk analysis, critical thinking and the ability to provide time-
bound solutions to the benefit of the company, and projects.
• Lead by example and offer support/co-ordination to company workflow as required.
● Operationally focused; detailed oriented but able to grasp big picture
● Excellent skills with MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint and project management
tools (MS Project, Asana, Slack etc)
● Business level fluency in major Nigerian languages, a plus
● Dependability, attention to detail, cooperation, stress tolerance, concern for others,
initiative, leadership, self-control, and independence are the desired pre-requisites.