Mechanical Engineering Fellow
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- Please submit a cover letter and resume to info(at)gogrit(dot)org with subject line "Mechanical Engineering Fellow."
GRIT is seeking an energetic Mechanical Engineering Fellow to join its team as part of a grant-funded project in India. You will help us redesign our award-winning Leveraged Freedom Chair (LFC) to improve product quality and manufacturability. This includes design for manufacturing, user testing, and scaling production with our contract manufacturing facility in India. You will report directly to the CTO.
This position is based in India. You will spend approximately 80% of your time at our manufacturing facility and 20% of your time in other parts of India.
About the Company
GRIT is one of Boston’s highest-impact social enterprises. Our innovative LFC is an all-terrain mobility device that helps people with disabilities get off-road and on with their lives. We are passionate about improving quality of life for underserved populations and believe in a user-focused design process. GRIT has been recognized by National Geographic, Fast Company, R&D 100 and more.
You have an opportunity to join us as we dramatically improve the lives of our customers around the world. Given the nature of this position, you also have an opportunity to travel around India and understand the broader context of international development.
Roles and Responsibilities
– Work with the GRIT team to finalize the production-ready design
– Design for manufacturing to improve quality and reduce cost
– Oversee prototype production
– Conduct user testing with GRIT’s NGO partners in India
– Analyze data to improve design
– Manage development of production tooling
– Establish quality control protocols
– BS in Mechanical Engineering or similar field
– 1-3 years working in a design or manufacturing role
– Experience living and working in a developing country
– Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
– Desire to live and work in India
– (Bonus) Ability to communicate in Hindi
This is a 12-24 month Fellowship starting September 2015. Salary is commensurate with experience. Travel and accommodation expenses will be covered.