Mechanical Engineering Fellow
- BURN Manufacturing USA LLC
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Africa’s best-selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood clean cookstoves. Not only do our products save money, fuel and natural resources, but they also dramatically reduce harmful indoor smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death.
With more than 500,000 stoves sold since 2013, BURN has established itself as Africa’s most trusted cookstove brand thanks to our unwavering commitment to innovative research and design, manufacturing excellence, and customer care.
BURN manufactures its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and East Africa, and support a workforce which is 60 percent female, thus empowering women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
BURN is currently seeking a mission driven candidate to serve a 12-month term as Mechanical Engineer Fellow in our manufacturing facility in Nairobi, Kenya.
General areas of engagement include:
• Work with the product development team on design for manufacturability and robustness.
• Development of manufacturing processes, including tools for fabrication, assembly, finishing, and infrastructural materials, among others.
• Trouble shooting production issues and further refining the production system. This often requires creativity and resourcefulness to keep the factory running while waiting for proper repairs or components.
• Take a leadership role in bringing up new production lines.
• Evaluation, maintenance and repair of factory equipment including mechanical and hydraulic presses, shears, spot welders and drill presses.
• Creating and editing SOP’s and QC inspection documents
• Work closely with and help to train QC inspectors, technicians and production personnel in enhancing the quality and manufacturability of our product
• Mechanical engineering background
• Mechanical aptitude: ability to troubleshoot and repair mechanical issues with production equipment and tooling
• Familiarity with basic shop machines and tools: manual mill, lathe, drill press
• Solidworks CAD skills: able to read drawings and complete basic design work
• Familiarity with basic metrology as it applies to our stove parts and tooling
• Welding and fabrication skills are preferable
• Electrical control system basics is desirable
• High level organizational skills
• Works well in team setting with line employees and technicians
DURATION: 12 months
• Fellows receive a stipend of $1,100, roundtrip travel to Kenya, and housing in the company house
• To apply please visit, https://www.fuzu.com/company/