Mechanical Engineer, Technology Development
- Village Industrial Power
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
- Felicity Lodgeinfo@villageindustrialpower.com
About Village Industrial Power
Village Industrial Power (VIP) is an early stage, venture backed social enterprise startup that is commercializing an innovative energy solution for rural enterprises and communities throughout sub-Saharan Africa. Our initial product, the VIP10, is a small-scale, biomass-based steam power plant that transforms wood and waste biomass residues into mechanical, thermal, and electrical energy (10kW). We have five prototype units located in Tanzania and Benin, and over the next year, will be setting up additional market trials in Ghana. VIP is an awardee of USAID’s Powering Agriculture: An Energy Grand Challenge for Development innovation competition, and has received initial seed investment from Colorado-based Factor(E) Ventures.
We are recruiting an energetic, creative, hands-on, and commercially minded mechanical engineer to join our core team.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in machine fabrication, small-scale factory setup, and mechanical problem solving. The position will require both hands-on and CAD design capacity with respect to the engineering requirements of the system. The major responsibilities of the role will include: rigorous technology testing and data collection, the development of standardize operating and maintenance procedures, the development of manufacturing and marketing drawings, and the international training of technicians and end-users in target markets in sub-Saharan Africa.
This is an ideal position for a hands-on mechanical engineer seeking to join an early stage technology startup and deliver transformative, global impact. The position will require an intense and creative pace of work, creativity and resourcefulness, and a keen ability to navigate the cultural and physical uncertainties of fieldwork in rural sub-Saharan Africa.
· Proven Product Performance, including 1000 hour MTBF, and 10 kW sustained output
· Development of improved parts sourcing and procurement strategy
· 50% reduction in production manufacturing time
· 40% reduction in production cost
· Full documentation of product and production processes and analytical models required for further performance optimization.
· Technical contributions to the development of technician and end-user training and operations manuals
· Development of Manufacturing and Marketing diagrams/drawings
· Strengthen production team performance and establish morale
· B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
· Experience designing production processes and working in a production environment (preferred)
· Experience in a startup environment where a collaborative team approach is employed, often under ambiguity
· Experience commissioning small- or medium-scale machinery preferred
· Experience and knowledge of engine operation and design
· Hiring, training and building successful multi-cultural teams (or willingness to be part of the process)
· Demonstrated ability to trouble-shoot, problem-solve and make decisions on the spot
· Experience travelling and working internationally preferred (or willingness!)
· Willingness to travel domestically as required to attend conferences or manufacturing sites
What we are additionally looking for in a candidate:
· Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
· High energy combined with intellectual curiosity
· A passion to create positive impact in the world through sustainable business
· Flexibility, a sense of adventure and humor, and an ability to go with the flow
· Experience operating in remote areas of frontier and emerging markets
· A willingness to work long, hard, and intense hours
· Comfort with working in Bradford, VT – a peaceful corner in a beautiful part of the country, 20 minutes from Hanover, N.H. and White River Junction, VT, 2-1/2hrs from Boston, MA with excellent bus service, and about 90 minutes southeast of Burlington, VT.