Market Research – Product Manager
- Burn Manufacturing
- Ruiru, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- Please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in the following filename format: <[First Name, Last Name], Market Research – Product Manager [CV/Cover Letter], [Date]>. Email Subject Line: Market Research – Product Manager
- Where to Apply
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s bestselling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emission.
Not only do we sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only cookstove company which manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are extremely proud to employ 250+ team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce which is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 500,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~20,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
BURN is currently seeking a mission-driven candidate to serve a 12-month term as a Market Research Product Coordinator for a promising new electric cooking appliance. BURN seeks an experienced data collector and market research team member. Applicants should be available to start work immediately.
The project encompasses research designed to collect customer feedback on a new electric product for product development milestones, and pilots / collecting user feedback from home placements. These will quickly scale, from pilots of 40 households to 300+ households, and the team member should be prepared to manage the customer identification, product distribution, data collection, analysis and reporting associated with these studies.
BURN has been developing, testing, and bringing to market new cooking products for 10+ years in Kenya. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to join a growing market research team beyond the demands of this specific project and contribute to a fast-moving company committed to improving economic, environmental, and social outcomes in East Africa.
• Overall: For this role, the employee will:
o Collaborate closely with the rest of the market research team, the product development team, and the broader Research & Development team at BURN to ensure effective and efficient product development and provide detailed reports to project and company leadership.
o Coordinate implementation and supervision efforts for this market research at all levels.
o Routinely assess whether project activities are in-line to achieve programmatic outcomes; swiftly develop and validate alternate strategies if not.
• Design: The employee will design market research and customer research studies to support the product development process, meeting time & budget constraints. These studies will include quantitative data collection, qualitative data collection (such as semi-structured interviews), as well as exploring innovative customer feedback data collection techniques (such as home visits, focus groups, willingness-to-pay auctions, test sales, and more). The employee will:
o Research product feedback data collection techniques across industry.
o Refine the relevant research questions, working with other team members.
o Prepare study plans for review by other team members, including detailed overviews of research methods, timelines, and logistics.
o Create questionnaires, surveys, interview guides, and other materials as needed to collect robust feedback from customers.
o Pilot the study materials and refine the methodology.
o Manage timelines and grant-funded milestones.
• Data Collection: The employee will manage pilots from prototype production through field tests to commercial distribution. As needed, the employee will:
o Recruit customers for studies.
o Manage the product preparation and the distribution to test customers for test-sales and home visits.
o Hire data collectors and additional team members. Train, supervise, and monitor the performance of project staff.
o Manage logistics (travel, transport, and lodging) as needed.
o Manage advance requests for the whole team and ensure all expenditures are in line with set budgets. Forecast expenditures and ensure financial planning so activities are not delayed.
o For smaller studies, the employee will be expected to conduct the data collection him/herself. The employee will conduct customer interviews, surveys, or focus groups as needed.
• Analysis and reporting: The employee will be responsible for data cleaning, analysis, and presentation to the broader BURN team. Reports happen frequently (approx. every two weeks) so the employee will need to analyze data and synthesize key findings quickly. The employee will:
o Use Excel (or other program) to collect quantitative insights, code qualitative data, and pull out key insights and findings.
o Create well-written reports (primarily in Powerpoint) showing the study overview, key findings, next steps, and how this relates to the product development plan.
o Answer questions from other team members about details of the study conducted.
o When necessary, contribute to grant reporting by providing more detailed study documentation.
o Give advice on training and marketing materials based on the insights from customer feedback.
• The ideal team member will be hands-on, not afraid to express his/her ideas in team meetings, offer insightful feedback, pitch in and take ownership of the market research.
• Travel around Kenya required. Some travel to other countries in the region (Uganda, Tanzania) may be required depending on pilot structures.
• The applicant should have a demonstrated ability to work independently and display strong attention to detail. We are looking for a self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative.
• The ideal candidate should be able to collect diverse customer feedback insightfully, openly, and with empathy.
• The ideal candidate will:
o Be highly productive and internally motivated.
o Work well against complex delivery schedules.
o Be culturally adaptable and sensitive.
o Have a sense of humor and ability to roll with the punches.
• Bachelor’s degree (required) or Master’s degree (preferred) in relevant field (management, technology, science, engineering, energy, electronics, statistics, M&E).
• 3+ years of experience with data collection and team management in Kenya, with at least 1 year of managing a project budget, data collection team, and deliverables.
o knowledge and experience in planning and executing quantitative and qualitative research methodologies in all stages of product life cycle.
o Experience with collecting quantitative data, such as using a tablet. (Experience writing and coding surveys a plus.)
o Experience with collecting, coding, and analyzing qualitative data such as in-depth interviews, observations, focus groups, etc.
• Excellent computer skills with fluency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Basic excel data analysis, cleaning, and visualization. (Stata, R, MySQL, or advanced Excel analysis a plus.)
• Fluency in Swahili required. Strong oral and written communication skills are necessary, in English and Swahili.
• Kenyan national preferred but international sponsorship possible for the right candidate.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information on BURN please visit www.burnstoves.com
BURN is a corruption-free business, and in accordance with its graft policy there is zero tolerance for giving or receiving bribes or allowing any other undue influence on our operations.