- Kampala, Uganda
- Job Type
- Where to Apply
UpEnergy (www.upenergygroup.com) is a retail and distribution company that makes clean energy technologies available to people in the developing world by addressing the last mile distribution challenge. We source high quality, energy-efficient technologies like cookstoves, water filters and solar lights from reputable manufacturers. These are
marketed and sold under our SmartHome brand through a our national SmartHome retail network, and through 3rd party distribution channels. UpEnergy has powered 100% sales growth nationally over the past 3 years with financing generated by quantifying the carbon savings associated with our products and marketing them through the Clean Development Mechanism.
In Uganda, UpEnergy has been in operation since 2011 and has built a network of sales and distribution partners to support ongoing sales of our products. We have a dynamic and fully operational local team that operates under the SmartHome brand. The Kampala team performs sales, finance, marketing and inventory management functions. The company is presently in an exciting growth phase and is looking for passionate and talented professionals to join our team.
The Marketing Fellowship – Kampala, Uganda
We are seeking an entrepreneur with marketing experience and interest in clean energy, rural distribution, and global health to serve as a 1-year Fellow in our Kampala office. This position will hold significant levels of responsibility in multiple areas of the business over time, including marketing, data analytics, sales, business strategy and execution,
monitoring and evaluation, and will have the potential for advancement to longer-term leadership positions within the company (national and/or global level).
The Fellow position is designed to provide the candidate with a broad exposure to a social business that is pioneering last-mile distribution of energy-saving products. The Fellow will help manage specific areas of the business as well as lead distinct initiatives in the company, under the mentorship and direction of the Managing Director. The role requires
cultural sensitivity, entrepreneurial drive, comfort using data and designing marketing initiatives, and analytical business thinking. This person must enjoy and thrive in a hands-on business role which requires ingenuity, attention to detail, and a lot of grit.
Specific position responsibilities include:
• Increase revenue and social impact by designing and implementing marketing initiatives across Uganda
• Conduct rigorous testing of marketing initiatives in the field and develop method for measuring impact
• Analyze data to assess effectiveness of marketing initiatives
• Develop SMS marketing campaigns, conduct A/B testing in the challenging Ugandan context, develop and test promotions, bundling, and other marketing strategies
• Manage a brand update to reflect the evolving value proposition of UpEnergy products
• Represent the company to a diverse group of clients and stakeholders, including business partners, schools, health facilities, NGOs, and various levels of government
• Help advance an entrepreneurial company culture that develops and implements ideas in support of innovation and scale
• Demonstrate professional growth potential and ability to assume greater levels of responsibility over time
Skills and Experience:
• Demonstrated experience in, and aptitude for tackling marketing challenges in an entrepreneurial environment.
• Strong business and marketing experience with excellent quantitative and analytical skills
• An entrepreneurial mindset, creative, ambitious and able to take initiative on new projects and demonstrate strong leadership
• Passionate about UpEnergy’s mission and entrepreneurial approaches to global development challenges, with basic knowledge of clean energy products and rural marketing and distribution
• Experience managing programs and projects with outstanding results
• High level of creativity and the desire to develop new, innovative programs
• Fluency with the basic statistical methods required to effectively design and run marketing tests
• Superior relationship management skills and the ability to drive results
• Fluent English and excellent written and oral communication skills required
• Must possess grit, emotional intelligence and a good sense of humor
Location: The Marketing Fellow will be based in Kampala with occasional travel around Uganda.
Compensation: Locally competitive, commensurate with experience
How to Apply:
Please email a short cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Use the subject “Marketing Fellow” in all e-mail correspondence. No phone calls or posted mail applications, please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
UpEnergy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.