Market Systems Manager (India)
- Habitat for Humanity of India (HFH India)
- Bangalore, India
- Job Type
- In-Country National
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Habitat for Humanity of India (HFH India) is currently seeking a talented professional for the role of a Market Systems Manager based in Bangalore, India. This position is part of a larger, global initiative sponsored by the Ron Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter. The Market Systems Manager will lead the efforts to facilitate improved market systems in the low-income housing market in India. This will be carried out using market development principles, including advancing housing value-chain related activities by partnering with market actors and assisting them in making housing markets work more efficiently and inclusively.
JOB TITLE: Market Systems Manager
JOB LOCATION: Bangalore, India (candidates must be currently eligible to work in India)
TARGETED START DATE: January 2017
In line with the Indian government’s vision of “Housing for All” for all, HFH India believes that every person has the right to safe and adequate shelter. It is estimated that more than 73 million families in India do not have access to decent shelter. HFH India began operations in Khammam, Andhra Pradesh state, southeastern India, in 1983. Among the largest Habitat programs in the Asia-Pacific region, it has helped nearly 135,000 families gain access to decent shelter as well as rebuild their homes and lives in the aftermath of disasters. By 2019, HFH India plans to reach 500,000 low-income families with improved housing solutions, safe sanitation and clean water and as well as post-disaster reconstruction.
ABOUT THE TERWILLIGER CENTER FOR INNOVATION IN SHELTER:
The Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter works with housing market systems by supporting local firms and expanding innovative and client-responsive services, products and financing so that households can improve their shelter more effectively and efficiently. Acting as a market facilitator through the Terwilliger Center, Habitat for Humanity will have exponentially more impact by improving systems that make better housing possible for millions more families, most of whom build their homes in stages. The Terwilliger Center’s approach stays true to Habitat for Humanity’s original principles of self-help and sustainability by focusing on improving systems that enable families to achieve affordable shelter without needing ongoing direct support.
1. Lead the design and management of a portfolio housing market development projects in India.
2. Seek out and pursue new business opportunities to intervene in various components of the housing market system. Prepare project proposals, including establishing project teams and partnerships.
Identify the opportunities, challenges and gaps within the affordable housing sector by conducting a market mapping of the following:
1. Private sector housing actors.
2. Supporting services to the housing market.
3. Public sector organizations, including the regulatory and policy framework that affects the affordable housing market.
4. Facilitate market-based solutions for affordable housing by working with market actors and other key stakeholders.
5. Develop and maintain a network of consultants and subject matter experts in housing and private sector development.
6. Build partnerships with like-minded organizations with complementary skills and interests.
7. Oversee the budget and reporting for housing market development projects.
8. Identify opportunities to present Habitat for Humanity’s market systems work at conferences and industry events.
9. Engage and collaborate with Habitat for Humanity’s global market systems practitioners and mentors through webinars, peer-to-peer networking events, learning forums, e-discussions and delivery of case studies.
10. Support another Ron Terwilliger Fellow and participate in regional team activities.
1. University degree in economics, business administration, international development or a related field. Master degree or doctorate is a plus.
2. 7+ years professional experience in market systems development or value chain approaches for national or international development programs, individually or as part of a consulting firm.
3. Demonstrated private sector experience and knowledge of the role of private sector actors, the functioning of markets and the opportunities for inclusive economic growth in India.
4. Knowledge of affordable housing and the challenges inherent to India. Professional experience of working in the housing sector is a plus.
5. Experience designing and implementing frameworks to monitor and measure results for market systems or value chain programs.
6. Good communication and interpersonal skills, such as a proven ability to deal with staff, collaborators and partners from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures.
7. Outstanding written and verbal English communication skills – in particular the ability to write clearly, succinctly and engagingly about technical subjects.
8. Willingness to travel domestically up to 40% of the time and globally as required.
9. Candidates must be currently eligible to work in India.
Habitat for Humanity India is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national, origin, ethnic, background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please apply directly at http://www.habitat.org/about/careers/market-systems-manager-india.