Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator
- Semilla Nueva
- Guatemala City, Guatemala
- Job Type
- Deadline for Applications
- Contact Information
MONITORING & EVALUATION COORDINATOR
Summary of the organization
Semilla Nueva works with Guatemalan smallholder farmers and their families to teach techniques that increase incomes, rebuild soils, and produce more nutritious foods. We achieve this through three primary activities: 1) Technology Development – through collaborations with national and international research institutions, and through scientific trials at our own Experimental Farm, SN researches and refines the best technologies for smallholder corn farmers. 2) Farmer to Farmer Development – Our field technicians work with local farmers to experiment with new, sustainable technologies on their own land, analyze the results of new technologies versus conventional practices, and then share the results with neighbors through community and regional conferences. 3) Institutionalization – SN helps organize farmers at the local level to build their own agricultural extension networks, and then collaborates with government and NGO institutions to create a sustainable system. Our aim is to work with farmers and the appropriate local institutions to build a functioning, lasting agricultural development system in Guatemala, ultimately putting ourselves out of a job.
We’re dedicated to being leaders in agricultural development, and communicating our successes, failures, and lessons learned is essential to the long-term achievement of that goal. In the last year we have grown tremendously as an organization. We received our first large, institutional grants, won prestigious awards with Huffington Post and Ashoka, and doubled our budget and program reach. Our programs are beginning to generate interest among larger organizations and influence government policy. We are proud to have maintained a passionate and committed team with great relationships with our partner farmers. We are looking for a new team member who wants to share their skills and experience to help our organization grow, but equally looking for a team member who shares our values and passions.
Summary of the position
We are hiring Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator to oversee the impact assessment, continual monitoring, and reporting of our programs. Over the last three years we have worked hard to develop strong relationships with funding institutions that support our work including the Inter-American Foundation, Conservation, Food and Health Foundation, and Rotary International among others. The M&E Coordinator will take the lead in submitting program and financial reports to all donors, explaining our successes and lessons learned to maintain and grow these relationships.
The Coordinator will also take lead on developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation systems as we begin to launch our first commercial enterprise. In 2016, Semilla Nueva shifted to a focus in biofortification, and our M&E systems need to be updated to reflect this shift in programmatic focus. This position would allow for the design and management of systems to measure our impact through social marketing as well as identify our reach across the country, as we scale through partners.
The position will be based primarily in the SN main office in Guatemala City. While the majority of the work is office-based, the position will require frequent travel to our communities and Experimental Center in Suchitepequez for impact assessment activities including surveys, data-gathering, and participation at community and regional events with farmers and NGOs.
• Excellent writing/communications skills
• Experience in developing, implementing and/or maintaining monitoring and evaluation systems; a solid understanding of M&E practices
• Donor reporting experience
• Grant writing and project design experience
• Spanish-English Bilingual
• International Development experience
• Demonstrated interest in rural agriculture and food security
• Budgeting experience (monitoring program budgets)
• Demonstrated leadership, stress-management and flexibility in the work environment
• Ability to drive a manual transmission vehicle (for travel to the field)
• Accounting or financial management experience
• Agricultural Experience/knowledge
• Donor relationship management experience
– Full-time position based in Guatemala City
– Minimum commitment one year, preferably two
– Ability to work independently, proactively, and prioritize/coordinate a variety of activities
– Ability to creatively problem-solve in difficult work environments
– Must be comfortable traveling to and staying in rural parts of Guatemala with difficult living conditions.
– Must be comfortable driving in Guatemala and have a valid Driver’s License
1. Monitor and report on existing grants – SN currently has roughly 11 major funders (and growing) to whom we are required to submit both program and financial reports at various intervals, requiring the ability to multitask and maintain information on all current grants at once. This requires gathering appropriate data from field team and executing various M&E activities to obtain information for program reports, speaking with the Development Director to understand the grant goals and the grantors’ interests to develop an appropriate narrative, and working with the accountant to ensure adequate management of grant funds and development of financial reports.
2. Develop and Maintain M&E tools – Our current team has developed tools to gather information on a frequent basis, including an annual community survey, experimental parcel analysis packets which are filled out with each farmer, participation lists and databases to monitor growing participation in our programs, and more. After shifting our focus toward biofortification in 2016, these systems – while important for the current reporting we are required to do, and a good base for future M&E – are in need of an upgrade. The incoming M&E Coordinator will be responsible for designing an updated system, and collecting data on new indicators such as responses to our social marketing campaigns, sales efforts, and collaborative work around the country. This data is gathered for reporting purposes, communications materials, and for our Quarterly and Annual Reports to the Board of Directors. This part of the job will require the most leadership and creativity.
3. Financial Oversight – The M&E Director will assist the Financial and Administrative Director on monitoring project budgets and developing budget performance reports for various entities. The Coordinator will participate in the regular communication between the development and finance/admin team to ensure that the allocation of donations is appropriate, accurate and reported correctly.
4. Relationship Building – The M&E Coordinator will also work to ensure that our funders are kept up to date with our progress, building relationships and ensuring future funding. This may include off-schedule update reporting, leading in-country verification visits, and working with the development team to ensure that foundations are kept up to date on the programs they fund. This will require excellent public relations skills and the ability to gather both qualitative and quantitate information from our programs and adequately and appropriately communicate it to a number of diverse institutions.
Beginning date: ASAP
Salary: Competitive local salary, dependent on experience
Before applying, please review our website, blog, and annual reports which are found at www.Semillanueva.org
To apply please send a cover letter explaining your interest in SN and the position and a current, detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note “M&E Coordinator” in the subject line.