Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Director
- Village Enterprise
- Deadline for Applications
- Where to Apply
- To Apply: Interested applicants please send CV/Resume and Cover Letter to ajd@VillageEnterprise.org with the subject line MEL Director. CV/Resume and cover letter only please, no additional diplomas or supporting documents.
- M&E Role:
- Manage and assess Village Enterprise Business Owner targeting (an ultra-poor targeting process);
- Oversee and increase the quality and efficiency of core program and special project monitoring;
- Provide monitoring data to Country Directors and Assistant Country Directors in Kenya and Uganda for managerial decision-making and provide recommendations for action based on results of studies and field experiments;
- Research new econometric and statistical tools and models for teasing out program impacts
- Design and lead special project evaluations, write reports for funders;
- Manage relations with external evaluation partners for disseminating results of ongoing impact evaluation;
- Supervise the training of staff and Enumerators on data collection, interviewing, data entry, analysis and other tasks as required;
- Design new survey tools; quantitative and qualitative
o Give presentations on M&E projects, progress, data collection, and analysis
o Identify conferences and journals for submission of research papers, white papers, or posters for presentation
- Operations Role:
- Assist in the implementation, monitoring and expansion of the Village Enterprise core program;
- Attend regular management meetings with in-country staff and US office;
- Train trainers, mentor other employees and build capacity in country offices;
- Act as a liaison between the Field Operations Team and Development Team in the US.
Qualified Applicants should be able to answer ‘yes’ to all these questions:
- Do you have a Master’s degree with concentration(s) in International Development, Development Economics, Agricultural Economics, Statistics or other applied social research or Do you have a BA + 5 years M&E experience?
- Do you have previous experience in both quantitative and qualitative evaluation?
- Do you like to take on leadership roles and responsibilities?
- Have you lived, worked, or travelled in Africa, preferably working in M&E?
- Do you have experience in evaluation design, survey design, RCT design, regression discontinuity, difference in difference models?
- Are you bored if you are not consistently challenged?
- Are you able to use Excel to analyze data, create budgets and develop financial reports?
- Do you have experience with any of the following stats packages: SPSS, STATA, SAS?
- Can you balance self-managing, taking ownership of goals, developing work plans and self-deadlines with strong teamwork?
- Can you keep your cool while communicating via skype with less-than-effective internet bandwidth?
- Are you dedicated to producing high quality reports, projects, and products?
- Do you have a passion for innovative approaches to poverty reduction?
- Can you demonstrate strong project management skills, and experience developing project timelines and meeting deadlines?
- Can you write a concise paragraph about your excellent writing and oral communication skills?
Language: Fluency in English required; Swahili is not required
About Village Enterprise:
Village Enterprise is an innovative microenterprise development organization working in East Africa. Our mission is to equip people living in extreme poverty with resources to create sustainable businesses.
Village Enterprise provides business skills and financial literacy training, seed capital, on-going mentoring, and the formation of business savings groups to new entrepreneurs. This year we have helped 9,000 East Africans start over 3,000 new businesses.
Village Enterprise began in 1987 and, since then, has started over 30,000 microenterprises and impacted over 660,000 lives. During the next five years, we plan to significantly expand our program, evaluation and innovation efforts to increase the impact of microenterprise development in rural East Africa.
- Innovation and continuous improvement at the core of our program delivery— Village Enterprise was recently nominated as one of Rockefeller Foundation’s 100 Next Century Innovators (among 1000+ applicants).
- Exceptionally strong and rigorous monitoring & evaluation (M&E) processes in the field—Village Enterprise recently launched an extensive, three-year Randomized Control Trial (RCT), implemented by BRAC research.
- Highly qualified and dedicated management and program delivery teams—Village Enterprise’s local leadership model was recently highlighted in the 10th anniversary issue of The Stanford Social Innovation Review.