Mechanical Engineering Fellow
- BURN Manufacturing USA LLC
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- How to Apply
- To apply if you are based outside of Kenya, please send an up to date CV and cover letter to email@example.com; if you are in Kenya please apply through the following link : https://www.fuzu.com/company/burn-manufacturing/cf
- Where to Apply
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Kenya’s bestselling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emission.
Not only do we sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but BURN is also the only Jiko company which manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are extremely proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and support a workforce which is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold more than 500,000+ Jikokoa TM stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $151 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~15,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months.
• Work with the product development team on design for manufacturability and robustness.
• Development of manufacturing processes, including tools for fabrication, assembly, finishing, and
infrastructural materials, among others.
• Trouble shooting production issues and further refining the production system. This often requires creativity
and resourcefulness to keep the factory running while waiting for proper repairs or components.
• Take a leadership role in bringing up new production lines.
• Evaluation, maintenance and repair of factory equipment including mechanical and hydraulic presses, shears,
spot welders and drill presses.
• Creating and editing SOP’s and QC inspection documents
• Work closely with and help to train QC inspectors, technicians and production personnel in enhancing the
quality and manufacturability of our product
BURN is currently seeking a mission driven Mechanical Engineer Fellow for our factory in Ruiru, Nairobi, Kenya.
• Mechanical engineering background
• Mechanical aptitude: ability to troubleshoot and repair mechanical issues with production tools & equipment
• Familiarity with basic shop machines and tools: manual mill, lathe, drill press
• Solidworks CAD skills: able to read drawings and complete basic design work
• Familiarity with basic metrology as it applies to our stove parts and tooling
• Welding and fabrication skills are preferable
• Electrical control system basics is desirable
• High level organizational skills
• Works well in team setting with line employees and technicians
This is a twelve month fellowship in Ruiru (just outside Nairobi), Kenya to begin in Q1 2020. Fellows receive a stipend of $1,200 per month and housing in a company house in Nairobi. BURN will provide one round trip flight at the beginning and end of the fellowship.